LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

The Problem Starts With Scotty???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Do the 49ers bring in Mike Holmgren to take Scot's job?

I too have reservations about Scot. I worry he is going to blow our two first rounders next year.

How much could we have used William Beatty or Phil Loadholt THIS year?

I don't know, but I am not a NFL scout! Hind sight is easy I know, but not too impressed with Scot's tract record.

Holmgren is a crappy GM who just like Nolan got his duties revoked in Seattle.

I don't know why everyone is aboard the Holmgren for GM train.

Can someone give me a good reason?

-9fA
Scotty's built a good team when he took over this team had no one he's made some good additions:
Gore
Willis
Staley
Davis
J.Smith
N.Clements
A.Franklin
M.Crabtree-burn me for it I don't care
J.Morgan-6th round pick
D.Walker-6th round pick
P.Haralson-late round pick
M.Lewis-has played well in his tenure here
T.Spikes
J.Nedney
M.Norris
some of his additions are to young or the signing was to recent to truly evaluate such as
Balmer
Rachel
R.Smith
P.Mckillop
G.Coffee
B.Jones
D.Goldston
T.Brown
point is the guy def missed drafting Baas and signing J.Jennings/M.Smith and the A.Smith topic is beat to death. We are a playoff team and will win the NFC west we have 2 first round picks next year, a good salary cap situation, most of our core players either signed long term or at least signed long enough to work something out. we need to get another OT/OG/S and maybe a QB to be superbowl contenders did you expect us to be superbowl contenders by now?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Is it the offseason already?

-9fA

yes, because after the last game, the season is over. After all, a 20% failure rate is much worse than a 80% success rate.

I too have reservations about Scot. I worry he is going to blow our two first rounders next year.

I don't know, but I am not a NFL scout! Hind sight is easy I know, but not too impressed with Scot's tract record.

-9fA

I am not advocating that we dump Scot and bring in Holmgren, I am just asking; if we dump Scot, who will be his replacement?

I am not convinced Scot is the problem here.

Our O-Line and pass rush are the culprits. Our QB could manage fine if he had time to throw. Without a consistent pass rush, NFL QB's are going to burn us week in and week out.

I still want to draft a QB next year.

-9fA

I am not advocating that we dump Scot and bring in Holmgren, I am just asking; if we dump Scot, who will be his replacement?

Our O-Line and pass rush are the culprits. Our QB could manage fine if he had time to throw. Without a consistent pass rush, NFL QB's are going to burn us week in and week out.

Holmgren does suck as a GM no way we should bring him in. I think Scotty has done fine building the team we're just not done building. Going into yesterday's game the 9ers were 7th in the NFL in sacks I believe the passrush will be fine. Not top tier in the league and no we will not have a pro bowl pass rusher and maybe we need one before we win the whole thing. The OL is the biggest problem we need to get a min of 2 new players next year I just hope we can hold up the rest of this season.
No.
Originally posted by Giant9er:
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
All I have to say about this is without Scott, we do not draft Patrick Willis.

Uh no, they don't bring in Holmgren to replace Scott. Holmgren sucked as a GM in Seattle for a few years when he held both titles. That is why he was replaced by Ruskell as GM about 4 or 5 years ago. Holmgren is a good X's and O's guy, not a presonnel evaluator.

Ok,

I do think Scotty is doing a good job. The defensive team seems to be very good (aside the atlanta game).

On offense, he's done an okay job. Actually, I would give Scotty good grades on offense except one position: the QB. The OL maybe still be developing and gel-ing

By far the most important position for any contender is the QB position. and IMHO, i think we are very weak at QB with Hill right now.

Coming to think about it, I think if we have a franchise QB right now, we would be contenders right now...anyways, I do hope we find that franchise QB with Nate Davis or from next years draft

-9fA

Sorry, i didn't mean to direct my post at you. I also agree with you that Scotty has been doing just an ok job at organizing the roster.

To me, the o-line and QB are the main issues. All top teams around the league have two things in common:
1. Franchise QB
2. Solid o-line.

-9fA
It is all about evaluation. Some are better at it than others. New England has a good track record at bringing in good, but not headliner, FAs. These guys play solid football, and are instrumental in the team's success.

Scot has struck paydirt with a number of FAs, but it seems that his disappointments have been all too frequent. And although Willis and Staley are good, his other first rounders, especially the high ones, have not performed at the levels one would expect from where they were picked. I have to give him a C-, which may not be good enough to return our team to its former glory.
not keeping smiley was a mistake could have signed him & drafted desean instead of chilo he's had some hits but a lot of misses also
Hey ginseng, I'm wondering who these top flight guys at those positions are that we missed on. I agree that no SuperStar status guys have been brought in under Scot's watch, but who are the guys that were there for the taking and we just straight up passed on?
Share 49ersWebzone