There are 150 users in the forums

This team WON'T make the playoffs.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
this team will make the playoffs
Originally posted by valrod33:

This team will not Lose or win during the bye week..
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
fire the coach?

Actually I think he is decent overall. A master motivator. His game day decisions concern me and sometimes his passion gets the best of him.

Motivator 10 / 10.

Game day decisions 4 / 10. A timeout to have a PEP RALLY that later costs you an important challenge... Amateur hour at best.

Yelling at opposing teams players instead of keeping your focus and compusure 2 / 10.

The Singletary passion and intensity is a mixed bad. That's all I'm saying.

And the personnel decisions leave something to be desired. Cut or kick returner? Chilo is still a starter?

Well his timeout worked against the Cards and Vikings and im sure if Coffee didn't make him burn a timeout, he wouldn't have done it. That didn't lose us the game though. Cutting Rossum, it was clear Rossum just didn't have it anymore and as far as benching Rachal earlier, it's not like we have great guys on the bench and Rachal is a young guy who played well late last year and im sure Sing thought he would get it together at some point and is at least making the change now. Nolan use to stick with guys no matter what.

We could do a lot worse than Mike Singletary as our HC!

Coach SUIT was worse I will give you that.

First of all, good for you SanDiego49er, for putting this out there and taking all the heat, some of which you obviously deserve, BTW. You have been extremely negative about the team's chances in the past, but it is noteworthy that you've changed your perspective from 1-15 to 7-9 without ignoring the problems and becoming some kinda pollyanna.

I agree with you that the most important change the team has made, is the change at HC. Singletary has obviously made a difference in the team's attitude. The problems you point out--calling time outs to make pep talks--are things that, I believe, he'll recognize and correct. Time outs are precious and should be used sparingly. He found that out last game.

Other problems--lack of pass rush, lack of franchise QB, etc., are somewhat long term problems that are not going to get turned around in just one season, IMHO.

The big difference, to me, between Singletary and Nolan, is that Singletary has shown an emphasis on working with the team he has, not trying to fix problems by throwing new, expensive, "veteran" players into the mix.

The OL problem that you've identified is the most pressing, IMHO. Its a problem that has plagued this team for years. To me, everything else is secondary. Whether its Hill or Smith, if the OL cannot protect them, it won't matter. Same with Gore and Coffee. If the OL cannot open a hole for them, they're not going to gain many yards.

So, how will Singletary fix the problem? Clearly, he's identified it. (That, alone, makes him a better HC than Nolan, IMHO.) Will he just make personnel changes, ala Nolan? Or will roll up his sleeves and wade in with the OC and the OL coach and get down to OL technique, blocking assignments, conditioning, chemistry, etc.?

The run blocking seems to be the key. If the OL could open holes for Gore/Coffee, then the O could move the chains and wouldn't have to rely on the QB's arm, which would make Hill look a little better.

Seems like, ever since the Arizona game, we've seen alot of run blitzing on first down and on 3rd and short situtations, and the team has been slow to pick it up.

I would think that the OL would be wearing out the blocking sled this next week, working on run blocking assignments, and focusing in on pass blocking technique in the film room.

Singletary said it, the team will go only as far as the OL will take them, and that's a concern right now.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by valrod33:

This team will not Lose or win during the bye week..

They will give up the same amount of points as the week 4 game against the Rams, ans Shaun Hill will throw as many Td's as he did last week.
This team WILL make the playoffs.
Although this team is improved in some categories it is still a rebuilding project in many and very overrated on the WZ IMO. Let's look at the games and schedule for starters. Then we will look at other issues effecting this team. The reasons why we aren't a playoff caliber team I state below at the bottom of the post.

1) Cardinals (WIN) - they were missing key players at the time they played us and will be tougher next time.

2) Seahawks (WIN) - A very poor team this year and some key injuries.

3) Vikings (LOSS) - An elite team and they beat us. Say what you want about playing almost good enough. They beat us.

4) Rams (WIN) - When and NFL team plays a college team you are supposed to win.

5) Falcons (BIG LOSS) - A very good team beat us soundly in every aspect of the game.

6) At Texans - (loss).
7) At Colts - (big loss).
8) Titans (win).
9) Bears (loss). Cutler vs. Hill...
10) At Packers (loss).
11) Jaguars (win).
12) At Seattle (loss). They will play better at home.
13) Cardinals (loss). Getting some key players back now.
14) At Eagles (big loss).
15) Lions (win).
16) At Rams (win). You are supposed to beat college teams.

7 - 9 is what we are looking at as a best case scenario.

Also look at these things.

~ A playoff team doesn't have 4 / 5 Offensive linemen who can't block. Please show me the last playoff team that has this....

~ Inconsistent pass rush.

~ Bottom ranked offense. Show me an offense ranked this low that makes the playoffs. There is no ability to pass or come from behind. Thus there is very little ability to win against good teams.

~ Lack of GAME BREAKING SPEED. Good teams have game breakers like the Vikings, Saints or Falcons for example in the NFC. They have guys who can take it to the endzone. We have guys who get caught from behind in the open field.

~ Very questionable game day decisions by the coach. Calling a timeout to give a pep rally at the NFL level. I mean come on.... That cost us when Delanies fumble that wasn't a fumble could have been overturned. That's not playoff worthy. Bill Walsh or Jimmy Johnson would never make a move like that.

Singletary as a motivator 10/10 - no questions.
Singletary's game day decisions 4/10.

That doesn't get you deep in the playoffs.

~ A QB that throws a pass like a punt and can't come from behind. Can only "manage" the game to a win if you are up. But will lose if you are down.

Another overrated year. 49ers fans are hungy for a winning program but these factors make us still a rebuilding team. Playoff teams don't have this many holes. Just watch the playoffs the last few years. They don't have this many problems.

Disagree.

1. Houston is full of holes and is an incomplete team...like us. They got blown out by the jets, squeaked past the Titans, lost to JAX, beat down the raiders, lost to ARI.

2. Chicago is a very flawed team as well -- didn't look that good against Detroit. Their D ain't what it used to be. No WRs, sh*tty o-line. We play them @ home too.

3. Packers have no D. Awful O-line.

4. Seattle will be a lot harder to beat in Seattle -- I'll give you that.

5. We get Arizona @ home -- this game may decide who win the West

So of the 7 losses you tagged, we can win at least 5 of them. I still think we'll win 9 or 10 games, win the West, and get thumped by either the Eagles or Giants in round 1.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Although this team is improved in some categories it is still a rebuilding project in many and very overrated on the WZ IMO. Let's look at the games and schedule for starters. Then we will look at other issues effecting this team. The reasons why we aren't a playoff caliber team I state below at the bottom of the post.

1) Cardinals (WIN) - they were missing key players at the time they played us and will be tougher next time.

3) Vikings (LOSS) - An elite team and they beat us. Say what you want about playing almost good enough. They beat us.

5) Falcons (BIG LOSS) - A very good team beat us soundly in every aspect of the game.

6) At Texans - (loss).
8) Titans (win).
10) At Packers (loss).
11) Jaguars (win).
15) Lions (win).

~ A playoff team doesn't have 4 / 5 Offensive linemen who can't block. Please show me the last playoff team that has this....

~ Bottom ranked offense. Show me an offense ranked this low that makes the playoffs. There is no ability to pass or come from behind. Thus there is very little ability to win against good teams.

~ Lack of GAME BREAKING SPEED. Good teams have game breakers like the Vikings, Saints or Falcons for example in the NFC. They have guys who can take it to the endzone. We have guys who get caught from behind in the open field.

~ Very questionable game day decisions by the coach. Calling a timeout to give a pep rally at the NFL level. I mean come on.... That cost us when Delanies fumble that wasn't a fumble could have been overturned. That's not playoff worthy. Bill Walsh or Jimmy Johnson would never make a move like that.

~ A QB that throws a pass like a punt and can't come from behind. Can only "manage" the game to a win if you are up. But will lose if you are down.

Another overrated year. 49ers fans are hungy for a winning program but these factors make us still a rebuilding team. Playoff teams don't have this many holes. Just watch the playoffs the last few years. They don't have this many problems.

Disagree.

1. Houston is full of holes and is an incomplete team...like us. They got blown out by the jets, squeaked past the Titans, lost to JAX, beat down the raiders, lost to ARI.

2. Chicago is a very flawed team as well -- didn't look that good against Detroit. Their D ain't what it used to be. No WRs, sh*tty o-line. We play them @ home too.

3. Packers have no D. Awful O-line.

4. Seattle will be a lot harder to beat in Seattle -- I'll give you that.

5. We get Arizona @ home -- this game may decide who win the West

So of the 7 losses you tagged, we can win at least 5 of them. I still think we'll win 9 or 10 games, win the West, and get thumped by either the Eagles or Giants in round 1.
Our O will make any D look good. Look at the Rams game, we only scored 14 points on O, and zero in the 1st half.
We don't lose Gore and we're 4-1 right now, and who knows, maybe the Falcons game turns out alot different? The Falcons are a good to elite team and had two weeks to prepare for a team without its main offensive weapon. Our passing offense didn't have a chance against that kind of situation.

Once we get Gore back teams can't gameplan the same, and we will do much better than we have, count on it.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by rxrunner:

6) At Texans - (loss).
8) Titans (win).
10) At Packers (loss).
11) Jaguars (win).
15) Lions (win).

Ravens won the superbowl with a sorry a** Offense

Not this bad, and their defense was somewhat better.

well they ranked 16th in 2000
nfl offense ranking for 2000
You shouldn't make posts like this.....

The only thing that can happen is it gets brought up later and you are tarred and feathered for it.

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
We don't lose Gore and we're 4-1 right now, and who knows, maybe the Falcons game turns out alot different? The Falcons are a good to elite team and had two weeks to prepare for a team without its main offensive weapon. Our passing offense didn't have a chance against that kind of situation.

Once we get Gore back teams can't gameplan the same, and we will do much better than we have, count on it.

But all teams deal with key injuries, and at this point you would have to categorize Gore as injury prone(which is why he was available in the 3rd)....so a proper ranking of the Niners should assume Gore missing some action.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

But all teams deal with key injuries, and at this point you would have to categorize Gore as injury prone(which is why he was available in the 3rd)....so a proper ranking of the Niners should assume Gore missing some action.

Gore is our offense in rushing and receiving. Gire to us is like Peyton Manning to the Colts. He's a huge loss in terms of our offense and in terms of the opposition gameplanning against us.
I like how you point out our flaws and act like no other team has any and that is why we will lose.
You sound like a raider fan. We WILL make the playoffs. Negative nancy in the house, and her name is SanDiego49er
I expected this from a noob but I expect a more level head from you
Share 49ersWebzone