LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Crabtree to start Sunday?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
If this is true, its probably going to piss off a lot of people on the team. Whats been all this talk of "he's not ready, we'll bring him in slowly, etc, etc." All those receivers put in the work throughout TC and so far through the season, and they're going to get leapfrogged by some kid who doesn't even know the "route tree"?

Has he done anything in practice to warrant it? Morgan has certainly underachieved and made some bad blunders this season but I would like to think that crabs would actually have to do something in order to take his job.

Bad, bad idea.

I see what you're saying, but after watching Singletary's "tough love" video...it seems that Sing is not the type to favor individuals, he calls them by their numbers and not their names, and if they're not doing their best, he will make changes.

I just hope this also will imply to Shaun Hill.

He is the one player on the team that never seems to gain Coach Mike's "motivation". I personally find it a bit hippocritical of Coach Mike.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I understand that this is all kinda "fast" for all of us. BUT.. When you draft a guy that is THIS HIGHLY thought of coming out of college, drafted that high and should have been a top5 and arguably the best WR and PLAYER of ANY position in last years draft. Hes gotta start RIGHT NOW!!! SEE Fitzgerald,Boldin,Moss,Andre & Calvin Johnson, etc. They all started Right from the get, and maybe didnt POST CRAZY stats their rookie years, but they were all still threats and made their offenses better

Rookie seasons:

Fitzgerald had 58 receptions, 780 yards, and 8 TDs.
Boldin had 101 receptions, 1,377 yards, and 8 TDs.
Moss had 69 receptions, 1,313 yards, and 17 TDs.
A. Johnson had 66 receptions, 976 yards, and 4 TDs.
C. Johnson had 48 receptions, 756 yards, and 4 TDs.

D. Jackson had a good rookie campaign as well last year. If Crabtree is any good, he should put up some decent numbers.

let's not forget about Colston in 2006

70 rec, 1038 yards, 8 TDs

We are looking at about 1/2 season left for Crabree so I doubt his #'s will be real big.

You really like raining down on parades don't you?

They don't have to be big. He just has to help us win games.

If he plays in 11 games, I'm expecting about 500 to 600 yards receiving.

At the same time, if the QB can't get the ball into his hands, I won't hold him at fault. Of course, I'll be looking to see if he's actually getting open. Damn, the intrigue.

If he's getting open and not getting the ball you will hear about it for sure. Crabree is the type who will go to the media or write a book called "Throw me the Damn Ball." You will hear lots about it if this DIVA isn't getting the ball. Trust me.

You can tell his DIVA ways by his behavior leading up to this point.

~ NEON DEION PRIME TIME SANDERS - close advisor and trusted friend...

~ HAMMERTIME - close advisor and trusted friend...

~ Threatens to re enter the draft if he doesn't get top 3 or top 5 money or whatever for being the #10 pick...

This guy has got DIVA written all over him. You will hear about it if he doesn't get the ball just as much as we used to when T.O. played here...

The only diva here is you. Cut the drama dude.

He's the one who did all that stuff. I'm not making it up. It really happened. As far as the DIVA label.

If the shoe fits...

You have absolutely no idea the extent to which he is involved with Neon and Hammer, all you know is what you and the rest of us read in the articles posted. And no he didn't threaten to re-enter the draft, some family member of his did. Look I just debunked your whole argument. Now will you stop with the drama? Doubtful.

Hey I hope the kids succeeds. We need him to since we have nothing at WR. But his actions suggest he is in fact a DIVA. His family memebers were speaking for him. Of course a player themselves will never say anything while they are negociating. That would hurt their position. They stay above the fray.

Multiple NFL teams avoided him in the draft and were turned off by his DIVA ways in the pre draft interviews. Some teams wouldn't even touch him. This is a matter of the record. It is what it is. I'm not making this up.

Really?

Well damn, he must be a diva since you seem to be a close friend and advisor as well

I'll give you the interview thing since some teams did go on record saying that, but beyond that there is nothing. You are simply making assumptions and assertions all willy nilly.

If your best friends are...

NEON DEION PRIME TIME SANDERS &

HAMMERTIME

YOU ARE A DIVA.

those are his best friends?

Undoubtedly.

Diva WR = Pro Bowl caliber WR.
Well im right there with a lot of you. I think it is a desperation move. Morgan in the little time he has gotten the ball, has been ok. If Crab is just taking his spot, then it's really nothing new. I mean honestly i think Crab will actually have the same stats as Morgan. i mean substitute the X,Y,or Z receiver. If they werent getting the ball that much to begin with, you can bring Rice back and he still wont make that much of a difference running the same offense.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:20 AM ]
i don't think our passing offense can get any worse so i think its a good move...we run a high school offense i think crabs can catch on
30 pages in 2 days
This is worrisome to me to have Crabtree starting in his first NFL game or any football game since he hurt his foot? Typically a rookie no matter how good he is has to acclimated to the speed of the game and this is after going through TC and preseason games. Crabtree had none of these. If he starts Sunday even knowing all the routes and what to do, I still think his affect will be very limited for the reason stated. So how does that help the team when you also have to pull Morgan out of the lineup.

I think plugging in Patrick Willis into the starting lineup in his rookie year with some success got Singletary thinking he can do the same with Crabtree. But I would think putting in a guy into a defense is a little easier than putting a guy into an offense. Installing Patrick Willis, a middle linebacker with a full course of TC and preseason to play along side a veteran D. Smith makes mores sense than installing a WR into the starting lineup with no TC, no preseason, first NFL or any game the last...what 10 months?

First play of the game to Crabtree-- WR reverse. I hope I'm wrong and Crabtree has something like 5 catches for 79yds with 1 td in the first game. Or this could be all a ploy by Sing and company to get Houston thinking. On game day decision, Morgan start after all and Crabtree in the slot like they had been talking about.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Well im right there with a lot of you. I think it is a desperation move. Morgan in the little time he has gotten the ball, has been ok. If Crab is just taking his spot, then it's really nothing new. I mean honestly i think Crab will actually have the same stats as Morgan. i mean substitute the X,Y,or Z receiver. If they werent getting the ball that much to begin with, you can bring Rice back and he still wont make that much of a difference running the same offense.

Sadly your conclusion is probably correct. When you have a OC with no imagination (3 page playbook) and a QB with no arm, there is a limit to what a WR can do.
Originally posted by valrod33:
morgan is taking the news well

"I'm helping him learn my position and take my position," said Morgan, who ranks second on the 49ers behind Vernon Davis in receiving. Morgan has 13 catches for 202 yards and one touchdown. "It is what it is. If he can help us win, I'm all right with that.

"They gave him my spot. So if he's going to be in there, I might as well help him out so I can make sure he gets it right."

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP JOSH!!!!!! Bruce will not be here next year!!!!! Thank you for being self-less!!!!
I don't see this as a demotion for Morgan. He's gonna be in the slot which probably better suits him anyway. This whole #1 or #2 thing isn't really a big deal considering how often teams use multiple WRs.

I also think whichever WR we have in the slot will see more passes his way since we have an inability to pass block long enough for outside routes to develop.

Originally posted by 9erluv415:

"I'm helping him learn my position and take my position," said Morgan, who ranks second on the 49ers behind Vernon Davis in receiving. Morgan has 13 catches for 202 yards and one touchdown. "It is what it is. If he can help us win, I'm all right with that.

"They gave him my spot. So if he's going to be in there, I might as well help him out so I can make sure he gets it right."

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP JOSH!!!!!! Bruce will not be here next year!!!!! Thank you for being self-less!!!!

This is the attitude that I think might not turn Morgan into a #1 WR, but a Very good #2. Like Taylor, got the talent but played for the game and the team, but not necessarily for the numbers or fame.
I was just thinking about this - I really hope that Shaun Hill doesn't feel the pressure to get the ball in crabtree's hands, and starts forcing things. YES I want to see him throw to our WR's and, God YES I want to see this offense open up and do something. But I just think Houston may be looking for that early, figuring we want to get Crabtree involved early to get in his groove.

I just don't want to see our 1st offense play being a bubble screen, that Hill punts up, and Brian Cushing jumps the route for an INT.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:

This is the attitude that I think might not turn Morgan into a #1 WR, but a Very good #2. Like Taylor, got the talent but played for the game and the team, but not necessarily for the numbers or fame.

I remember watching an interview of Jerry Rice and Jerry was saying J. Taylor had the most talent of any WR at the time and everything came easy to him. He didn't practice hard or work hard but it all came so easy. Jerry was saying that Taylor would have been the best if he had the work ethic. I guess talent does sometimes overcome effort and hard work.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I don't see this as a demotion for Morgan. He's gonna be in the slot which probably better suits him anyway. This whole #1 or #2 thing isn't really a big deal considering how often teams use multiple WRs.

I also think whichever WR we have in the slot will see more passes his way since we have an inability to pass block long enough for outside routes to develop.

The problem is, we aren't that type of team. We rarely, if ever, use 3 wr sets.
he will score a touchdown! book it!
Share 49ersWebzone