There are 191 users in the forums

I don't understand why everyone wants Hill benched

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Because if the D doesn't score all the points, Sunday's outcome will be repeated numerous times this year.

Our D/ST has 1 less TD then Hill does in passing TD's........tell me that's a positive stat for a starting NFL QB.

What makes you think Alex Leaf will make a difference?

Never said he would, but his mobility in the pocket could lead to less sacks and his arm strength is superior to Hills. You can argue many points but in the athleticism category Smith is better then Hill.

where is his athleticism going to get us when he is really inaccurate and cant hit the open receivers?
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Because if the D doesn't score all the points, Sunday's outcome will be repeated numerous times this year.

Our D/ST has 1 less TD then Hill does in passing TD's........tell me that's a positive stat for a starting NFL QB.

Never said he would, but his mobility in the pocket could lead to less sacks and his arm strength is superior to Hills. You can argue many points but in the athleticism category Smith is better then Hill.

where is his athleticism going to get us when he is really inaccurate and cant hit the open receivers?

I would rather a pass be thrown away then to give up another sack.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its only because people have forgotten the stench of watching Alex "loser" Smith play. Some people seem to think that he magically has gotten better.

i look at it this way. alex smith proved 3 things this preseason... interceptions, fumbles, and injury.

so far shaun hilll has shown us sacks, incompletions!

ya lets start alex smith! and maybe he might throw a pick just like against the raiders, and get hurt just like against the raiders...
Because people want to see 80% completion as well as 300 yards passing and 3 TDs. They want a pro bowl QB. We don't have one but Hill is the best QB we have right now. What he needs is an o-line that can hold their blocks. An O-line that can make holes for our running backs. Shaun Hill has performed well with Hostler and even Martz with less talent. We need to be a little patient with him and call out for an o-line change.

true, but you wont be able to get a first down either way

[ Edited by Daniel2778 on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:46:53 ]
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
After one bad game by Hill and his 1st loss at home I don't understand why everyone wants Singletary to bench Hill. Most of you people want Alex Smith to come in but what about all the bad years Smith gave us and Hill has ONE bad game and you guys want him benched.

I Completely agree.

[ Edited by x49ersx123 on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:49:04 ]
When did Alex Smith become Michael Vick? I don't recall him being nimble in the pocket. I do remember him having happy feet. I guess the longer Smith stays away from the field the more the legend will grow!
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
One bad game? He has had 4 bad games and one horrendous one. Why are we accepting this bum who obviously can't make thrown as a starter. Just because he plays OK? He takes sacks, fumbles the ball, and can't throw deep passes. He is not physically able to compete in this league. Why do you think we are so bad at 3rd and longs? Hill can't connect to anything deep.
Those passes that some WRs drop are because of Ducks balls. For instance, Morgans deep bomb drop against St Louis was a duck. So was the TD he threw right after that to Morgan. He was wide open but had to make a play because of a s**tty throw.

Hill is a good game manager, and he is tough and competitive. But he really does lack skills to help us win. Even though Alex Smith isn't good he may be a better option then Hill at this point.

Odd, isn't Hill's record like 9-3 or something? Look everyone knows Hill is not the long-term guy, but he's the guy who gives us the best chance of winning this year. This offseason the 49ers may have a shot at one of the premier QB's if they don't believe in Nate Davis, and they will also have a chance to upgrade that o-line. It's not like Hill had time to throw against Atlanta. I mean for crying out loud Matt Ryan could have checked his e-mail on some of those passing plays.

That being said, everyone knows Hill can't compete with Matt Ryan, and that was proven in spades on Sunday.

This is a team sport. Yes, the team is 9-3 when Hill is starting. There are many factors in wins and losses besides who is the starter. But the main thing to remember is out of those 9 wins, can you remember a game where Hill made a hell of a play or won the game for us? Can you remember him dominating an opponent.

I am plainly saying that Hill = Smith except Smith is much more physically talented. We could use those talents to get some first downs and maybe some TDs.
Because they claim to be faithful fans but as soon as we lose it's Hill's fault. Our coach has publicly said he did not have us ready. Yet it's still Hill's fault. He gave up 400 yards of offense and fumbled on special teams and mismanaged our timeouts.

Lock every thread about benching Hill. Bunch of whiny fans in this forum.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
One bad game? He has had 4 bad games and one horrendous one. Why are we accepting this bum who obviously can't make thrown as a starter. Just because he plays OK? He takes sacks, fumbles the ball, and can't throw deep passes. He is not physically able to compete in this league. Why do you think we are so bad at 3rd and longs? Hill can't connect to anything deep.
Those passes that some WRs drop are because of Ducks balls. For instance, Morgans deep bomb drop against St Louis was a duck. So was the TD he threw right after that to Morgan. He was wide open but had to make a play because of a s**tty throw.

Hill is a good game manager, and he is tough and competitive. But he really does lack skills to help us win. Even though Alex Smith isn't good he may be a better option then Hill at this point.

Odd, isn't Hill's record like 9-3 or something? Look everyone knows Hill is not the long-term guy, but he's the guy who gives us the best chance of winning this year. This offseason the 49ers may have a shot at one of the premier QB's if they don't believe in Nate Davis, and they will also have a chance to upgrade that o-line. It's not like Hill had time to throw against Atlanta. I mean for crying out loud Matt Ryan could have checked his e-mail on some of those passing plays.

That being said, everyone knows Hill can't compete with Matt Ryan, and that was proven in spades on Sunday.

This is a team sport. Yes, the team is 9-3 when Hill is starting. There are many factors in wins and losses besides who is the starter. But the main thing to remember is out of those 9 wins, can you remember a game where Hill made a hell of a play or won the game for us? Can you remember him dominating an opponent.

I am plainly saying that Hill = Smith except Smith is much more physically talented. We could use those talents to get some first downs and maybe some TDs.

what about those two 80 yard drives against the cards and vikings we would have won against the vikings if it wasn't for favre

[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:50:06 ]

true, but you wont be able to get a first down either way

Very true but keeping the better field position is never a bad thing. Getting sacks that knock us out of FG range or giving more yardage on PR can kill us.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
After one bad game by Hill and his 1st loss at home I don't understand why everyone wants Singletary to bench Hill. Most of you people want Alex Smith to come in but what about all the bad years Smith gave us and Hill has ONE bad game and you guys want him benched.

The back-up QB is always the most popular guy in town. This isn't all that different from when Garcia was here. When things went bad under Garcia, it was as ugly throwing the ball as it was Sunday against the Falcons. At the end of his last year with the 49ers, many fans were happy to see him go because they wanted Rattay. When Rattay didn't turn out to be anything more than a back-up, Smith got his shot, though some wanted Cody Pickett to get a shot. Many soured on Smith because of his ugly rookie year. I even remember initially when Smith got hurt, some were happy to give Dilfer a shot. When Dilfer proved he was a better mentor than player, Hill became everyone's favorite briefly. Last year, the JTO bandwagon filled up through 3 games before everyone called for Hill again as the season went south. Now, Hill has proven to be their best QB but with his weaknesses, so now its back to the back-up QB again, which happens to be Smith. Once Smith throws his first INT, the same people that wanted to give him a shot now will be calling for Nate Davis.

This is going to continue until the 49ers find their next franchise QB. Hill is the best QB on the roster and deserves to start but if you close your eyes and imagine the celebration of the 49ers next SB victory, do you really see Hill standing on the podium as the starting QB?
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Because people are wanting to see offensive domination, and hoping that Smith somehow clicks over to being real good like a light switch. I don't think it is reality, but more power to the dreamers.

People don't want to see domination. We want to see conversions of 3rd downs to keep the chains moving. Maybe some 3rd and shorts for a change?

Just because some want to see Smith doesn't mean we want to air it out all of a sudden. I think Smith can handle dump offs, quick TE hits, and quick WR hits to the outside like Hill is doing. He can also handle those WR out routes that Hill can barely reach to their feet.

no smith can NOT handle dump off passes...fyi
I don't understand why people just can't admit that Hill sucks.
Share 49ersWebzone