LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 331 users in the forums

Hills' Leash

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
REALLY?? I sure didn't see any threads calling out Hill, when we were winning, or even articles. Replies yes, but not threads, well except from a few Pro Smith fans out there, but this really isn't about Smith right now, I don't want it to get to that. But seriously, from my opinion, the OC and O-line account for a lot more of the problems around here than our little QB situation.

You probably saw them in the "Locked" Thread area. I posted a couple times that I thought Hill sucked, and all those threads got locked.

thats because anything Anti Hill is locked and thrown away in the "not allowed" vault. Hill is the greatest QB to ever play the game.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Or when our QB has more rushing yards than our RB.

Misleading stat. Hill took off (rightfully so) because Atlanta was playing soft.

Kind of like those delayed handoffs you see on 3rd and 15 to pad those running stats.

-9fA

Of course, I know that. But the fact of the matter is, its tough on a QB when there is no running game.

And it's hard to have a running game when the QB doesn't scare anyone. Hill must play better and then everything else will follow.

Sure bout that??

2003 Ravens - Jamal Lewis rushed for 2,000 plus yards with a terrible QB rotation

2004 Redskins - Clinton Portis rushed for 1,300 plus yards with a crappy QB rotation

2006 49ers - Frank Gore rushed for 1,700 yards

Its not that hard to realize that the O-line is a huge part of the offenses problems.

Yeah, of course. OL is a big reason for it, but everything goes hand-in-hand. Gore had 1,695 yards in 2006. That year we had a good running game and Alex Smith had his best season. Gore hasn't come close to that total since, and the OL has a lot to do with it, but so does the QB. I guarantee that if teams respected the pass more, our run game would improve.

Also, look at the RBs you mentioned. Those are some good backs. But I think it's pretty obvious that both our OL and QB must play better, and that will help out our running game.

Sure Gore had 1,695 yards rushing and Smith had his career best that year, but Smith also had bad games and we atleast played out the season with him. Its been only one bad lost with Hill, why is everyone jumping ship now??

The ability of any QB to go down the field helps keep defenses honest. Yep, even if the QB is not entirely accurate and throws a few picks here and there, that ability will still keep a defense more honest than what Shaun Hill has showed this season. Even bad QBs have the ability to make a play down the field and defenses have to account for that, no matter how many picks they may throw. With Shaun Hill they don't, it's pretty simple.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by legend8:
Looks as if Sing has put Hill on bench watch, if the Niners lose the next two games or even the next he will be benched.

ah, legend8, one of the ultimate Hill haters... glad to see your back! Funny that you pop up when a Hill article shows up.

As far as the bench, I didn't really get that he was saying anything about benching Hill. I am not sure where people got that out of that article. If anything, when Sing says "Hill is our guy" and "I don't want our QB looking over at the bench worried about losing his starting job." that would make me think that Sing make stick with Hill even if he does poorly... saying stuff like "Alex Smith is never out of the picture" does not imply hill is on a short leash. Any second string QB, on any team, is never out of the picture. I think Hill should be on a shorter leash, which really depends on what he does in Houston and Indy...

How come it's gotta be hatred for Hill?

How come it can't be unsatisfied with the performance at QB1?

Our QB1 sucks.

The question is could any or ALL of our QBs' do what is expected of and what our QB1 has done to this point.

If you answered yes then it's not about "hate".

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Looks as if Sing has put Hill on bench watch, if the Niners lose the next two games or even the next he will be benched.

ah, legend8, one of the ultimate Hill haters... glad to see your back! Funny that you pop up when a Hill article shows up.

As far as the bench, I didn't really get that he was saying anything about benching Hill. I am not sure where people got that out of that article. If anything, when Sing says "Hill is our guy" and "I don't want our QB looking over at the bench worried about losing his starting job." that would make me think that Sing make stick with Hill even if he does poorly... saying stuff like "Alex Smith is never out of the picture" does not imply hill is on a short leash. Any second string QB, on any team, is never out of the picture. I think Hill should be on a shorter leash, which really depends on what he does in Houston and Indy...

Our QB1 sucks.

The question is could any or ALL of our QBs' do what is expected of and what our QB1 has done to this point.

~Ceadder

anytime anyone says anything negative about Hill they are automatically a Hill hater and Smith supporter. There is no way of just wanting someone who can perform the duties of the starting QB. I guess some fans are fans of players before they are fans of the team
Originally posted by Gavintech:
The ability of any QB to go down the field helps keep defenses honest. Yep, even if the QB is not entirely accurate and throws a few picks here and there, that ability will still keep a defense more honest than what Shaun Hill has showed this season. Even bad QBs have the ability to make a play down the field and defenses have to account for that, no matter how many picks they may throw. With Shaun Hill they don't, it's pretty simple.

Well said.

I'd like to point out that when Gore was in the lineup the Line wasn't that bad. With Gore out and a Rookie taking his reps? Ummmmm it just put one of those big @$$ movie premier spotlights on our sorry @$$ QB1.

Against teams like the Rams he looks good. Against a halfway SOLID opponent he shows everyone what he is. A backup holding down the Starting job.

I understand the need to support the Starter but he's not deserving of this kind of goose stepping loyalty. Can't people just say that HE's a HUGE part of the Offense being so damn ineffective? I have a hard time blaming the OC for this because I know the limitations our QB1 has. I can break down how a Defense needs to attack him. I did it last season before he was ever named the opening day Starter.

And look what happened. It happened right to the letter. I don't mean to pat myself on the back at all. I just want people to take a step back and stop piling on the dissenters because they are speaking their minds about our QB1.

That's not to say that I agree with name calling(including changing a man's name) but that if it's a legitimate beef then they have a right to vent without being called anything but a passionate fan.

~Ceadder
I won't deny that, Hill is on a leash and will be for the rest of this year. Any team that is shaky at the QB position will have their QB's on a leash, its the nature of the business. With that said, I REALLY wanna draft a QB with our second 1st pick.

Or 1st. I wonder if there are going to be any good QBs available via free agency too. This team hasn't drafted QBs very well, so it would be safer to try to go that route.

No no no no NOOO!!!! Our 1st first round pick will go to either Berry or Mays!!! But I'm with you on seeing what we could pick up via free agency, I won't hold my breath though.

Somebody is going to have to lose more than a few games for those guys to be available for the Niners. Hopefully it will be the Panthers. It is funny how attentive I have become to their games every Sunday.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Misleading stat. Hill took off (rightfully so) because Atlanta was playing soft.

Kind of like those delayed handoffs you see on 3rd and 15 to pad those running stats.

-9fA

Of course, I know that. But the fact of the matter is, its tough on a QB when there is no running game.

And it's hard to have a running game when the QB doesn't scare anyone. Hill must play better and then everything else will follow.

Sure bout that??

2003 Ravens - Jamal Lewis rushed for 2,000 plus yards with a terrible QB rotation

2004 Redskins - Clinton Portis rushed for 1,300 plus yards with a crappy QB rotation

Its not that hard to realize that the O-line is a huge part of the offenses problems.

Yeah, of course. OL is a big reason for it, but everything goes hand-in-hand. Gore had 1,695 yards in 2006. That year we had a good running game and Alex Smith had his best season. Gore hasn't come close to that total since, and the OL has a lot to do with it, but so does the QB. I guarantee that if teams respected the pass more, our run game would improve.

Also, look at the RBs you mentioned. Those are some good backs. But I think it's pretty obvious that both our OL and QB must play better, and that will help out our running game.

Sure Gore had 1,695 yards rushing and Smith had his career best that year, but Smith also had bad games and we atleast played out the season with him. Its been only one bad lost with Hill, why is everyone jumping ship now??

You act is as if Hill is unable to go down field, our pass protection has been horrible. Sure if he has time has been known to pull it down or checkdown. But tell me, how do you know what hes seeing down field, do you have any game tape or coaches tape to back this up??? I can show you many times last year, where he made a nice 20 yard out vs. Arizona in between two defenders. Or a nice deep ball to Vernon Davis a couple of times last year. Again, Hill's inability to throw a deep comeback, hitch or deep in's and out route's are his biggest weaknesses, Hill will take it deep when the time is right. I don't see how you people continue to overlook the O-line and put the QB ahead as the main problem....just boggles me.

-9fA

Sure bout that??

That is part of the problem with the OL (not the whole problem, but part of it.) The other team seems to have no fear of the Niners passing the ball downfield which lets them stack the box. There are a lot of bodies the linemen have to account for.
[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM ]
Originally posted by backontop:

Our QB1 sucks.

~Ceadder

anytime anyone says anything negative about Hill they are automatically a Hill hater and Smith supporter. There is no way of just wanting someone who can perform the duties of the starting QB. I guess some fans are fans of players before they are fans of the team

Honestly there is alot of that mentality on both sides of the argument. I got labeled as a Smith supporter because I felt and kind of still do that he is our best option based on his skill set and his experience. I mean going back to '07 Dilfer had mad experience but lacked the skill set to put the experience to work. If he had been a better option I would have pointed that out.

But with me, it's never been about Smith. It's been about the position. And that is how I will ALWAYS roll.

~Ceadder

-9fA

Sure bout that??

You act is as if Hill is unable to go down field, our pass protection has been horrible. Sure if he has time has been known to pull it down or checkdown. But tell me, how do you know what hes seeing down field, do you have any game tape or coaches tape to back this up??? I can show you many times last year, where he made a nice 20 yard out vs. Arizona in between two defenders. Or a nice deep ball to Vernon Davis a couple of times last year. Again, Hill's inability to throw a deep comeback, hitch or deep in's and out route's are his biggest weaknesses, Hill will take it deep when the time is right. I don't see how you people continue to overlook the O-line and put the QB ahead as the main problem....just boggles me.

Ummmm Kolohe? He did that in ONE game. And that was against the Same Ol Sorry @$$ Defense. And he had the benefit of a 21 point cushion provided by the Defense, no less.

IF and when he does it consistently I'm more apt to be on board. But it's not happening any time soon, given the rest of our Schedule.

*Edit* Oh yes and last season is a wash. As I explained it before Hill took our Opponents by surprise for the most part. Nobody had any kind of answer for him and Martz protected him by using a simplified system. Though he did continue to send in 7 step drops and it made Hill look like a scrambler cause he had to run for his life. Now gone are the 7 step drops but the oversimplified playcalling remains. Forget what he did last year. That was last year as a Backup. This year it's as the Starter and teams have an answer for him until he burns an opponent for stacking the box.

HILL has to do that. Not Gore. Until HILL does it they will continue to pin their ears back. *ediT*

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Method:
REALLY?? I sure didn't see any threads calling out Hill, when we were winning, or even articles. Replies yes, but not threads, well except from a few Pro Smith fans out there, but this really isn't about Smith right now, I don't want it to get to that. But seriously, from my opinion, the OC and O-line account for a lot more of the problems around here than our little QB situation.

You probably saw them in the "Locked" Thread area. I posted a couple times that I thought Hill sucked, and all those threads got locked.

thats because anything Anti Hill is locked and thrown away in the "not allowed" vault. Hill is the greatest QB to ever play the game.

nevermind all the Smith threads that hang around here.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

-9fA

Sure bout that??

Ummmm Kolohe? He did that in ONE game. And that was against the Same Ol Sorry @$$ Defense. And he had the benefit of a 21 point cushion provided by the Defense, no less.

IF and when he does it consistently I'm more apt to be on board. But it's not happening any time soon, given the rest of our Schedule.

~Ceadder

Ummm Ceadder I'm talking about last year.
I gotta agree with Ceadder. Just because I think Hill has played crappy doesn't mean I hate him. I don't hate any 49er. Same thing happened when some posters mentioned how Coffee has been unproductive, we got labeled Coffee haters. People just can't stand the slightest bit of criticism to their guy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by teeohh:
I gotta agree with Ceadder. Just because I think Hill has played crappy doesn't mean I hate him. I don't hate any 49er. Same thing happened when some posters mentioned how Coffee has been unproductive, we got labeled Coffee haters. People just can't stand the slightest bit of criticism to their guy.

No one hates any player on this team. People just think some players on this team suck, which the term hater follows.

-9fA

Sure bout that??

~Ceadder

Ummm Ceadder I'm talking about last year.

I was editing when you replied. If you go back you'll see I addressed that too.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone