LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Singletary's Fate Tied to Raye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
It's obvious that Jimmy Raye is not the long term solution for us at OC. His offensive schemes are tired and he is not capable of making the adjustments necessary to combat a better team.

It didn't seem like it at first given the quick hook he gave JTO and Mike Martz, but it seems like Singletary is loyal to "his guys" to a fault. He's given Shaun Hill a very long hook, not even giving Alex Smith a chance in the 4th quarter of a blowout game. He's hired all of his Chicago buddies.

If things go less than stellar and Jimmy Raye's head is on the chopping block, will Singletary swing the axe? How long will Singletary stick with Raye if things aren't working out? Will he hold onto Raye to the point where his job might be in jeopardy? Is there anyone who is capable of telling Singletary that he is making bad decisions? In my opinion, it seems like he has too much control given his lack of experience.

What we have is a 2007-era Hostler offense with a much improved defense. Shaun Hill is kind of like Trent Dilfer with fewer turnovers. We saw what happened when our defense ran into a team fresh off a bye week (which I don't think is being mentioned enough), so our offense was thrust into the spotlight and HAD to perform to stay in the game. Our defense actually played pretty well for the first two series. It wasn't until the offense and special teams started turning over the ball that we got into a pickle.

The Yorks have shown a willingness to stick with a HC rather than pull the trigger fast IE Dan Snyder. Sings job is safe for 2-3 years no matter what happens with Raye.
Originally posted by sports_guy212:
Singletary's "fate" is by no means tied to Raye. Singletary is a great coach that changed the demeanor of football is San Fran. Raye runs a garbage offense that will never break the top 20. Yes we're a "running" team, but come on this guy is like the Mike Martz of a run heavy play book. I think it is worth over paying a great O Coordinator like Norv Turner than to settle for sub par coaches like Raye.

I don't have a link but Raye's Offense has broken top 20 before. If you meant this team, then you should seriously consider Shaun Hill as the possible hinderance to the Offense. I guarantee that with a stronger even SLIGHTLY more accurate QB under Center the results would be more positive.

~Ceadder
Too bad Hill is the best we have. J. Russel was being compared to Alex Smith on 1140 and a very respectable NFL person was told that Russell and Smith basically have the same number in about the same starts and if he sees anything in the two. He answered that he doesn't think Alex Smith is any good and his arm isn't THAT strong.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Singletary's "fate" is by no means tied to Raye. Singletary is a great coach that changed the demeanor of football is San Fran. Raye runs a garbage offense that will never break the top 20. Yes we're a "running" team, but come on this guy is like the Mike Martz of a run heavy play book. I think it is worth over paying a great O Coordinator like Norv Turner than to settle for sub par coaches like Raye.

I don't have a link but Raye's Offense has broken top 20 before. If you meant this team, then you should seriously consider Shaun Hill as the possible hinderance to the Offense. I guarantee that with a stronger even SLIGHTLY more accurate QB under Center the results would be more positive.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
When Norv Turner gets fired after this year, I'm hoping Sing calls him up and gives him his old job back....BUT Sing doesn't seem like the type of guy to tell Raye to step aside after one year. He always preaches loyalty. It's early, but I don't think Raye's tendencies are going to change one bit. But it is apparently Singletary who wants to play this way....hence the reason for Linehan not being here.

i agree having Norv back would be great but we need some consistency at OC and norv would get a hc job in a year or 2. i wish we would have got cam cameron

Norv has been a failure at HC a few times now, i dont see him gettin a hc job anytime soon... Norv is a good OC, not a good HC.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Too bad Hill is the best we have. J. Russel was being compared to Alex Smith on 1140 and a very respectable NFL person was told that Russell and Smith basically have the same number in about the same starts and if he sees anything in the two. He answered that he doesn't think Alex Smith is any good and his arm isn't THAT strong.

~Ceadder

WHICH "very respected NFL person" Joe?

Steve?

Which NFL person is saying that Hill is better? I really would like to know so that I may get in touch with them and explain the shortsightedness in their opinion.

Because protecting the ball is all well and good. If you can't get a drive beyond 3 and out well into the 4th quarter it would do you any f'n good.

I nearly choked when Steve was saying how good Hill was a few weeks back. I wonder if he's had a change of heart yet.

It's hilarious how people are judging Smith based on what he did as a Rookie(on a putrid team) and his final injury shortened season. If I were him I would ask for my walking papers and seek a team looking for a steal. Show them what I got and look forward to every game that he sees us. I'm not saying that he's half what Joe is but I'll be severely torn in my emotions. On the one hand I want the team to win. That actually takes precedence. But on the other I would hope that he scores at will on us for all the $4|t that he has to endure from every knucklehead around this team. It would definitely be his Joe moment.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

I think he broke the top 20... once, maybe twice... overall his offenses have ranked near the bottom. This is no suprise considering Raye was Sing's fourth or fifth choice as OC... blame the QB all you want, but our run game is pretty pathetic too...
Originally posted by SJniner7:

~Ceadder

I think he broke the top 20... once, maybe twice... overall his offenses have ranked near the bottom. This is no suprise considering Raye was Sing's fourth or fifth choice as OC... blame the QB all you want, but our run game is pretty pathetic too...

That couldn't be due to having Gore out for 2 weeks and having to rely on a Rookie tailback, could it?

It's the QB.

~Ceadder
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:

~Ceadder

That couldn't be due to having Gore out for 2 weeks and having to rely on a Rookie tailback, could it?

It's the QB.

~Ceadder

If the pass doesn't scare you, it's that much harder to run. It's all connected.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
There is a guy on here that seems to me able to dig up a lot information on player salaries and contracts. I wonder if he could find out where the whole 49er coaching staff ranks with the rest of the league in salary. I seriously think Singletary was not given much of a budget to put together a staff. To me that is the only way to explain some off his choices. Normally you would want an inexperienced coach to have a few cream of the crop assistants to help facilitate his learning on the job, we don't have that here.
We need to upgrade our OC. Raye's so old, the playbook is still written with a number 2 pencil and Xeroxed for all the players to read.

It's obvious that Jimmy Raye is not the long term solution for us at OC. His offensive schemes are tired and he is not capable of making the adjustments necessary to combat a better team.

It didn't seem like it at first given the quick hook he gave JTO and Mike Martz, but it seems like Singletary is loyal to "his guys" to a fault. He's given Shaun Hill a very long hook, not even giving Alex Smith a chance in the 4th quarter of a blowout game. He's hired all of his Chicago buddies.

If things go less than stellar and Jimmy Raye's head is on the chopping block, will Singletary swing the axe? How long will Singletary stick with Raye if things aren't working out? Will he hold onto Raye to the point where his job might be in jeopardy? Is there anyone who is capable of telling Singletary that he is making bad decisions? In my opinion, it seems like he has too much control given his lack of experience.

What we have is a 2007-era Hostler offense with a much improved defense. Shaun Hill is kind of like Trent Dilfer with fewer turnovers. We saw what happened when our defense ran into a team fresh off a bye week (which I don't think is being mentioned enough), so our offense was thrust into the spotlight and HAD to perform to stay in the game. Our defense actually played pretty well for the first two series. It wasn't until the offense and special teams started turning over the ball that we got into a pickle.

singletary is not a smart man.... hire a 95 year old when martz made our offense 10X better than it waas
"Ask if he still backed Raye's approach 100 percent, Singletary went 50 percent further. "I 150 percent back what he's doing," he said. "Absolutely. There's not one iota that I'm wavering here or there." Singletary did concede that Raye is still in the process of learning what his players do best, and thus the offense is still evolving."

AND

Smith scores the only passing TD of the game in a 2 minute drill after his headset goes out and he calls all his own plays.
Originally posted by Ninerman49:

singletary is not a smart man.... hire a 95 year old when martz made our offense 10X better than it waas

Martz was not and is not the answer.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Sing's answer today says it all. Sing is 150% committed.

WTF Jimmy
Share 49ersWebzone