There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No excuses, but....

Last week, I was going to post something along the lines of expressing my excitement as to where this team is going. I didn't get around to it, and then Sunday happened. So here is me trying to hold onto my enthusiasm:

Ok, I am not going to try to defend Sunday's blowout. The team was thoroughly outplayed in all phases and really looked lost at times. Yes, Bly is an idiot, but that was not a true factor in the game. That said, and maybe I'm just being overly optimistic because I think this IS a good team that will make the playoffs, the score was not truly indicative of what went on.

Consider, there was the flukish interception from the batted ball at the line that led to an early ATL score. Yes, these things happen, but those are basically bad breaks as opposed to real failures of the offense/defense.

The biggest play in my mind, that really turned the whole game around, was at 14-10, when we had them at like 3rd and 5 on their own 10. Roddy White's 90 yarder. If that play doesn't happen, we get the ball back in great field position and, more importantly, there is no ensuing kickoff with the fumble (another play that was a bad break because we couldn't challenge) that led to yet another TD. 28-10 and everyone of of us new it was over...

So, I am not defending the team and saying we should have won. I am saying that a few plays that either were flukes, bad calls or just plain unlucky, allowed this game to get way out of hand before the team was able to pull themselves together. Once we were down 28-10, I think the team was totally shellshocked. They basically just went through the motions for the rest of the game. As the announcers kept pointing out, this 9er team is not molded to come from behind with large deficits - and I think every one of our players and coaches know that.

In short, bad game. Should we have lost? Absolutely. Is the score indicative of the actual game? I don't think so. I still think this is a good team that will bounce back. Hopefully it gets taken as a lesson to the whole team of how it will only take a couple silly snaps to put this team out of it with its current run oriented/defense wins philosophy.

On the bright side, Roddy White is on my fantasy team and sealed my victory!
People said the Vikings loss was good for us and I disagreed. THAT game was ours to WIN and we blew it!!

I do think this loss was good for us because we were slapped in the face and need to work on a lot of things.
Every losing team can point out "bad breaks".

It's the fact that the Niners were completely unprepared and the staff was "out-coached" is what really bothers me.
Agree, there was nothing good about the MIN loss. Bad break and I was pi**ed for a week. You can't learn from that loss, but maybe something can be taken from Sunday's walloping.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Every losing team can point out "bad breaks".

It's the fact that the Niners were completely unprepared and the staff was "out-coached" is what really bothers me.

I know, I know. I'm not saying the "bad breaks" are the reason for the loss. I'm just trying to point out what I believe were a few crucial plays that changed this from a competitive game to a shellacking. Those few plays happen, and the score is much different (though we probably still lose).
Originally posted by VANiner:
Last week, I was going to post something along the lines of expressing my excitement as to where this team is going. I didn't get around to it, and then Sunday happened. So here is me trying to hold onto my enthusiasm:

Ok, I am not going to try to defend Sunday's blowout. The team was thoroughly outplayed in all phases and really looked lost at times. Yes, Bly is an idiot, but that was not a true factor in the game. That said, and maybe I'm just being overly optimistic because I think this IS a good team that will make the playoffs, the score was not truly indicative of what went on.

Consider, there was the flukish interception from the batted ball at the line that led to an early ATL score. Yes, these things happen, but those are basically bad breaks as opposed to real failures of the offense/defense.

The biggest play in my mind, that really turned the whole game around, was at 14-10, when we had them at like 3rd and 5 on their own 10. Roddy White's 90 yarder. If that play doesn't happen, we get the ball back in great field position and, more importantly, there is no ensuing kickoff with the fumble (another play that was a bad break because we couldn't challenge) that led to yet another TD. 28-10 and everyone of of us new it was over...

So, I am not defending the team and saying we should have won. I am saying that a few plays that either were flukes, bad calls or just plain unlucky, allowed this game to get way out of hand before the team was able to pull themselves together. Once we were down 28-10, I think the team was totally shellshocked. They basically just went through the motions for the rest of the game. As the announcers kept pointing out, this 9er team is not molded to come from behind with large deficits - and I think every one of our players and coaches know that.

In short, bad game. Should we have lost? Absolutely. Is the score indicative of the actual game? I don't think so. I still think this is a good team that will bounce back. Hopefully it gets taken as a lesson to the whole team of how it will only take a couple silly snaps to put this team out of it with its current run oriented/defense wins philosophy.

On the bright side, Roddy White is on my fantasy team and sealed my victory!

f***** nate clements, that KILLED us right there. so much for him for being s "shut down" corner, F****** rediculous
  • kem99
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 570
I don't know if I can recall a game snowballing out of control like that. I would point to a few plays earlier instead of the White-Clements play. To me, the big play was the 49ers 3rd down from the 30 yard line after they got the turnover from the Falcons. Hill ends up being sacked, which takes the 49ers out of FG range. Lee punts, the Falcons take over and the White-Clements play happens, then there's the Walker fumble/non-fumble, etc. If they just get just a FG, its 14-13 and who knows what happens after that. Oh well, it is what it is....
Taylor Mays anyone?!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:32:34 ]
Originally posted by VANiner:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Every losing team can point out "bad breaks".

It's the fact that the Niners were completely unprepared and the staff was "out-coached" is what really bothers me.

I know, I know. I'm not saying the "bad breaks" are the reason for the loss. I'm just trying to point out what I believe were a few crucial plays that changed this from a competitive game to a shellacking. Those few plays happen, and the score is much different (though we probably still lose).

I agree, and if the Niners are going into the post-season, preperation and game-planning is CRUCIAL!

Last Sunday was a TOTAL FAIL vs a playoff-caliber team.
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Taylor Mays anyone?!

No thanks, Eric Berry please. He catches interceptions and gets MAJOR YAC, that's what seperates Berry from Mays.

And if you don't know, youtube it.
Berry and Mays are very different so get your facts straight.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Berry and Mays are very different so get your facts straight.

elaborate please
You make an excellent point that things got out of control in a hurry. I believe the avalanche of points in favor of the Falcons had significant psychological impact on the the 49ers, and they were not able to snap out of it. That was evident by the lack of effort shown by some players, Josh Morgan, for example. Unfortunately, we do not have the offensive personnel or philosophy to rebound from a deficit that large. Atlanta took advantage of the lucky breaks, as a good team should do, and we just happened to be on the other side.

Overall, the team is solid, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I hope they use this as a learning experience and find the heart to bounce back. I do believe that changes MUST be made along the offensive line. They are not pass protecting or run blocking like they should. I do attribute some responsibility for the stale running game to Glen Coffee. There were a few times in the game he chose the wrong hole or cut the wrong way, otherwise, he would have busted some long runs.

I'm not going to give up on the team because I believe the loss to Atlanta was not indicative of this team's potential.

Dan
49er Fan in NC
Originally posted by VANiner:
Last week, I was going to post something along the lines of expressing my excitement as to where this team is going. I didn't get around to it, and then Sunday happened. So here is me trying to hold onto my enthusiasm:

Ok, I am not going to try to defend Sunday's blowout. The team was thoroughly outplayed in all phases and really looked lost at times. Yes, Bly is an idiot, but that was not a true factor in the game. That said, and maybe I'm just being overly optimistic because I think this IS a good team that will make the playoffs, the score was not truly indicative of what went on.

Consider, there was the flukish interception from the batted ball at the line that led to an early ATL score. Yes, these things happen, but those are basically bad breaks as opposed to real failures of the offense/defense.

The biggest play in my mind, that really turned the whole game around, was at 14-10, when we had them at like 3rd and 5 on their own 10. Roddy White's 90 yarder. If that play doesn't happen, we get the ball back in great field position and, more importantly, there is no ensuing kickoff with the fumble (another play that was a bad break because we couldn't challenge) that led to yet another TD. 28-10 and everyone of of us new it was over...

So, I am not defending the team and saying we should have won. I am saying that a few plays that either were flukes, bad calls or just plain unlucky, allowed this game to get way out of hand before the team was able to pull themselves together. Once we were down 28-10, I think the team was totally shellshocked. They basically just went through the motions for the rest of the game. As the announcers kept pointing out, this 9er team is not molded to come from behind with large deficits - and I think every one of our players and coaches know that.

In short, bad game. Should we have lost? Absolutely. Is the score indicative of the actual game? I don't think so. I still think this is a good team that will bounce back. Hopefully it gets taken as a lesson to the whole team of how it will only take a couple silly snaps to put this team out of it with its current run oriented/defense wins philosophy.

On the bright side, Roddy White is on my fantasy team and sealed my victory!

I love you MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! what you said is buitaful and positve that is laking here on this Zone !
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Taylor Mays anyone?!

f**k No...Berry is superior in every single phase of the game.