LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

Crabtree to start Sunday?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MaliCali:
i think this is actually great for Morgan, and i think he knows it.

it sends a message to opposing teams that we feel Crabtree is looking THAT good, which will likely cause those defenses to focus on Crab's more, leaving Morgan in the slot to work against a nickelback or even linebackers and safeties..

last year Morgan played very well out of the slot position, he can only be better now than he was last year..

But what about Jones? Hill? Battle? Bruce is delaying the development of our other, younger WRs. All fine and dandy if you can still play, but he hasn't shown he can. He should be relegated to only a 3rd-down WR and maybe help tutor the WRs at this point in my opinion.

it sends a message to opposing teams that we feel Crabtree is looking THAT good, which will likely cause those defenses to focus on Crab's more, leaving Morgan in the slot to work against a nickelback or even linebackers and safeties..

last year Morgan played very well out of the slot position, he can only be better now than he was last year..

Real good point.

I have no doubt that Morgan will have his opportunities.
Originally posted by Chief:
Great, now we need Bruce to retire.

Seriously, Bruce needs to go.

but sweet news that Crabtree will be starting.

Bruce does need to go. The guy has lost 2-3 steps and is now dropping balls to.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So much for earning your spot. Sing is really starting to contradict himself.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I don't think this is going to sit well in the locker room. All those guys worked extremely hard in a physical training camp. But here's Crabtree handed a starting job after only two weeks.

Yeah didn't sit well in the locker room in Minn when Favre decided to skip camp on purpose but look at them. We have a much stronger presence and leadership in our locker room then most teams. Im not worried about it. If anything maybe it will get everyone excited to get going to have such a talent on the field now
Originally posted by susweel:

Sing wants the best guys on the field!
Don't like this at all!

Were going to start a kid who has practiced for 2 weeks, has no serious reps with our current starter, has leapfrogged all of our WR's, and knows nothing about being a #1 NFL WR.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

yeah, but how has he evaluated Crabtree enough to determine he's the best guy at this point in time?

This is a big boy league. If someone is better than you, and can outperform you they're getting the job.
Originally posted by B650:

But what about Jones? Hill? Battle? Bruce is delaying the development of our other, younger WRs. All fine and dandy if you can still play, but he hasn't shown he can. He should be relegated to only a 3rd-down WR and maybe help tutor the WRs at this point in my opinion.

Jones i am curious about, but what exactly has he done that Morgan hasn't? Hill i would love to see out there, im maybe one of the biggest Jason Hill fans on this board, but again, what has he done better than Morgan? Battle, we've all seen him, he is a great 3rd down player and picks up 1st downs, but he doesnt make electrifying plays, never wow's you, and has seemed to lose some of those first down marker instincts that we once saw him so valuable for..

Josh Morgan was our most electric receiver last year in a limited role, and now this year, in an offense that is s**t for WR production, with a quarterback who has rarely delivered big plays to receivers you are ready to just jump ship on the guy? you have got to be kidding me.

EDIT: i just noticed you were referring to Isaac Bruce, though i may disagree with making him a 3rd down player only, i would definitely agree with allowing Jones and Hill rotate through that position...

especially Hill, our greatest deep threat, who seems to go forgotten just because he isn't the best blocker...
[ Edited by MaliCali on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:07 PM ]

Crabtree must have blown them away in practice. This is a giant promotion for a guy who barely knows the offense.

As for benching Bruce, the Niners obviously feel that Crabtree is best suited to play Morgan's position at this time. If Josh can pick up Isaac's spot, then the two best starters can hit the field together.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

yeah, but how has he evaluated Crabtree enough to determine he's the best guy at this point in time?

Maybe he is showing his superior ability in practice?
  • Tyler82
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Tyler82:
I am upset by this....I loved the Crabtree signing and Im stoked but we sould NOT MOVE Josh Morgan out of the starting lineup. We SHOULD MOVE Issac Bruce out. He is gone after this season anyway has not shown what we expect and Crabtree and Morgan are the Rice and Taylor of our future....LETS GET THEM BOTH ON THE STARTING LINEUP....

Well good then Morgan will have his starting spot back soon. He has to know that and I think it makes it easier to help Crabtree knowing the fact that he is only going to come off the pine temporarily. Not to mention it shouldn't be a shocker since they took him 10th overall. Hopefully this means we will see more 3wr sets and Morgan might even be more effective in that role

but red dont you think that bruce in the slot could even be more dangerous with him sneaking around

Maybe "earning your spot" means more than just being there from day 1, but also earning it on the field, and perhaps the reason why Morgan has been demoted.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

Jones i am curious about, but what exactly has he done that Morgan hasn't? Hill i would love to see out there, im maybe one of the biggest Jason Hill fans on this board, but again, what has he done better than Morgan? Battle, we've all seen him, he is a great 3rd down player and picks up 1st downs, but he doesnt make electrifying plays, never wow's you, and has seemed to lose some of those first down marker instincts that we once saw him so valuable for..

Josh Morgan was our most electric receiver last year in a limited role, and now this year, in an offense that is s**t for WR production, with a quarterback who has rarely delivered big plays to receivers you are ready to just jump ship on the guy? you have got to be kidding me.

I like Morgan a lot. I'm just saying that one of the WRs I mentioned should be starting over Bruce.
Share 49ersWebzone