LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

The Problem Starts With Scotty???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just get the feeling that management doesn't have a winning mentality...

Okay...just hear me out on this...

It seems that every years, Scotty and who ever LOVES to sign 2nd tier players from free agency. For example, who have we signed in terms of WR since Scotty got here??? They were all cast offs and underachievers for other teams. And Scotty some how feels that these under-achieved WRs will live up to their potential with the Niners. Here's the list:

Darrell Jackson
Bryant Johnson
Brandon Jones

Okay..the jury is still out on Brandon Jones, but reality is his just a #2 guy..how many #2 guys do we need with J Hill, Morgan, Bruce, Battle, Ziegler???

How come we never go for a big time player?? i.e. Jets trading for Braylon Edwards or Bills making a run for TO, etc.

And then we were thin at the tackle position since Jonas Jennings left...and basically Scotty gambled on Marvel Smith (who is coming off back injury). Looked how he turned out.....his back couldn't hold up...

Same with the QB position. We went into this season with Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. Maybe Scotty feels that Alex Smith will still live up to his potential but the truth came out when Smith didn't win out the competition during training camp....

It just irritates me that we were 7-9 last season and Scotty thinks somehow we can become contenders without any significant upgrade on our roster...

My impression is that management is just too cheap to sign the good players, and rather gamble on draft to build up the team. They were even too cheap to resign Justin Smiley...and now we are stuck with under-achieving Chilo whose gonna loose out to Tony Wraggle....

look at chicago, I would say they are more talented than we were last year...and they went out and traded for Cutler...

Look at the Jets, they went out and traded for Braylon.

I'm just saying...I think part of the problem starts with management...
All I have to say about this is without Scott, we do not draft Patrick Willis.
  • stewama
  • Info N/A
Do you have examples of top level free agents you wish we pursued? There are maybe a handful of elite tackles and wide receivers in the NFL. It's easy to say we aren't spending the money to get top level guys in free agency, but unless you have concrete examples it means nothing.

Oh... and Owens and Edwards are terrible.

[ Edited by stewama on Oct 12, 2009 at 19:28:51 ]
Crabtree and is not an upgrade?
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

My impression is that management is just too cheap to sign the good players,
Gawd here we go.

[ Edited by lazy on Oct 12, 2009 at 19:29:19 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Does Nate Clements ring a bell?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Okay..Patrick Willis was there from our draft...it seems like Scotty does love to build from the draft...I give him credit for that..

I'm just talking about acquiring a proven player during the off season....other teams seem to do it...why don't we?? Too expensive?
NO.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
NO.
All I'm saying is...

if you were GM of the 49ers...and you just came off a FEW losing seasons...

wouldn't you try to upgrade your roster?

I know the draft is for rebuilding...but usually players from draft picks take a year or two or more to reach their potential....and sometimes drafted players don't pan out...

Our roster this year is basically the same as last years...(we added marvel smith and Brandon Jones).

I'm just venting about this lackluster approach or philosophy management has...where as other teams do try to go for that big name player...

Is it the offseason already?

-9fA
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Okay..Patrick Willis was there from our draft...it seems like Scotty does love to build from the draft...I give him credit for that..

I'm just talking about acquiring a proven player during the off season....other teams seem to do it...why don't we?? Too expensive?

Acquiring a free agent has the potential to disrupt a team. For example, in exchange for a quality free agent, who or what do you trade? If you believe in building your team through the draft, then trading future draft picks for a current free agent is dicey.

What if the free agent fails to perform up to standard? Sometimes, a player will perform well with one team and poorly with another.

We could have gotten Albert Haynesworth. But Aubrayo Franklin is doing quite well, thank you very much. So it wouldn't have been worth it to trade future draft picks for Haynesworth, though many zoners seemed to think we were crazy for going with Franklin when Haynesworth was available.

Either you trust the Coach or you don't. I think Mike Singletary is the most important factor that will propel the 49ers to the playoffs... THIS YEAR!

Overall, free agency is seldom the way to build a team that lasts. It might help to fill a few holes, but I prefer Scotty's tactic: build through the draft.

[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Oct 12, 2009 at 19:53:38 ]
Do the 49ers bring in Mike Holmgren to take Scot's job?

I too have reservations about Scot. I worry he is going to blow our two first rounders next year.

How much could we have used William Beatty or Phil Loadholt THIS year?

I don't know, but I am not a NFL scout! Hind sight is easy I know, but not too impressed with Scot's tract record.
All I'm saying is...

if you were GM of the 49ers...and you just came off a FEW losing seasons...

wouldn't you try to upgrade your roster?

I know the draft is for rebuilding...but usually players from draft picks take a year or two or more to reach their potential....and sometimes drafted players don't pan out...

Our roster this year is basically the same as last years...(we added marvel smith and Brandon Jones).

I'm just venting about this lackluster approach or philosophy management has...where as other teams do try to go for that big name player...

I understand you are venting. But think about what you are saying.

Niners sign 2nd tier players: #1 FA CB, #1 FA DE

Niners are cheap: huge contracts given to Clements, Justin Smith, Glass Jennings

As for top tier WR's, who is available (that doesn't cost $12 mil per year)? Was Fitz, A Johnson, Calvin Johnson available?
Share 49ersWebzone