Heard on KNBR on why we looked lost on the deep ball

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hill missed horribly on those throws.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I don't know which player it was but they said

"The reason that we didn't do well at all during those plays, is that we didn't practice those"

Is Raye this stubborn not to practice the deep ball? No wonder Hill looks so lost out there on deep routes, if you don't practice them how are you supposed to connect with your receivers?

This is not the philosophy of our HC. We're going to run, even when they know we're going to run, remember?

I was wondering when you and Sabrson (same person) were going to come back from your dark hiding spot. When the 49ers were doing well you guys were quiet, the moment they perform poorly you come out. This pattern reminds me very much of a dung eating little girl.

[ Edited by KasparHauser on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:25:59 ]
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
has anyone thought that we have a higher pass percentage based no the fact that towards the end of the game, all we are doing is trying to play catch up? I want to see what the run:pass percentage is for the first quarter, second quarter, third and fourth

Do you mean for this last game or all of the games? I'm a little confused as in other games the score was close and there was very minimal catching up to do.
Originally posted by krizay:

"The reason that we didn't do well at all during those plays, is that we didn't practice those"

Is Raye this stubborn not to practice the deep ball? No wonder Hill looks so lost out there on deep routes, if you don't practice them how are you supposed to connect with your receivers?

This is not the philosophy of our HC. We're going to run, even when they know we're going to run, remember?

We have a 56% pass to run ratio! Well if you include the sacks as a pass play. But doesn't include Hill's scrambles as called pass plays.

See please stop with the all we do is run mumbo jumbo! ALL OF YOU!
Originally posted by NCommand:

It was also reported that when Coffee came to the 49ers, he liked to bounce it outside and Raye ripped him a new one ensuring he ONLY run up the gut (ala Gore too). The commentators last Sunday were perplexed by this. Hmmmmm

Yeah he told him not to cut so much, no wonder Coffee just runs right into the defenders. Goddamn Raye

We have a 56% pass to run ratio! Well if you include the sacks as a pass play. But doesn't include Hill's scrambles as called pass plays.

Yea srsly we pass that's not the problem, the problem is the Falcons took away our medium/short passes and made us go down the field and we couldn't..this explains on WHY we have so much trouble with the medium/deep passes, we don't f**king practice them!

It really is this simple. Although, I might add some of this might have something to do Shaun's weak arm. It's just a guess.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
has anyone thought that we have a higher pass percentage based no the fact that towards the end of the game, all we are doing is trying to play catch up? I want to see what the run:pass percentage is for the first quarter, second quarter, third and fourth

Do you mean for this last game or all of the games? I'm a little confused as in other games the score was close and there was very minimal catching up to do.

as I said, I would want to see the breakdown of every quarter from every game.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
I am sorry to say but this is what Singletary wants

Coach what is you offensive strategy?

We are going to run the ball!

What happens when that doesn't work? Contingency plan?

There isn't one. We are going to run the ball!

I think it has more to do with Raye not trusting Hill

I kind of think the same thing at this point. I mean, Raye WAS a Quarter Back after all.

I believe it has more to do with Hills ability to throw the long ball. Even if he
had time (O-line blocking issues) he doesn't have the arm strength to hurt you
with the long ball.
lol, perhaps this explains Singletary's comment that they need to do a better job getting the team prepared to play. You can't exactly expect a team that struggles offensively to just run a bunch of plays they never practiced. This sounds like a Nolanism.

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

I believe it has more to do with Hills ability to throw the long ball. Even if he
had time (O-line blocking issues) he doesn't have the arm strength to hurt you
with the long ball.

It doesn't have to be a 50 yard bomb, He was second in the entire NFL in passes of 20+ yards last year after he took over as the starter. I bet Raye doesn't even practice those because it sure doesn't seem like it.
  • kem99
  • Veteran

Yea srsly we pass that's not the problem, the problem is the Falcons took away our medium/short passes and made us go down the field and we couldn't..this explains on WHY we have so much trouble with the medium/deep passes, we don't f**king practice them!

Its funny how people complain or critique one thing but then never connect the dots. Here is why they're struggling with the medium to deep passing game: The OL is struggling in opening up holes for the running game and Gore has been out for essentially the last 3 games. As a result of not being able to run the ball, the offense has been stuck in a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Remember the announcers pointed out a couple of times that the Falcons were playing a 4-2-5 defense at times and the 49ers still could not run the ball. The inability to run the ball has also hurt the play-action game. All of which has left the 49ers in more obvious passing downs than they would like and allowed the opposing teams to dial up the pressure on Hill by either rushing 4 without having to worry about the run or bringing blitzers. The result is Hill is often being harassed and often does not have the time to let the long to medium throws develop or can't step into the deep ball, which he has to do given his "average" arm strength. And, knowing that they can get pressure on the QB and now having some film on Hill, teams know to play the short to medium passing game, which is why it looked like all the Falcons were within 5 yards of the line of scrimage on every pass play on Sunday.

If they can get the run game fixed with Gore coming back and changes on the OL, the pass rush will slow down and play action will work as well. The down and distance will also make the offense less predictable. Hill will have more time, etc. But, if they can't get Gore and the running game going, Hill just is not the QB to carry them. That QB is likely not on the roster.
Originally posted by kem99:

Its funny how people complain or critique one thing but then never connect the dots. Here is why they're struggling with the medium to deep passing game: The OL is struggling in opening up holes for the running game and Gore has been out for essentially the last 3 games. As a result of not being able to run the ball, the offense has been stuck in a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Remember the announcers pointed out a couple of times that the Falcons were playing a 4-2-5 defense at times and the 49ers still could not run the ball. The inability to run the ball has also hurt the play-action game. All of which has left the 49ers in more obvious passing downs than they would like and allowed the opposing teams to dial up the pressure on Hill by either rushing 4 without having to worry about the run or bringing blitzers. The result is Hill is often being harassed and often does not have the time to let the long to medium throws develop or can't step into the deep ball, which he has to do given his "average" arm strength. And, knowing that they can get pressure on the QB and now having some film on Hill, teams know to play the short to medium passing game, which is why it looked like all the Falcons were within 5 yards of the line of scrimage on every pass play on Sunday.

If they can get the run game fixed with Gore coming back and changes on the OL, the pass rush will slow down and play action will work as well. The down and distance will also make the offense less predictable. Hill will have more time, etc. But, if they can't get Gore and the running game going, Hill just is not the QB to carry them. That QB is likely not on the roster.

Yes but it doesn't help when you don't practice the plays AT ALL every QB gets pressured and some can still make the throws..but if you aren't practicing them during the week what makes you think you will be able to execute during the game?
i dont get it. during training camp, the matts had sprinkled their reports on how good smith/hill looked on deep passes. and how well the receivers were catching. i don't believe much of it.

however, maybe that was spring training and not during the season. if so:
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by King49er:

So when we were winning, you were nowhere to be found, but the minute we lose a bad one you come crawling out of the woodworks....quite shocking...

Very true. He's not fooling anyone is he?

Share 49ersWebzone