• trellblaze1
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by trellblaze1:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Do you understand now?

Now I suppose Smith extremists will see this as a victory...even though WE LOST THE ********* GAME.

Neither QB is great, IMO. Smith played much better today but I still haven't seen enough from EITHER to call him our QB of the future. I have more faith in our #3 than our 1 OR 2 and that's not saying much at all...

it really isn't saying much

considering you just said we haven't seen enough from either QB but for some reason you have more faith in the 3rd guy who you have seen nothing from other than meaningless preseason games

But unlike you guys I'm not calling the 3rd guy our QB of the future. I simply said I have more faith in him. Try again, please...

Try again? Actually, I think he already made you look kind of silly

Let's review the post. I said I haven't seen enough of either QB to call him our QB of the future. It SHOULD have gone without saying, but Davis falls under that umbrella as well. Obviously I see now that I have to spell that out. So here it is: I haven't seen enough positives from ANY of our QBs to call him our future leader. That said, I like Davis's upside and potential (which, of course, is speculation/opinion) more than the other 2.
Do you understand now?

Now I suppose Smith extremists will see this as a victory...even though WE LOST THE ********* GAME.

Neither QB is great, IMO. Smith played much better today but I still haven't seen enough from EITHER to call him our QB of the future. I have more faith in our #3 than our 1 OR 2 and that's not saying much at all...

considering you just said we haven't seen enough from either QB but for some reason you have more faith in the 3rd guy who you have seen nothing from other than meaningless preseason games

But unlike you guys I'm not calling the 3rd guy our QB of the future. I simply said I have more faith in him. Try again, please...

Let's review the post. I said I haven't seen enough of either QB to call him our QB of the future. It SHOULD have gone without saying, but Davis falls under that umbrella as well. Obviously I see now that I have to spell that out. So here it is: I haven't seen enough positives from ANY of our QBs to call him our future leader. That said, I like Davis's upside and potential (which, of course, is speculation/opinion) more than the other 2.

cuz Smith doesnt have upside or potential... probably why he wasnt drafted first overall... oh wait...
  • trellblaze1
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Do you understand now?

cuz Smith doesnt have upside or potential... probably why he wasnt drafted first overall... oh wait...

So, because he was drafted first overall...

You know what...nevermind.

None of this is relevant to me. We lost. I just want wins...wouldn't matter to me if Ken Dorsey were back long as he wins...
Do you understand now?

So since you have not seen Davis suck at the NFL level yet (as opposed to the other two), you have more faith in him.

Ah soo......
One bad game?!?

What team have you been watching? It definitely has NOT been the 49ers.

One GOOD game maybe(vs. St. Louis) but not "one bad game" as you suggest.

21 quarters of 3 and outs have been leaving the Defense hung out to dry. That's like going to Camp in July and not letting them out til today. You cannot hope to be competitive when your Defense is sitting on the sidelines with O2 masks on their fasces for a a Quarter and on the field the rest of the time. You just can't.

1 TD through the air on the average doesn't cut it either when you match up against the remaining teams that we have on our schedule.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
One bad game?!?

What team have you been watching? It definitely has NOT been the 49ers.

One GOOD game maybe(vs. St. Louis) but not "one bad game" as you suggest.

21 quarters of 3 and outs have been leaving the Defense hung out to dry. That's like going to Camp in July and not letting them out til today. You cannot hope to be competitive when your Defense is sitting on the sidelines with O2 masks on their fasces for a a Quarter and on the field the rest of the time. You just can't.

1 TD through the air on the average doesn't cut it either when you match up against the remaining teams that we have on our schedule.

~Ceadder

This.
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
After one bad game by Hill and his 1st loss at home I don't understand why everyone wants Singletary to bench Hill. Most of you people want Alex Smith to come in but what about all the bad years Smith gave us and Hill has ONE bad game and you guys want him benched.

They won't be happy until we have another Joe Montana or Steve Young. They were calling for him to be benched when we were winning games. They are just crybabies.

???

Then I'm Senor Grande Crybaby.

Because I've been at this since LAST season when people were huggin Shaun's nuts like you seem to be doing.

I even broke down how Defenses were going to defend against him.

Hmmmmmmm I guess that was wrong wasn't it? Oh wait...

Here it is AGAIN in case you missed any of the hundred OTHER times that I broke it down.

1) His arm limits what plays Raye can send in. I addressed this issue when Raye was brought in even. Which you probably missed. But if the Defense does NOT respect the deep ball, they will stack the box and play Zone fronts to keep the ball in front of them taking away the short and middle routes as best as they can. Judging by all the damn 3 and outs they've been successful limiting the yardage through the air.

2)Protection. The play of the guy Under Center can hinder that just as much as a poor skillset player on the Line can. The idea is to get the ball out fast when your Line is not even average. The QBs' ALL worked on this. Maybe you didn't know it but they had a HUGE clock counting down from 3 seconds. I know for a fact there was a blog by one of the Matts' that stated that Alex mucked up just ONCE and he was sent to the hill to contemplate the error. So what happened to Shaun who cannot run nor get rid of the ball in that time span(sometimes less) when they WORKED on it? Did he all of a sudden forget the drill? If you're even an AVERAGE QB, you should have a time clock in your head counting down from the moment the ball is snapped. Bill Walsh gave Joe Steve and every 9er QB a ball cadence. They were to use their steps as they dropped back.

A) {1st step} look for 1st option (medium to deep ball).

B) {2nd step] 2nd option medium to short

C) {3rd step} Same but out and slant routes

D) {4th step] TE

E) {5th} and finally Backs and dump offs.

$4|T!! I'm not even a QB and never played that position and I know that stuff. Hill ain't stupid so his play must be affected by his own very limited skill set because he can't do A and B rarely does C and seems to check right down to E skipping D outright most of the time.

I did play the WR position though so I pay attention to what the guy who delivered the ball was supposed to do.

Oh yeah and he holds the ball out in free space TOO LONG leaving it where the Opposing Linemen can make a play on the ball.

Does he throw alot of INTs' ala JTO? No. That's great but 3 and out is just as good for the Opposing Defense as a turnover. I shouldn't have to educate you on why either.

It's NICE to have a solid D and RB to mask the occasional bad day.

Hill has had 5 of them.

If you can't see it, I'm damned glad that you aren't one of the Coaches. We'd be F'ed if you were.

How's THAT for crying?

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 26, 2009 at 1:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Do you understand now?

So since you have not seen Davis suck at the NFL level yet (as opposed to the other two), you have more faith in him.

Ah soo......

Ah Falc, to the heart of it as usual.
Whatever spark Hill had before has evaporated...maybe the league wised up to him and realized his limitations. Whatever it was, it's gone. I agree, the offense was stagnating in part because of his limited abilities. I like the guy...he's a real gamer, but he's not the QB to jump-start our offense. Whether Singletary or Raye wants to admit it, being a power running team isn't in the cards...at least not yet. They need to focus on spreading the ball around...pass first to set up the run, as Niner teams in the past did, with great success. The strength of the offense is in our receiving corps...Vernon's having a career year, albeit w/o any consistent QB play. It sure seemed obvious he and Alex have a special connection...even after two years of not playing together. Add Crabtree to the mix (this kid's gonna be a Pro Bowler, IMHO), Morgan, and yes, bring Brandon Jones into it, and we've got a group of guys who can consistently makes plays and put points on the board. The offensive philosophy has to change...and after watching yesterday's game film, Coach will have to realize that. The OL still isn't right...the right side's still the weak point. Wragge needs to see the field...he'll solidify RG, then if Pashos is out for a spell, Snyder can hold the fort down.
I think what people are forgetting is that we rushed Alex Smith in to play during his rookie year... and it really hurt his development. Then year after year he had to learn a new OC's playbook... Hostler should have never got the job and that really hurt the team, especially Smith. Can any QB be great having to go through that? It's like a rookie season every year. Then to top it off Smith was injured for most of 2 seasons, 1 of them, trying to throw with a seperated shoulder. I think this to be most of the reason for the INTs in his stats. Has anyone ever tried to throw the ball with an injury to your throwing arm? I doubt anyone would be able to zip it anywhere. He might have seen a receiver moving in or out of a zone or beating his man but when he tried to get the ball there, like he knows he should be able to, his arm just couldn't get the ball out right.

I think it was good for Alex Smith to come in when he did yesterday rather than start week 1. First, he injured his thumb... I wouldn't want to risk him not being able to grip the ball, this is probably an additional reason why he didn't get the start at the beginning of the season. It also gave him a chance to learn the offense for 7 additional weeks before getting thrown out to the wolves again. And don't forget, under this number system, which Norv Turner used, we were 2 games, that we could've won, away from the playoffs. We were all excited about the following year which turned out to be the dreadful Hostler season. I think Smith could do really well now that we have more weapons on offense.

I'm not saying that Alex Smith is definately the 3rd coming of the Chosen One but I do think we need to give him a real opportunity to succeed now that he is healthy.

That being said, all the people out there calling Nate Davis the better QB thinking he should get the start... he really needs to sit and learn before playing against starting defenses in the NFL. Sure he looked good during preseason, but don't forget, his time on the field during the preseason was mostly against 2nds, 3rds and others trying to make their teams final roster... playing at or about the same speed as he was use to in college. Let Davis get up to speed with the NFL and learn the system and maybe we'll see what he can really do in the future.

Let's just hope that Jimmy Raye can get things going with our offense and he sticks around... else we'll be back to being garbage on offense with another new OC. If it ever comes to that, I'd like to see if we can get Holmgren.

Hill sucks... he's slow with the progressions and doesn't have an arm. Like someone said in an early post, 3 and outs are just as bad as turnovers. There's a reason why we've sat at the bottom in the league in offensive stats... Hill is not a bonafide starter in this league for any team. Sure, give him all the time in the world in the pocket and he'll find that guy that finally got wide open.

Smith will help make defenses play honest and not stack the box. Correction... Smith, Gore, V.Davis, Crabtree, Bruce, Battle and Morgan will force defenses to play honest helping our O-Line to do a better job. If Smith can't continue to get the job done, then we'll know for sure that we need to find another QB and can be done with the Smith/Hill saga. If he can get it done, it's about damn time and there will no longer be a contoversy. We can let Nate Davis develop and hopefully see his true potential as an NFL QB.

Before the 2nd half of yesterday's game, it was hard to watch all the highs and lows of each game. It's really exhausting to go from pissed-off mad, yelling at the offense through tv to hootin and hollering for our defense making up the difference. Sure, while Hill was under center we were above .500... but our defense was scoring and we were playing mediocre teams. Hill got credit for more than he was worth and our offense was horrible. It's great to finally see some offense... I just hope it continues. We were playing from behind in the second half and I realize that we weren't playing against a great defense that was not ready for Alex Smith which might have inflated my feeling of returned hope for the team. Let's see what happens this week as we prepare for the Colts, who'll also be more prepared for our new offense.

Let's starting hitting people in the mouth in all phases of this game.

LET'S GO NINERS, LET'S GO!
[ Edited by 9erfaithful on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:40 AM ]

Originally posted by blm7754:
Hill should not be benched. His ability to get the ball out quick for short gains is the main reason why we are 3-2. Alex may still be more talented, but without solid protection we would see more interceptions and fewer first downs.

so going 3 and out is better?

We werent getting first downs with Hill, so why keep going with the same s**t.
People who want Davis to play, why?

Flacco had harbaugh (offensive guy)

Ryan had a great running game and good solid weapons (white, jenkins).

Nate davis would have Jimmy Raye, and no run game. Not going to go well if Nate Davis comes in, I would rather have him sit and develop his skills.
Ill say it again Smiths hard count is a better QB than Hills arm
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ill say it again Smiths hard count is a better QB than Hills arm

When it's time to change, you've got to rearrange...
Game wasn't available in my region, so I only got the highlights. The one completion of Hill's on the highlights was a duck that took forever to get to Crabtree...I mean forever...He threw the ball, I took a pi$$, poured a beer, made a sandwich, took the dogs out, and when I got back in front of the TV, it was still in the air. If that was his highlight of the game...

That's why I'd like to see him benched.
Share 49ersWebzone