There are 167 users in the forums

Alex Smith & Crabtree Chemistry

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Alex ever leaves the Niners he's gonna turn into an elite QB in this league with his work ethic. He'll be as good or even better than Aaron Rodgers.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by pd24:
One week isn't going to make a difference.

You don't think it would have helped leading into Crabtrees first game?

He'll probably not even play very much as it is for this game. He doesn't need Hill for two weeks just to get accustomed to 3 or 4 plays, if that.

Umm...Crabs is starting this week Blunt my friend.

Yeah and? Do you think he's going to be our go to guy with no TC, and just getting here like last week? He realistically won't be a factor, especially in this offense. I see him being used more as a decoy. With that said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does more.

True that
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I think Smith was smart to work on his chemistry with Crabs even if he lives in the bay area. I also think we mite see some Smith action this season cause Hill just doesn't cut it against the major franchises. I can't stand Hill's crumbling like a b***h response when he gets pressured in the pocket. Anyway, I'm a Nate Davis hopeful and am looking forward to seeing him start for us next year.

Well then you must want Davis b/c Smith's pocket pressence is his biggest problem

It seems to be one of Hills biggest problems this year, which is strange because he seemed a lot more comfortable last year. He gets flustered even when he has the time to throw and checks down too much. Presence in the pocket is a skill that can be developed, whereas throwing lame ducks floaters seems to be a gift that some are just born with.

Hill is seriously lacking the confidence of last year, and it may cost him his starting gig if he doesn't manage to regain it. That being said, with AS getting reps with Crabtree, it may do someone some good to get chemistry with crabtree...
Originally posted by pd24:
One week isn't going to make a difference.

You don't think it would have helped leading into Crabtrees first game?

He'll probably not even play very much as it is for this game. He doesn't need Hill for two weeks just to get accustomed to 3 or 4 plays, if that.

Umm...Crabs is starting this week Blunt my friend.

Yeah and? Do you think he's going to be our go to guy with no TC, and just getting here like last week? He realistically won't be a factor, especially in this offense. I see him being used more as a decoy. With that said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does more.

I see them making a concerted effort to get him the ball, running crossing routes and bubble screens so Hill can actually get the ball in his hands. As for his impact in the short term, who knows? What I do know is that the kid has great hands and is a physical runner, hopefully he can help the offense. Alas, I am not blessed with the gift of foresight, I am just a fan hoping for the best.
I'm not reading into anything. This is still Hill's job to lose and still Alex's job to gain/try to gain. Alex WANTS to be the starter and he WANTS/NEEDS to keep his "stock" high(er), therefore he will do everything he can to look like he's going the extra mile. I'm not doubting his intentions or work ethic but it IS the smarter move.

And didnt Hill say something along the lines of Crabtree having to get used to HIM as opposed to the other way around? LOL...sorry Shaun, I didnt know you were so great that WRs had to get used to you tough guy.
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Alex practicing with Crabtree is terrible. Shaun Hill throws one of the weakest passes in the NFL, yet we have Smith with a very strong arm practicing with him... how's he gonna get used to catching floaters come gametime?

Well if this guy can't catch a floater thrown to him, the 49ers really f*cked up drafting him #10 overall, and going through all this hassle to sign him.

Think about the difference between the Defensive Back having time to make up ground when comparing floaters and strong passes.

Why should I waste time thinking about this? Alex Smith is not the starting QB for the 49ers. And if I were to think about it, I would start thinking about how Alex Smith is not very accurate and throws late behind the receiver too much, despite having a stronger arm.

To be honest when I think of the future, usually my thoughts about the 49ers finally having good QB play do not include Hill or Smith in them.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
After much debate, years of consideration and arguements I have concluded the A Smith is not a starter in this league.

period.

Rolling to the right and throwing out of bounds is not a ticket to stardom.

I am over it.
Originally posted by Crown:
After much debate, years of consideration and arguements I have concluded the A Smith is not a starter in this league.

period.

I am over it.

Wasn't that JTO????
Originally posted by Mospeed:
If Alex ever leaves the Niners he's gonna turn into an elite QB in this league with his work ethic. He'll be as good or even better than Aaron Rodgers.

lol, watch, he takes over for Brady in 2-3 years.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Alex practicing with Crabtree is terrible. Shaun Hill throws one of the weakest passes in the NFL, yet we have Smith with a very strong arm practicing with him... how's he gonna get used to catching floaters come gametime?

Well if this guy can't catch a floater thrown to him, the 49ers really f*cked up drafting him #10 overall, and going through all this hassle to sign him.

Think about the difference between the Defensive Back having time to make up ground when comparing floaters and strong passes.

Why should I waste time thinking about this? Alex Smith is not the starting QB for the 49ers. And if I were to think about it, I would start thinking about how Alex Smith is not very accurate and throws late behind the receiver too much, despite having a stronger arm.

To be honest when I think of the future, usually my thoughts about the 49ers finally having good QB play do not include Hill or Smith in them.

True, but Smith can be great. Hill never will be.

People forget that although Smith hasn't shown to be a great QB, he still has the potential to be one. He's missed 2 years due to injury. Eli Manning didn't look good his first 3 years. That's my take on it.

Originally posted by valrod33:
It gives him more chemistry with Crabtree, but dont make it seem like Alex stayed in the bay area just because of Crabtree, Alex lives in the bay area so thats why he volunteered to throw to Crabtree

Sure Alex lives in the bay but his family is in San Diego. He could have taken this bye week to visit his parents and friends. Alex has always had a good work ethic so I think a big part of him staying here is to help the team and to help himself.
Originally posted by Crown:

period.

I am over it.

Usually, he would throw the ball hard..... at the feet of the receiver, then the ball would bounce and....... roll out of bounds.
Alex Smith To Crabs is beast full best idea for Hill to Mexico for s**t i care Touchdowns Galore in Texans
Originally posted by Mospeed:

I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?

Cosell: "Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combinations, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Alex Smith To Crabs is beast full best idea for Hill to Mexico for s**t i care Touchdowns Galore in Texans

Crabtree beasts like Willis beasts but Crabs more than Willie in Texans too. Shaub not be able to see with his own eyes of 2 beasts.
Share 49ersWebzone