There are 243 users in the forums

I don't understand why everyone wants Hill benched

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
32 career games Smith has 31 ints and 19 TD's

18 career games Hill has 23TD's and 11 ints.

I suppose people here know more than Singletary. You guys should call Jed York and ask him to let you pick our personel and decide who should start. Don't forget to let him know about Alex's potential and upside.

Alex was like 21 in his 1st year starting, Hill is 29 and has been watching for like 6 years.

don't give me this smith is young crap he sucks and that's it there are a lot of very young QB's that are very good Ryan,Flacco,Sanchez etc. and these guys didn't sit they started their 1st games as rookies

Don't tell me that you are going to try to say that the Niners team Smith started with has the talent that the Falcons/Ravens/Jets have. I have been a Niner fan for over 30 years now and that team was the absolute worst team that I have ever seen them field. I suppose you think that any of the rosters that Smith has played on were as good as any of those rosters, no you are just another one of the guys here that cannot see, or refuse to admit how bad the team was around Smith. That lack of reasoning pretty much ruins your comparison. You put any of those guys on the 2005 Niner team and they end up with the same results. He hasn't played on a team as good as this team is now, we have better talent across the board, other than offensive line, which I call a wash. Just keep on hating Smith for no real reason, blame him for the terrible situation that he was put in, and keep making excuses for a guy that can't even learn to throw a spiral in 9 years, checks down to backs with open receivers downfield on third and long, throws into double and triple coverage, lacks pocket presence, takes unnecessary sacks instead of throwing the ball away. Reasons that when people tried to apply to Smith, were ridiculed as making excuses. Hypocrisy runs rampant on these boards, when reason should win out among intelligent men. I am not in favor of benching Hill at this point, but you guys need to realize that all this hypocrisy makes you all look ignorant. He is what he has always been, a pretty good back up that we are lucky to have, but nowhere near a top tier NFL QB.
Originally posted by 49ersking:

I suppose people here know more than Singletary. You guys should call Jed York and ask him to let you pick our personel and decide who should start. Don't forget to let him know about Alex's potential and upside.

Alex was like 21 in his 1st year starting, Hill is 29 and has been watching for like 6 years.

don't give me this smith is young crap he sucks and that's it there are a lot of very young QB's that are very good Ryan,Flacco,Sanchez etc. and these guys didn't sit they started their 1st games as rookies

Well said, but then, I'm sure we'll have an excuse for Alex...after all, he's the #1 overall pick so he has to be special! How could he be #1 if he wasn't special.
Please, we've seen enough. Neither Hill nor Smith are great, but I know that Hill has heart, and that's always worth a lot.
I'm sure after this season is over, we'll be looking for a long term QB, but based on what we have on our current roster, Hill is the right choice.

Agreed, case and piont.. J Russell.
Originally posted by Giant9er:

Well said, but then, I'm sure we'll have an excuse for Alex...after all, he's the #1 overall pick so he has to be special! How could he be #1 if he wasn't special.
Please, we've seen enough. Neither Hill nor Smith are great, but I know that Hill has heart, and that's always worth a lot.
I'm sure after this season is over, we'll be looking for a long term QB, but based on what we have on our current roster, Hill is the right choice.

Agreed, case and piont.. J Russell.

Comparisons that take into account decisions made by the Raiders do not apply in any reasonable conversation.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Because if the D doesn't score all the points, Sunday's outcome will be repeated numerous times this year.

Our D/ST has 1 less TD then Hill does in passing TD's........tell me that's a positive stat for a starting NFL QB.

We don't throw it that much, he has a great percentage and good TD/INT ratio, so you should be complaining about the playcalling not the QB performance.

Are passing ratio to running is like 56% (quoted from a different thread). So that argument that Hill isn't allowed to throw the ball is incorrect. Furthermore the people that keep saying he is undefeated at home (not now) and his TD/Int ratio blah blah blah argument doesn't hold much water. Hill hasn't even started 16 games in his career, the longer he plays the more his inflated stats will drop back down to reality.

The playcalling is for checkdown and dump offs, basically a west coast outside run. A passing formation is 3 WR and a TE going on a route at least 10-15 yards deep. We don't run that very often because our o-line can't protect the QB long enough for the receivers to get open.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Don't tell me that you are going to try to say that the Niners team Smith started with has the talent that the Falcons/Ravens/Jets have. I have been a Niner fan for over 30 years now and that team was the absolute worst team that I have ever seen them field. I suppose you think that any of the rosters that Smith has played on were as good as any of those rosters, no you are just another one of the guys here that cannot see, or refuse to admit how bad the team was around Smith. That lack of reasoning pretty much ruins your comparison. You put any of those guys on the 2005 Niner team and they end up with the same results. He hasn't played on a team as good as this team is now, we have better talent across the board, other than offensive line, which I call a wash. Just keep on hating Smith for no real reason, blame him for the terrible situation that he was put in, and keep making excuses for a guy that can't even learn to throw a spiral in 9 years, checks down to backs with open receivers downfield on third and long, throws into double and triple coverage, lacks pocket presence, takes unnecessary sacks instead of throwing the ball away. Reasons that when people tried to apply to Smith, were ridiculed as making excuses. Hypocrisy runs rampant on these boards, when reason should win out among intelligent men. I am not in favor of benching Hill at this point, but you guys need to realize that all this hypocrisy makes you all look ignorant. He is what he has always been, a pretty good back up that we are lucky to have, but nowhere near a top tier NFL QB.

These boards are no place for logic. Take it elsewhere.
After one bad game by Hill and his 1st loss at home I don't understand why everyone wants Singletary to bench Hill. Most of you people want Alex Smith to come in but what about all the bad years Smith gave us and Hill has ONE bad game and you guys want him benched.

One bad game, are you kidding? Every game for Hill is a bad game. He mananges one drive a game that results in points and all the Hill lovers think he is clutch. He is nothing more than a pie chucking, bar league QB, that has no business being a starter on an NFL team.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
After one bad game by Hill and his 1st loss at home I don't understand why everyone wants Singletary to bench Hill. Most of you people want Alex Smith to come in but what about all the bad years Smith gave us and Hill has ONE bad game and you guys want him benched.

One bad game, are you kidding? Every game for Hill is a bad game. He mananges one drive a game that results in points and all the Hill lovers think he is clutch. He is nothing more than a pie chucking, bar league QB, that has no business being a starter on an NFL team.

Oh yeah and i forgot Smith has been Great every game he's ever played in...the only good game Smith ever had was the one against the Seahawks when we came back and won other than that Smith shouldn't even be in this league
Originally posted by Squirrel:

Hmm. . . . I think most people just asking for a change, since Hill is clearly sucking the sh!t out of a donkey's a$$ right now. Why not see if Smith has any more luck to open it up for the running game?

Oh, that's right. Hill is a gamer. He's a leader. He's a warrior who's proven to just win games.

The fact is neither one of our top two quarterbacks are good. Neither one will lead us any where. However, Smith has shown that he can "manage" a team with a 1,700-yard back as the focal point.
Was smith blocking for gore that year or something smith had nothing to do with gore getting 1600 yards that year

But, the point is this: Everyone says that Gore is the focal point of our offense. Rightfully so. The quarterback just manages the game (a load of bullsh!t, if you ask me). However, the quarterback has to be able to complete passes down the field when the situation warrants it. Hill can't do that. He can't. Don't lie to yourself and say that he can. The point of having Smith start would be to have someone who is at least capable of throwing it down the field.

Now, before you call me a Smith Homer, let me point out again that I don't think either one of our top two quarterbacks can get the job done for us.
You Alex should start guys have exhausted me. I don't hate Alex, I like the guy. But he's not the answer to our problems. He needs to go to another team. Start fresh. Maybe one day he can be a starter in this league. I wish him well. Right now he would only come in if Hill gets hurt.

Hill may not be the future but I don't remember the season being 5 weeks long.

Or if Hill keeps playing like s**t.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

Makes you wonder what Raye and Singletary were thinking

Oh yeah and i forgot Smith has been Great every game he's ever played in...the only good game Smith ever had was the one against the Seahawks when we came back and won other than that Smith shouldn't even be in this league

In that case, neither should Hill.

Quit changing the standards for the two quarterbacks. If you're going to judge one by a certain set of criteria, judge the other by the same set.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by MSteitz468:

They won't be happy until we have another Joe Montana or Steve Young. They were calling for him to be benched when we were winning games. They are just crybabies.

How can you two zoners make such general accusations? EVERYONE wants Hill benched? Really? We are ALL crybabies? Really? (BTW, name calling is tabu here and can get you banned)

Speak for yourselves, you don't know how ALL or EVERYONE of us feel.

Are you serious? Obviously I wasn't talking about everybody. Maybe read the post again and let me know where I said EVERYBODY on this board did. The title of this post is misleading and I was responding to what the original poster actually said.

In that case, neither should Hill.

Quit changing the standards for the two quarterbacks. If you're going to judge one by a certain set of criteria, judge the other by the same set.

Hill has had better games than Smith and this guy just simply WINS! at the end of the day that's all that matters right? you can't say the same for smith and this guy was the 1st overall pick

[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Oct 13, 2009 at 13:47:19 ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Before Sunday's game, Hill had better numbers and more yards than Matt Ryan.

Just a thought.

Still pimping for your boy Hill after he showed again why he is Captain Wounded Duck? Pathetic.

LOL, I like the name.

I thought about Major Wounded Duck, but settle for Captain.

I just can't get over Josh Morgan telling Sing "It came down like a punt!" ...that is frickin hilarious!

But, it hit him in the hands, so he has to catch it.

Tight spirals are easier to catch and harder to intercept than wounded ducks.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

Same could be said for Hill , so where does that leave us , No QB again
Share 49ersWebzone