LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Crabtree to start Sunday?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
WOOOOO
Originally posted by PTulini:
Michael Crabtree may not be that tall, but I do remember hearing that his arms are longer than Larry Fitzgerald's. He does have a similar leaping ability.

An interesting look back... Listen to the comments and the breakdown of Crabtree's game. We could have something special here. This is getting me excited. It feels like draft day all over again!!!

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I understand that this is all kinda "fast" for all of us. BUT.. When you draft a guy that is THIS HIGHLY thought of coming out of college, drafted that high and should have been a top5 and arguably the best WR and PLAYER of ANY position in last years draft. Hes gotta start RIGHT NOW!!! SEE Fitzgerald,Boldin,Moss,Andre & Calvin Johnson, etc. They all started Right from the get, and maybe didnt POST CRAZY stats their rookie years, but they were all still threats and made their offenses better

Rookie seasons:

Fitzgerald had 58 receptions, 780 yards, and 8 TDs.
Boldin had 101 receptions, 1,377 yards, and 8 TDs.
Moss had 69 receptions, 1,313 yards, and 17 TDs.
A. Johnson had 66 receptions, 976 yards, and 4 TDs.
C. Johnson had 48 receptions, 756 yards, and 4 TDs.

D. Jackson had a good rookie campaign as well last year. If Crabtree is any good, he should put up some decent numbers.

let's not forget about Colston in 2006

70 rec, 1038 yards, 8 TDs

We are looking at about 1/2 season left for Crabree so I doubt his #'s will be real big.

You really like raining down on parades don't you?

They don't have to be big. He just has to help us win games.

If he plays in 11 games, I'm expecting about 500 to 600 yards receiving.

At the same time, if the QB can't get the ball into his hands, I won't hold him at fault. Of course, I'll be looking to see if he's actually getting open. Damn, the intrigue.

If he's getting open and not getting the ball you will hear about it for sure. Crabree is the type who will go to the media or write a book called "Throw me the Damn Ball." You will hear lots about it if this DIVA isn't getting the ball. Trust me.

You can tell his DIVA ways by his behavior leading up to this point.

~ NEON DEION PRIME TIME SANDERS - close advisor and trusted friend...

~ HAMMERTIME - close advisor and trusted friend...

~ Threatens to re enter the draft if he doesn't get top 3 or top 5 money or whatever for being the #10 pick...

This guy has got DIVA written all over him. You will hear about it if he doesn't get the ball just as much as we used to when T.O. played here...

The only diva here is you. Cut the drama dude.

He's the one who did all that stuff. I'm not making it up. It really happened. As far as the DIVA label.

If the shoe fits...

You have absolutely no idea the extent to which he is involved with Neon and Hammer, all you know is what you and the rest of us read in the articles posted. And no he didn't threaten to re-enter the draft, some family member of his did. Look I just debunked your whole argument. Now will you stop with the drama? Doubtful.

Hey I hope the kids succeeds. We need him to since we have nothing at WR. But his actions suggest he is in fact a DIVA. His family memebers were speaking for him. Of course a player themselves will never say anything while they are negociating. That would hurt their position. They stay above the fray.

Multiple NFL teams avoided him in the draft and were turned off by his DIVA ways in the pre draft interviews. Some teams wouldn't even touch him. This is a matter of the record. It is what it is. I'm not making this up.

Really?

Well damn, he must be a diva since you seem to be a close friend and advisor as well

I'll give you the interview thing since some teams did go on record saying that, but beyond that there is nothing. You are simply making assumptions and assertions all willy nilly.

If your best friends are...

NEON DEION PRIME TIME SANDERS &

HAMMERTIME

YOU ARE A DIVA.
I understand that this is all kinda "fast" for all of us. BUT.. When you draft a guy that is THIS HIGHLY thought of coming out of college, drafted that high and should have been a top5 and arguably the best WR and PLAYER of ANY position in last years draft. Hes gotta start RIGHT NOW!!! SEE Fitzgerald,Boldin,Moss,Andre & Calvin Johnson, etc. They all started Right from the get, and maybe didnt POST CRAZY stats their rookie years, but they were all still threats and made their offenses better

Rookie seasons:

D. Jackson had a good rookie campaign as well last year. If Crabtree is any good, he should put up some decent numbers.

We are looking at about 1/2 season left for Crabree so I doubt his #'s will be real big.

At the same time, if the QB can't get the ball into his hands, I won't hold him at fault. Of course, I'll be looking to see if he's actually getting open. Damn, the intrigue.

If he's getting open and not getting the ball you will hear about it for sure. Crabree is the type who will go to the media or write a book called "Throw me the Damn Ball." You will hear lots about it if this DIVA isn't getting the ball. Trust me.

~ Threatens to re enter the draft if he doesn't get top 3 or top 5 money or whatever for being the #10 pick...

This guy has got DIVA written all over him. You will hear about it if he doesn't get the ball just as much as we used to when T.O. played here...

He's the one who did all that stuff. I'm not making it up. It really happened. As far as the DIVA label.

If the shoe fits...

You have absolutely no idea the extent to which he is involved with Neon and Hammer, all you know is what you and the rest of us read in the articles posted. And no he didn't threaten to re-enter the draft, some family member of his did. Look I just debunked your whole argument. Now will you stop with the drama? Doubtful.

Hey I hope the kids succeeds. We need him to since we have nothing at WR. But his actions suggest he is in fact a DIVA. His family memebers were speaking for him. Of course a player themselves will never say anything while they are negociating. That would hurt their position. They stay above the fray.

Multiple NFL teams avoided him in the draft and were turned off by his DIVA ways in the pre draft interviews. Some teams wouldn't even touch him. This is a matter of the record. It is what it is. I'm not making this up.

Really?

Well damn, he must be a diva since you seem to be a close friend and advisor as well

I'll give you the interview thing since some teams did go on record saying that, but beyond that there is nothing. You are simply making assumptions and assertions all willy nilly.

HAMMERTIME

YOU ARE A DIVA.

those are his best friends?
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Rookie seasons:

If the shoe fits...

Really?

HAMMERTIME

YOU ARE A DIVA.

those are his best friends?

Undoubtedly.
I hope the kid succeeds but I still have tons of question marks. The behavior the last few months leaves some serious doubts.
I hope the kid succeeds but I still have tons of question marks. The behavior the last few months leaves some serious doubts.

We all hope he succeeds and there are certainly question marks, but they are just that, question marks. We will have to wait and see. and with that goodnight folks!
This thread needs to be locked... Charles Rogers,Mike Williams,Troy Williamson ring a bell;Just because he was drafted high does not mean HE NEEDS to start,lets just be happy that he's making tremendous strides. Not to mention to someone that listed Boldin,A)He was a 2nd rounder,B)He played out of the slot his first season. But seriously? 30 pages in a day? LOCK PLEASE, NEXT TOPIC!
I hate comparisons, but if I could compare Crabs to any previous WR we've had it would be John Taylor, from head-to-toe. -Short/bulky build (6-1), long arms, vice-like grip (with long fingers), quick route-reading, and a physical down-field blocker. Crabs also has big muscly thighs like Taylor did, this is very important attribute for a WR of his size in the NFL.

We'll only know how he fares when we see him, but Crabs has all the physical intangibles to be a great WR, he just has to get over that 'mental-tremor' all rookies experience (and that's adjusting to the speed of the game).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I hate comparisons, but if I could compare Crabs to any previous WR we've had it would be John Taylor, from head-to-toe. -Short/bulky build (6-1), long arms, vice-like grip (with long fingers), quick route-reading, and a physical down-field blocker. Crabs also has big muscly thighs like Taylor did, this is very important attribute for a WR of his size in the NFL.

We'll only know how he fares when we see him, but Crabs has all the physical intangibles to be a great WR, he just has to get over that 'mental-tremor' all rookies experience (and that's adjusting to the speed of the game).

John Taylor was not bulky. He was nowhere near the 215 lbs. of Crabtree. Crabree's closest physical comparison is Anquan Boldin who is roughly 6'1" and 215 lbs. very much like Crabtree. Boldin like Crabtree runs great routes and has outstanding hands.

Now whether or not Crabtree can be like Boldin in the NFL we will wait and see.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 20, 2009 at 2:27 AM ]

I wish him well, but throwing him to the fire already? I'm a little skeptical on that one, but let's hope he shines!

John Taylor was not bulky. He was nowhere near the 215 lbs. of Crabtree. Crabree's closest physical comparison is Anquan Boldin who is roughly 6'1" and 215 lbs. very much like Crabtree. Boldin like Crabtree runs great routes and has outstanding hands.

Now whether or not Crabree can be like Boldin in the NFL we will wait and see.

But during the 90's his figure was actually a slight bulkier in appearance (not in overall weight but physical figure) during his mid-career (this wasn't from the nuances of age either). The NFL was also like the WWE back then, players weren't always billed to their overall (accurate) weight.

-I actually met John back in 1993 at a fundraiser in San Mateo, that dude was friggen huge, and looked way bulkier than what I saw in SI pictures/stats.

Great comparison though about Boldin, but Boldin is way bulkier in muscle right now than Crabs.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 20, 2009 at 2:39 AM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran

Now whether or not Crabree can be like Boldin in the NFL we will wait and see.

But during the 90's his figure was actually a slight bulkier in appearance (not in overall weight but physical figure) during his mid-career (this wasn't from the nuances of age either). The NFL was also like the WWE back then, players weren't always billed to their overall (accurate) weight.

-I actually met John back in 1993 at a fundraiser in San Mateo, that dude was friggen huge, and looked way bulkier than what I saw in SI pictures/stats.

Great comparison though about Boldin, but Boldin is way bulkier in muscle right now than Crabs.

Crabtree is very similar to Boldin, but I think Crabtree is faster.
Back on topic.

I had to give this some thought. At first it seemed we may be rushing things by starting Crabs too soon. But the more I think about it I believe it is a good idea if the coaches really think he's ready. I say this because he will need to get used to the speed of the game and we are already nearing the half way point of the season. It would be better for a playoff run later on if Crabs is more up to speed. Let him play.

LB
I bet this has to do more with the (lack of) complexity of Jimmy Raye's receiver schemes than Crabtree's quick study ability.

He only had to master 3 routes:

1) Run to the side of the field (rarely used since Shaun Hill doesn't have the arm to throw a good out-pass)
2) Run towards the middle of the field (this is an optional route)
3) Run towards the endzone (for the inevitable 3rd and long situation)

Share 49ersWebzone