There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crabtree to start Sunday?

Originally posted by Method:
Quote:
The real question then becomes: How long can they keep winning without making plays down the field? No team is worried that Shaun Hill’s passing is going to beat them; the key to beating the 49ers is forcing them to throw, taking away their run game. I’m reminded of a conversation I had a few weeks ago with Phil Simms about quarterbacks. We were talking about making big plays in the passing game and the only way that teams will respect the long ball is based on the quarterback, not the wideouts. His belief, which I agree with completely, is that no matter how talented the wide receivers, it’s the quarterback’s ability to throw accurately down the field that’s the key to a successful passing game. Hill is 4 of 22 for 144 yards when he throws the ball more than 20 yards. He has one long pass for 50 and another for 39. So if you’re the Texans, are you going to worry about Crabtree being in the game?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-49ers-need-a-passing-fix.html#

Probably the main reason I want Hill benched. Thanks to oldman49er for posting this in that locked Shaun Hill thread. Didn't know where else to post it... but damn. Just f**king horrible. Any defense can afford to play one safety at the line at all times because Hill is 4 for 22 throwing past 20 yards. LOL. 4 for 22. WOW.

thank you! so many fans are in denial. Hill flat out is not the answer, never was never will be. You can stick Jerry Rice on one side and Randy Moss on the other with Andre Johnson in the slot and he still wont throw over 200 yards in a single game, it sucks but it's just about all we have. He throws scared, is afraid to try to beat coverage and cant thread the needle.........
[ Edited by mryan1004 on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM ]
Quote:
The real question then becomes: How long can they keep winning without making plays down the field? No team is worried that Shaun Hill’s passing is going to beat them; the key to beating the 49ers is forcing them to throw, taking away their run game. I’m reminded of a conversation I had a few weeks ago with Phil Simms about quarterbacks. We were talking about making big plays in the passing game and the only way that teams will respect the long ball is based on the quarterback, not the wideouts. His belief, which I agree with completely, is that no matter how talented the wide receivers, it’s the quarterback’s ability to throw accurately down the field that’s the key to a successful passing game. Hill is 4 of 22 for 144 yards when he throws the ball more than 20 yards. He has one long pass for 50 and another for 39. So if you’re the Texans, are you going to worry about Crabtree being in the game?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-49ers-need-a-passing-fix.html#

Probably the main reason I want Hill benched. Thanks to oldman49er for posting this in that locked Shaun Hill thread. Didn't know where else to post it... but damn. Just f**king horrible. Any defense can afford to play one safety at the line at all times because Hill is 4 for 22 throwing past 20 yards. LOL. 4 for 22. WOW.

Sing put him on notice today. If his current play continues, he's probably done after the Colts game. I hope he improves but if he doesn't, he should get the same treatment Jones got.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Sing put him on notice today. If his current play continues, he's probably done after the Colts game. I hope he improves but if he doesn't, he should get the same treatment Jones got.

Till after the Colts game? 3-5? f**k. Piece of f**king s**t. I'm going to explode if we wait that long to make a move. f**k.

Till after the Colts game? 3-5? f**k. Piece of f**king s**t. I'm going to explode if we wait that long to make a move. f**k.

Patience Method, everything in it's own time - not your time.

You know I don't have any patience for this s**t. I just want to make the playoffs man, and two more horrible QB'ed games before we see a change might push us too far out of the race.
  • B650
  • Veteran

You know I don't have any patience for this s**t. I just want to make the playoffs man, and two more horrible QB'ed games before we see a change might push us too far out of the race.

We'll still be in it. Arizona isn't going to come out of New York with a victory. I'm with you though. Hill better step it up or sit down.
Straight up? We don't have a QB on our roster who can strike fear in an opposing defense. You can bench Hill for not having a strong arm, but Alex Smith is not capable of being an effective QB in this league because he: 1. Has no field vision 2. Makes slower decisions when throwing the ball than my grandma and 3. He couldn't hit a barn in Pennsylvania Amish country. When/if Davis develops he will be better than both Hill and Smith, but in order for him (or next year's 1st round QB draft pick) to get better the team has to bite the bullet and let them play and develop. That means growing pains, as in losses. Are we as a fan base prepared for more of that? I hate fu**ing losing, but we need a REAL QB...what are we supposed to do?
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by BMoore56:
wait it says crabs is starting, so doesn't that mean he is playing the whole game? because i see people on here saying he will ony get 12-15 snaps.

Not automatically.

My thought is that "starting" in this case means literally that, that he will be on the field for the first offensive snap, if not the first drive.

There are probably two major reasons for that. First, to reward him for getting him into camp and to show a vote of confidence in him. And second, to try and alter the focus of the game a little bit to him and free up some of our other players on offense.

IMO, there is no way a coach like Sing, who values blocking so much will have a rook who hasn't been in camp for more than two weeks in on more than 20-30% of our offensive plays. He just doesn't know his blocking assignments, let alone his routes, well enough.

But to generate some excitement and to get the other team focusing on him some, he will be on the field early in the game. Plus it will get him his first taste of the NFL early on, so if need him later in the game, he has a little time to get acclimated.

that is something I always wondered about. How do players qualify for the official START recognition that goes down in the NFL books? Do the coaches send in their weekly list of players? Or does actually starting on the first plays count as the official start

I'm pretty sure it's based on who is literally on the field for the first offenive and/or defensive snap of the ball.

There have been a number of occasions in the past where as punishments players were benched from their "starting" roles, but were on the field again after the first play or the first drive. All it does is mean that their string of "consecutve starts" is interrupted and sends a message to the team about being upset with whatever the player has done.

Similarly, players have been given the "start" as a reward before even if they don't play the majority of the snaps. And per Yahoo sports, it looks like that will be the case with Crabs.

"Former wide receiver holdout Michael Crabtree may be getting the start for the San Francisco 49ers this Sunday but Josh Morgan will still likely be getting the majority of the playing time when the Niners takes on the Houston Texans, according to the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/San-Francisco-49ers-rsquo-Morgan-getting-more-p?urn=nfl,197547
http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco/status/5079971400

Can't give away any game-plan stuff, but will just say that Michael Crabtree looks the part on the 49ers practice field. He'll be fine.
from Lynch (take it for what you want):

Quote:
Crabtree has been impressive all around from his conditioning to his conceptualization of plays, which Raye termed, "uncanny." Teammates have also noticed that he runs every route to the end zone, something Jerry Rice and Roger Craig used to do.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=50171#ixzz0UkbgbwWz

that should give those of you looking for any semblance of a tie to the glory days something to grasp, however infinitesimal.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Quote:
Crabtree has been impressive all around from his conditioning to his conceptualization of plays, which Raye termed, "uncanny." Teammates have also noticed that he runs every route to the end zone, something Jerry Rice and Roger Craig used to do.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=50171#ixzz0UkbgbwWz

that should give those of you looking for any semblance of a tie to the glory days something to grasp, however infinitesimal.

And he caught bricks like Rice too.
Originally posted by B650:

Quote:

sarcasm or truth?
  • B650
  • Veteran

Quote:

sarcasm or truth?

Well, I heard that he did, so truth.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Quote:

sarcasm or truth?

Well, I heard that he did, so truth.

did he catch ducks too?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home