Oline
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Maybe some of you would like JT O'Sullivan back

or Ken Dorsey

or Rattay
No I know what it is. Some of you can't get over the fact that you have an Alex Smith jersey hanging in your closet. Maybe you paid $300 for an authentic or maybe it's always been your favorite and now you guys are pissed that you don't wear it as often. Maybe you thought he was the next Montana or Young.

My advice is to get over it.
yes I would like any of those guys back if they could get more then 200 yards passing with 38 pass attempts. LOLOL
The vast majority here are convinced that Hill is not our long term answer. His heart is in the right place, but God did not bless him with the greatest physical abilities.

Before next year's draft this team must know whether Smith has a future with this team. If they conclude that he will never be good enough (and that it is too early to know with Davis), then they need to be ready to draft a top-flight QB in the first round.

However, they will not be able to make the determination about Smith unless they let him play no less than 8 games this year.

Smith's play was influenced by his limited college experience, his uncommon youth, and the team's failure to properly let him mature. With all of the above limitations, and with poor personnel surrounding him, they almost assured his failure. Confidence is an essential element in a successful QB. He had none to begin with, and for obvious reasons, was hardly was able to develop any.

It has been two full years since he has been able to play in regular season games, and for this reason he will need to be allowed some time to adjust to the game all over again. It will be awkward, at best, but by the end of this 8 game span, the coaches should be able to assess whether, with greater maturity and better players surrounding him, he can be the answer.
Originally posted by susweel:

or Ken Dorsey

or Rattay

or Chris Weinke
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
One bad game? He has had 4 bad games and one horrendous one. Why are we accepting this bum who obviously can't make thrown as a starter. Just because he plays OK? He takes sacks, fumbles the ball, and can't throw deep passes. He is not physically able to compete in this league. Why do you think we are so bad at 3rd and longs? Hill can't connect to anything deep.
Those passes that some WRs drop are because of Ducks balls. For instance, Morgans deep bomb drop against St Louis was a duck. So was the TD he threw right after that to Morgan. He was wide open but had to make a play because of a s**tty throw.

Hill is a good game manager, and he is tough and competitive. But he really does lack skills to help us win. Even though Alex Smith isn't good he may be a better option then Hill at this point.

Odd, isn't Hill's record like 9-3 or something? Look everyone knows Hill is not the long-term guy, but he's the guy who gives us the best chance of winning this year. This offseason the 49ers may have a shot at one of the premier QB's if they don't believe in Nate Davis, and they will also have a chance to upgrade that o-line. It's not like Hill had time to throw against Atlanta. I mean for crying out loud Matt Ryan could have checked his e-mail on some of those passing plays.

That being said, everyone knows Hill can't compete with Matt Ryan, and that was proven in spades on Sunday.

This is a team sport. Yes, the team is 9-3 when Hill is starting. There are many factors in wins and losses besides who is the starter. But the main thing to remember is out of those 9 wins, can you remember a game where Hill made a hell of a play or won the game for us? Can you remember him dominating an opponent.

I am plainly saying that Hill = Smith except Smith is much more physically talented. We could use those talents to get some first downs and maybe some TDs.

what about those two 80 yard drives against the cards and vikings we would have won against the vikings if it wasn't for favre

They don't want to acknowledge that because we won 1 of those games and should have won the other.

I'll acknowledge the game winning drives if you acknowledge that besides those two drives he played like total crap.

We will acknowledge that he played like crap if you admit that Smith has played like crap his whole career.

I have been acknowledging that in several of my posts in this thread. Smith has played like crap just as Hill has.

Yeah it was a team meltdown Sunday and those were team victories before. Hill isn't able to compete in this league. This is why the play calling is so pathetic. Hill can't make throws. Why can't you people see that. Don't you see that he can't hit the out route. Not even close. The ball barely reaches the WR feet after a bounce on out routes.

So the answer is to chose the worst of the two evils?

The answer is to try a different evil. Cause evil #1 is not working. Lets see if evil #2 can do something. Unless you are content with having a 30% 3rd down conversion and a bottom 5 offense.

I am content winning more games than losing. Look don't get me wrong. I actually don't think very much about Hill. I just don't see why people are ready to bench a guy who has been more successful than any QB we have had in the past 6 years. The biggest problem we have is our Oline. They are not opening any holes and can't block anybody right now. Smith best season came when gore had over 1500 yards. He still didn't look good in the pocket. If he was the type of guy, as a rookie, that would run around and make plays I would agree. But all he ever did with pressure was turn the ball over. Again and Again.

Using this arguments Hill shouldn't even still be in the league , not to defend Smith but come on, rookie year 11 games horrible (he was a child), 2nd year improvement (hard not to), 3 games into year 3 destroyed hasn't played since, Hill is pushing 30 and putting up Smith numbers or worse and everyone loves him. Sunday was a disaster , it's one game , but Hill hasn't been very good all year , the Ram game , the big blowout wasn't going so great until a special teams play before halftime. Smith wouldn't have helped Sunday and he may be a bust, If teams had given up on Hill the same way some have on Smith he'd be out of the league. What's so good about him?

and Hostler?!

eff it....and Nolan!?

We aren't winning a SB yet. Ill be happy winning the division this year, but dont expect anything else. Hill is good for now while the other 2 gets the offense down pat. No point in switching QBs this season....ITS POINTLESS!!!

OUR CONCERN IS THE OL. I don't know if its the coach or the players, but that needs to be addressed first, before anything else. It should be our number 1 priority this season and going into next season.

People needs to relax and stop panicking.

No I know what it is. Some of you can't get over the fact that you have an Alex Smith jersey hanging in your closet. Maybe you paid $300 for an authentic or maybe it's always been your favorite and now you guys are pissed that you don't wear it as often. Maybe you thought he was the next Montana or Young.

My advice? Don't buy player jerseys. Waste of money.

Anyway, everyone take a look here:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_AVERAGE_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

It's the passing leaders sorted by average per pass. Captain Wounded Duck comes in at number 25. Behind him?

Kerry Collins
Seneca Wallace
Marc Bulger
Kyle Boller
Byron Leftwich
Chad Pennington
Matt Cassel
Brady Quinn
JaMarcus Russell
Josh Johnson
Derek Anderson

Not pretty.
I can't wait till all you Hill Haters are eating crow when Hill leads us to the playoffs this year something Smith would never be able to do.
Because people here still can't accept the fact that Alex Smith is a bust, and that our O-Line is f**king terrible.

Hill won the job over Smith, we have a winning record, yet people can't get over it.

You guys actually think Alex Smith would do better with such a terrible O-Line???

Give me a break
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think what happened is all the delusional fans got there wake up call. I have said all along the answer at QB is not on the roster. Singletary has been doing a fantastic job
making this team respectable in spite of the lack of talent on offense. Let Hill keep the seat warm until we draft McCoy in 2010. Hill might at least squeak us in to the play-offs and that is a step in the right direction.
Originally posted by Squirrel:

My advice? Don't buy player jerseys. Waste of money.

Anyway, everyone take a look here:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_AVERAGE_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

It's the passing leaders sorted by average per pass. Captain Wounded Duck comes in at number 25. Behind him?

Kerry Collins
Seneca Wallace
Marc Bulger
Kyle Boller
Byron Leftwich
Chad Pennington
Matt Cassel
Brady Quinn
JaMarcus Russell
Josh Johnson
Derek Anderson

Not pretty.

But...but....but....he's undefeated at home......oh, well he only has 1 loss at home!
Share 49ersWebzone