LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Crabtree to start Sunday?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is there a reason why morgan and crabtree arent starting? Maybe they should start teaching morgan bruce's position. Bruce hasnt done sh** this year
I'm sure they were planning this the whole time....

we have run ALOT of those WR screens to Morgan that are very similar to the ones Crabtree ran in college...

so I think Morgan was only still there because of the hold out....and the playbook had plays for Crabtree this whole time.

Also....If anyone should replace Bruce (at his position) I think it should be Jason Hill...

Can't wait to see the day a speedster like Jason Hill on the outside....with a playmaker like Crabtree running underneath routes.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing us run that formation Atlanta runs more often (1WR, 2TEs, 2RBs)... I know we run it everynow and then with Morgan in there....but

With Crabtree on the outside with Vernon, Walker, Gore, Norris all inside ready to help block or go out for a pass......would be niiiiiiiice.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:08 PM ]
I think getting caught from behind in the ATL game also had a lot to do with Sings decision..true #1 WR don't get caught like that..I don't care if he slowed down because he was celebrating or whatever..you don't do that..especially with Sing..on top of that if Crabs really looked great that helped Sing reach his decision.

I do however expect Morgan to be our #2 receiver next year
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
i think this is actually great for Morgan, and i think he knows it.

it sends a message to opposing teams that we feel Crabtree is looking THAT good, which will likely cause those defenses to focus on Crab's more, leaving Morgan in the slot to work against a nickelback or even linebackers and safeties..

last year Morgan played very well out of the slot position, he can only be better now than he was last year..

But what about Jones? Hill? Battle? Bruce is delaying the development of our other, younger WRs. All fine and dandy if you can still play, but he hasn't shown he can. He should be relegated to only a 3rd-down WR and maybe help tutor the WRs at this point in my opinion.

Jones i am curious about, but what exactly has he done that Morgan hasn't? Hill i would love to see out there, im maybe one of the biggest Jason Hill fans on this board, but again, what has he done better than Morgan? Battle, we've all seen him, he is a great 3rd down player and picks up 1st downs, but he doesnt make electrifying plays, never wow's you, and has seemed to lose some of those first down marker instincts that we once saw him so valuable for..

Josh Morgan was our most electric receiver last year in a limited role, and now this year, in an offense that is s**t for WR production, with a quarterback who has rarely delivered big plays to receivers you are ready to just jump ship on the guy? you have got to be kidding me.

I like Morgan a lot. I'm just saying that one of the WRs I mentioned should be starting over Bruce.

yeah i caught that after the fact, check the edit ;)
Watch out Texans you're going to get a case of the Crabs and VD this weekend
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I think getting caught from behind in the ATL game also had a lot to do with Sings decision..true #1 WR don't get caught like that..I don't care if he slowed down because he was celebrating or whatever..you don't do that..especially with Sing..on top of that if Crabs really looked great that helped Sing reach his decision.

I do however expect Morgan to be our #2 receiver next year

Nuff said.
Desperate times call for desperate measure; Morgan kudos to you for being a good sport
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I don't care what anyone else thinks of feels

After spending weeks weeding through those nightmare Crabtree threads I'm excited to see what this kid (hopefully the future of this franchise) can do

Go Niners!
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ether:
Morgan gets his starting position taken by Crabtree and he stays back to help. Alex Smith, the #2 QB, stays back to help Crabtree... Yet Shaun Hill goes home because....?

because he has a family that he cares about more than football...

This dude has been in the NFL 6 years. Even at league minimum, he's a multi-millionaire. Are you saying he cannot buy tickets for them to fly out to the Bay Area for a week? Oh, I also forgot that he has had a 6 month vacation for the past 4 years because the 49ers have never gone to the playoffs in that time. I'm sure he could sacrifice 4 days.

It probably has more to do with the fact he's been getting sacked and is probably pretty battered up and needs to rest.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by susweel:
So much for earning your spot. Sing is really starting to contradict himself.

This is a big boy league. If someone is better than you, and can outperform you they're getting the job.

"First off -- let me tell you this - let's get this straight. There's nothing fair about this league. All right? If you establish yourself as an incredible player within a quarter of a game, that's just the way it goes. There's nothing fair about it. Understand that, first of all. OK?"

• B650
  • Veteran
i think this is actually great for Morgan, and i think he knows it.

it sends a message to opposing teams that we feel Crabtree is looking THAT good, which will likely cause those defenses to focus on Crab's more, leaving Morgan in the slot to work against a nickelback or even linebackers and safeties..

last year Morgan played very well out of the slot position, he can only be better now than he was last year..

But what about Jones? Hill? Battle? Bruce is delaying the development of our other, younger WRs. All fine and dandy if you can still play, but he hasn't shown he can. He should be relegated to only a 3rd-down WR and maybe help tutor the WRs at this point in my opinion.

Jones i am curious about, but what exactly has he done that Morgan hasn't? Hill i would love to see out there, im maybe one of the biggest Jason Hill fans on this board, but again, what has he done better than Morgan? Battle, we've all seen him, he is a great 3rd down player and picks up 1st downs, but he doesnt make electrifying plays, never wow's you, and has seemed to lose some of those first down marker instincts that we once saw him so valuable for..

Josh Morgan was our most electric receiver last year in a limited role, and now this year, in an offense that is s**t for WR production, with a quarterback who has rarely delivered big plays to receivers you are ready to just jump ship on the guy? you have got to be kidding me.

EDIT: i just noticed you were referring to Isaac Bruce, though i may disagree with making him a 3rd down player only, i would definitely agree with allowing Jones and Hill rotate through that position...

especially Hill, our greatest deep threat, who seems to go forgotten just because he isn't the best blocker...

And I'll comment on your edit too. I think it's ridiculous that Hill isn't getting any playing time because he doesn't block as good. He's a flippin' WR. Get him in the game and let him do his thing. When we need to block, put Walker and Davis out wide as WRs or something. Jesus. Does that mean he shouldn't get ANY playing time?

Sheets. Dude isn't a blocker yet. So they just let him go. I don't know. Why don't we just sign 52 offensive linemen and have them all block. What's next? Nate Davis released because he can't block during reverses?
Originally posted by Esco:
I don't care what anyone else thinks of feels

After spending weeks weeding through those nightmare Crabtree threads I'm excited to see what this kid (hopefully the future of this franchise) can do

Go Niners!

Absolutely, well said Esco.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Hopper:
I don't think this is going to sit well in the locker room. All those guys worked extremely hard in a physical training camp. But here's Crabtree handed a starting job after only two weeks.

Yeah didn't sit well in the locker room in Minn when Favre decided to skip camp on purpose but look at them. We have a much stronger presence and leadership in our locker room then most teams. Im not worried about it. If anything maybe it will get everyone excited to get going to have such a talent on the field now

You're not seriously comparing Crabs situation with a future HOFer in Minnesota?

BTW The two best players in Minny (Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen) were calling Favre to sign weeks before training camp.
Yeah we don't need to do this, especially demoting Josh to the 3 that's BS. MC and Josh are our 1/2 for the next decade, we shouldn't mess with that, and MC has practiced what 2 minutes, and he's starting great, he better ball out in Houston, that's all I got to say.
Share 49ersWebzone