LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 183 users in the forums

I don't understand why everyone wants Hill benched

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
We all knew, or should have known, that Hill was only a place-holder until a legit NFL QB arrived, or was developed. Hence, it should not have surprised anyone when the league learned how to defend the very limited offense that result when you have a QB with limited arm strength.

A key point is that Smith has now finally had a decent position coach in Mike Johnson. Several writers noted way back in OTAs that Johnson was completely rebuilding Smith's mechanics and reads. What we saw yesterday was a totally different QB than the one we last saw TWO YEARS AGO.

All the pro observers agreed Smith has NFL physical ability. What he has not had is a decent position coach. It will take a few more games to proved the assurance everyone wants to have - that Alex Smith can be the guy the team needs at QB. One thing is certain, Indy will now have a much more difficult job preparing for the 49er offense than if Smith had not played yesterday.

I have said for weeks on this board that the most important job for 49er management this year was to find out, once and for all, if Alex Smith is the future. If he is, GREAT - that means the top pick in next year's draft can fill a need for something else other than a QB.
Originally posted by dj43:
We all knew, or should have known, that Hill was only a place-holder until a legit NFL QB arrived, or was developed. Hence, it should not have surprised anyone when the league learned how to defend the very limited offense that result when you have a QB with limited arm strength.

A key point is that Smith has now finally had a decent position coach in Mike Johnson. Several writers noted way back in OTAs that Johnson was completely rebuilding Smith's mechanics and reads. What we saw yesterday was a totally different QB than the one we last saw TWO YEARS AGO.

All the pro observers agreed Smith has NFL physical ability. What he has not had is a decent position coach. It will take a few more games to proved the assurance everyone wants to have - that Alex Smith can be the guy the team needs at QB. One thing is certain, Indy will now have a much more difficult job preparing for the 49er offense than if Smith had not played yesterday.

I have said for weeks on this board that the most important job for 49er management this year was to find out, once and for all, if Alex Smith is the future. If he is, GREAT - that means the top pick in next year's draft can fill a need for something else other than a QB.

Great post. My exact thoughts.
Share 49ersWebzone