There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which defense will show up on Sunday?

Which defense will show up on Sunday?

Originally posted by calinig4life:
it could jus be me buuut what's the "in between" stuff. they've only played two ways & it was stated at the top of the post

Did you forget the Minny game? I would say that was in between, we contained Peterson but we still have up a lot of points.
Hope that it's the ball-hawking defense of the 1st four games.

Houston is much looser with the football than Atlanta. Houston will put the ball on the ground and Schaub will throw picks. Niner D can give up some yards (and a few FG's), but must drive at least a +2 turnover advantage in order to win this road game versus a team that can put-up some points.
Well, let's see. We're 19th against the run on Manny's side, 13th at Franklin's NT spot and #1 against Haralson's spot according to FO's.

Houston is terrible, ranked 32nd against the run but 9th offensively at passing.

So needless to say, this game, once again will come down to us stopping the run (we're solid and this should be easy), the pass rush esp. from the outside (non-existent) and our secondary playing top-notch.

We've been soft covering RB's out of the backfield and against crossing routes and middle-of-the-field. Our CB's do take some chances which is perfectly fine as long as you are getting a pass rush and you have help and sound technique if you can't make the play (mental mistakes).

All that said, this is a winnable game but I fear their passing attack with no pass rush. We saw what happened against Atlanta when he had ALL DAY to throw and allow the receivers to get open for huge gains and drive-sustaining plays.

If we can somehow keep it close, we can win by 6 or less but if not, we'll be blown out of the water again.

My guestimate = we'll see the defense we saw against Minnesota; this time I hope we actually stop them at the end!
this offense is just as potent as ATL! Maybe slaton will fumble a couple times!!
  • saeniner
  • Info N/A
Houston's offense typically struggles against 3-4 defenses. If our well rested unit shows up with something to prove and plays hard and physical, I see them having one of the better outings this season. The only thing that really worries me is Clements covering AJ. He has been getting burned a lot lately and johnson is arguably the best wide receiver in pro football.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Let's hope we see the defense that does not contain Mark Roman on the field. We suck the moment he cracks the lineup.
I am still baffled at what happened against atlanta. I mean, 21 points in five minutes of game play? I hope to never see that again
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I am still baffled at what happened against atlanta. I mean, 21 points in five minutes of game play? I hope to never see that again

It's because Mark Roman started. We were just about to gain a little momentum and then Roman struck again. Nate Clements, without saying a word, told us exactly why our DBs have played off by 10 yards in past years.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SJniner7:

It's because Mark Roman started. We were just about to gain a little momentum and then Roman struck again. Nate Clements, without saying a word, told us exactly why our DBs have played off by 10 yards in past years.

Hopefully Lewis plays or we're toast.

defense sucking ass too
We are true to our head football coach's principle, we are playing smash mouth football. You have to respect that.