LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Do agree with coach Sing's idea of his NBA style Timeouts??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do agree with coach Sing's idea of his NBA style Timeouts??

• Mex49
The team needs to regroup? You f**king pussies!!!!!!!!!

It was 15 minutes into the game. Maybe the coaching staff needs a Time Out. What a god damn joke we are 7 years later. Now we look for an opportunity to make an excuse for our suckyness
Originally posted by Mex49:

It was 15 minutes into the game. Maybe the coaching staff needs a Time Out. What a god damn joke we are 7 years later. Now we look for an opportunity to make an excuse for our suckyness
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's completely absurd and stupid. It's Singletary's passion getting the best of him. It cost us on the Delanie fumble which was really caused by the ground. In a close game Singletary will cost us.

This.

Originally posted by Mex49:

And this.
Originally posted by chimp914:
Don't do it every single game...

yep...he needs to allow our team get their behinds kicked and the chance to bounce back without him wasting a time out.

By doing it often he A) undermines our players B) puts us in a worse position by costing a possibly needed timeout C) reducing the effect of his ra-ra speeches.
  • B650
  • Veteran
The funny thing is, if it worked, everyone would be saying how much of a genius he is.
Originally posted by B650:
The funny thing is, if it worked, everyone would be saying how much of a genius he is.

He's an idiot with game management and timeouts. So far he's been a good motivator. But even that will fall down when young impresionable players figure out words are hollow and this is still not a good team. Look at how they folded vs. the Falcons. All the inspirational speeches didn't matter there.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 16, 2009 at 03:22:19 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

He's an idiot with game management and timeouts. So far he's been a good motivator. But even that will fall down when young impresionable players figuer out words are hollow and this is still not a good team. Look at how they folded vs. the Falcons. All the inspirational speeches didn't matter there.

That was all on the safeties there. With Lewis possibly out, I can see it turning into a nightmare very soon unless Reggie Smith gets a chance to play and surprises everyone.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
We have seen two extremes, the timeout called against Arizona having the desired effect whilst the one against Atlanta didnt ultimately, I think the key was that they occured in two different situations.

Vs Arizona. The team was generally playing well, expecially good hard defense. The timeout was called at a time when the D was slightly up against it, later in the game so players probably feeling some fatigue and finally Arizona having some momentum. The TO served as a rest for the players, a break up of the momentum Arizona were building and given the nature of the tight game it was arguably that little bit of extra motivation from the Head Coach aiming to get regain focus and get a little bit of extra effort from the players.

Vs Atlanta. It was early in the game. No facet of the team had been playing well (Offense/Defense/Special Teams). Generally the players were just not performing and the TO was used as a wake up call, which didnt ultimately prove to work with the TD on the next play and the final result. However, if we had continued our comeback and won the game would we be saying it had been a good use of a TO??
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:
I thought that's what tv timeouts were for...

Anyway, regrouping is what the offense, defense, special teams should be doing when they're on the sidelines....checking out the photos from above, discussing strategy with teamates, getting an earful from the coaches, etc. In the NFL, you don't get down by an unsurmountable sum within 90 seconds, so save those timeouts for last-minute drives, challenges, etc.

Shanghai'D

I am going to claw my freakin eyeballs out if I read any more about how good a "motivator" Coach Sing is, as if other teams don't f(&*(*&kin play hard. That is the dumbest thing on the world. What matters is can he and his staff coach, can they game plan, do the players have faith in the game plan on Sunday. IF he cannot then eventually they will lose faith in the coaches if they cannot.
That remains to be see, but I have my doubts thus far. He has gotten the team to play over their heads in one game and then been exposed in another. In three games we beat teams solidly (NFC west).
That is the way it is so far, and now we have a mid-season run that will tell us how things are going.
BUT PLEASE, stop talking about motivation as if Coach's speech making is some type of panacea for everything.

[ Edited by NinersCluebat on Oct 16, 2009 at 04:26:39 ]
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Timeouts have two purposes: Stopping time and having the ability to use Instant Replay.

If a QB is about to get a delay of game, just let them. Timeouts are too important. You have a chance to get back that 5 yards in one play, but you can never get that timeout back.

Instant Reply is one of the major problems with the NFL and one of the few things they do right in college. A time out should be to take a time out, not correct an error of the refs.

This team was clearly off their game and Sing saw it early. In the end, I do not believe if he had not used those Time Out's we would have won anyway.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
As long as he doesn't do it every game. Do it when he absolutley is trying to get the teams attention. Otherwise, try not to burn them, as the Walker fumble showed, you never know when you might need one.
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
The truth is that blaming only Glen Coffee for that lost timeout is wrong. Singletary should also be blamed for his actions.. He burnt a timeout for no reason calling his team together to "regroup". What happened the next play? they get burned 24 yards for a TD.

Now I dont disagree that a time out should be called here and there for a momentum change, but timeouts in this league can either win or lose a game for u.. Its not like the nba...

Just look at the minnesota game.. Had they "regouped" one time in the second half wed be sitting at 4-1 right now because old fart favre wouldnt have had enough time to dust his old tush and throw that TD

Dog...he did it only twice so far this year. This is a bit alarmist...no?
I think this is receiving too much focus as a contributing factor in the Falcons loss. If Singletary was doing this every game, or once a half... I would be bothered by it. But twice in five weeks doesn't bother me all that much.

- If we had received that boost in the arm that he was looking for in that game.
- If Delaine Walker had fumbled and we still had a time out because Coffee stayed on the field.
- If we had won.

We wouldn't be dissecting this issue on NinerTalk.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I can see doing it early in the season as a new head coach. I would hope that by later in the season it isn't necessary because the players know the expectations and take it on themselves to do this. It's not something I want to see muc more.
It's completely absurd and stupid. It's Singletary's passion getting the best of him. It cost us on the Delanie fumble which was really caused by the ground. In a close game Singletary will cost us.

Delanie should have secured the ball better thats not sings fault

your response
Well if Sing didnt call that timeout we could have challenged it

my response back to you
If Delanie gets tackled sooner he doesnt fumble

if if if you cant predict the future man so people crying over a timeout thinking it cost us a game is stupid

At some point the players have to take responsibility for their actions
Yes Sing does get some blame for not having the players ready for Atlanta
But the players make millions of dollars to play a game they should be able to get themselves ready and not be so f**king careless with the ball(Dre Bly)
Share 49ersWebzone