LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

What IF Martz was Still our OC ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Shaun Hill would not survive 7 step drops

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Hill had 2000 yards in 8 games with Mart, still was solid protecting the ball. With Martz i had confidence even on 3rd and 10 plays, now i have zero confidence of doing anything on 1st and 10 and beyond
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Shaun Hill would not survive 7 step drops

Captain wounded duck would be captain dead duck.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Hill had 2000 yards in 8 games with Mart, still was solid protecting the ball. With Martz i had confidence even on 3rd and 10 plays, now i have zero confidence of doing anything on 1st and 10 and beyond

Yes but Hill's performance had a sugnifican't drop in the last few games and that has carried over into this season.
No doubt we would be much better with Martz. I've been saying since the PS that Hill will regress (& regret badmouthing Martz). I just didn't know it would be this bad.

One knock against Martz was that he didn't have Gore run enough. But people should realize that Martz' offense saved Gore from being dinged up too often. Gore was still heavily used, but more with the pass, where there is less chance of being gang tackled by 300lbs linemen.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
They should of kept Martz!!!! People keep saying, "Round peg, square hole." or "doesnt fit into the personality of the offense" THIS NINERS OFFENSE DOESNT HAVE PERSONALITY!!! All they have is one elite player, Gore. Davis is good. Staley is pretty good and will be great. Martz knows thats bums shouldnt be calling audibles or be very conservative. How the hell can they tell the league oh we are gonna be conservative on offense? Well why dont they just tell them what play there running. Martz knew that when you have one weapon that unfortunately you gotta use him to keep the defense honest. Could you imagine Crabtree in Martz's offense? Makes you wonder why would they draft a wr in run first offense with a terrible line. Big question is who is gonna be the OC next year or will singletary deny he made a mistake and stick with this clown. Maybe if he begs Martz will come back. Without him the niners are going to be one of the worst off in the league again. Oh and who cares if they didnt get along as long as your winning. Suck it up!! I gotta work with people I dont like but they help get the job done so who cares. OK Im done

Martz Offense can only mask Sahun Hill so long.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Here's something to consider...

So far this season, our defense has been the reason for our sucess. If the defense had to deal with the turnovers, and field position it did last year it would make it a little tougher on them.

Honestly, Martz was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with the personell he had. That being said, Jimmy Raye is doing the same thing, at the other end of the spectrum. His conservative style is causing alot of three and outs, and there does not seem to be alot of creativity in the playcalling.

Personally, I think a coordinator with a balanced attack style would be just what the doctor ordered for the offense.

Once again with the dam pegs.......The offense hasnt had a personality since Garcia was throwing ducks to TO.

I don't know what we're yelling about!!!
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
They should of kept Martz!!!! People keep saying, "Round peg, square hole." or "doesnt fit into the personality of the offense" THIS NINERS OFFENSE DOESNT HAVE PERSONALITY!!! All they have is one elite player, Gore. Davis is good. Staley is pretty good and will be great. Martz knows thats bums shouldnt be calling audibles or be very conservative. How the hell can they tell the league oh we are gonna be conservative on offense? Well why dont they just tell them what play there running. Martz knew that when you have one weapon that unfortunately you gotta use him to keep the defense honest. Could you imagine Crabtree in Martz's offense? Makes you wonder why would they draft a wr in run first offense with a terrible line. Big question is who is gonna be the OC next year or will singletary deny he made a mistake and stick with this clown. Maybe if he begs Martz will come back. Without him the niners are going to be one of the worst off in the league again. Oh and who cares if they didnt get along as long as your winning. Suck it up!! I gotta work with people I dont like but they help get the job done so who cares. OK Im done

~Ceadder

Martz offense hides sh*tty QBs.... look at Bulger Kitna and JTO. Bulger and Kitna are below average starters but put up Pro Bowl numbers with Martz, JTO looked decent as a starter and he has the talent of a third stringer. Who cares if Hill got hurt....Smith isnt that much worse. And to you guys "oh he didnt use Gore correctly!" He did his best to keep him healthy(which isnt easy to do!) The 9ers wouldnt of thrown away a pick on coffee and would of picked up a starter. Face it Singletary doesnt know jack about offense and put a puppet at OC. He loves his power. Martz is an Offensive guy who didnt listen to Singletary because he knew he didnt know what he was talking about. And they still won games with this power struggle. Im just tired of watchin the 9ers bore me with all there 3n outs. Wait until the Defense folds from injuries because they never get off the field. Ulbrich and Lewis are just the beginning.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Martz offense hides sh*tty QBs.... look at Bulger Kitna and JTO. Bulger and Kitna are below average starters but put up Pro Bowl numbers with Martz, JTO looked decent as a starter and he has the talent of a third stringer. Who cares if Hill got hurt....Smith isnt that much worse. And to you guys "oh he didnt use Gore correctly!" He did his best to keep him healthy(which isnt easy to do!) The 9ers wouldnt of thrown away a pick on coffee and would of picked up a starter. Face it Singletary doesnt know jack about offense and put a puppet at OC. He loves his power. Martz is an Offensive guy who didnt listen to Singletary because he knew he didnt know what he was talking about. And they still won games with this power struggle. Im just tired of watchin the 9ers bore me with all there 3n outs. Wait until the Defense folds from injuries because they never get off the field. Ulbrich and Lewis are just the beginning.

Is it really 2012 on the niner calender???

Seriously, it was one game. Let's wait a few games before we start putting the women and the children in life boats.

Originally posted by Spoonerism:

I don't know what we're yelling about!!!

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We would probably be leading the league in turnovers, sacks, and be dead last in rushing.

We weren't dead last when Martz was here so how are we dead last if he was STILL here? I'm confused by the logic.

As for sacks allowed? Well this run-oriented offense is STILL tops at sacks allowed.

The line seems worse than last year, which would make the offense even worse than last year.

The blocking is worse because the scheme is worse and a lot more predictable. That also factors into the logic here. You simply can't directly deduce if Martz was here the offense would be worse. The personnel is the same or better than last year on the OL so it leads me to believe predictable play-calling and poor scheming has just as much to do with the poor offense as your hypothesis being the personnel.

Good post. This is the answer, in a nutshell.
IF Martz was still OC, Hill would not be starting. Another QB would probably be picked up from the streets and would have supplanted Hill of the starting role 2 weeks before the regular season
I loved how he tailored Hill to be effective even after benching JTO.

Hill was efficient even in using checkdowns his timed route offense.

The passing game was much more present than it is now in Rayes "hey guys lets run 60% of the time!" offense
Originally posted by ZRF80:
It's the bye week. Might as well kill some time.........

So what IF Martz was still our OC ? Would we be a better team right now ? I think so. Our defense has been playing great. And Martz, despite making some blunder calls last year, still knew how to move the chains and use Hill effectively. I think we would have been a MUCH better offense with his playbook, not to mention the team would have acclimated to his calls after year 2, and probably would be 4-1 going into the bye.

Your thoughts ?

HORRIBLE DECISION TO FIRE MARTZ... the man i an offensive genious.. i dont care what anyone says about his run game
Share 49ersWebzone