There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A Fun Two Weeks of Competition Across the Offense

Originally posted by cNiner:
Wow , so our best potintial WR will be coming out only on 3rd and long, unless MR Ray decide, he wants to throw on 2nd down and leave old timer in the whole time. I would put in Crap , Morgan & jones run go routes and let VD, gore work the short medium routes !

Ahhh.....Don't you have to have protection for that to work? You know, just thinking out loud.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Wow , so our best potintial WR will be coming out only on 3rd and long, unless MR Ray decide, he wants to throw on 2nd down and leave old timer in the whole time. I would put in Crap , Morgan & jones run go routes and let VD, gore work the short medium routes !

Ahhh.....Don't you have to have protection for that to work? You know, just thinking out loud.

and a qb that can get the receivers the ball?
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
I think something that most people don't account when blaming the defense is the spot the offense puts them in, first giving the other team the ball at the 20 yard line first thing(INT) followed by a short drive and putting the D right back out there. Our offense needs to sustain drives we can't have so many 3 and outs, it will wear the defense down, it will get in their head. Our offense needs to help the defense win not be dragged there. I put this loss on the offense as much or more then the defense. The only 3 people that played the game for real was Lawson, Smith and Willis other than that no one really showed up on either side.

I think this is a fantastic point. But you look at the yards per game numbers for our defense, they don't really look elite, but those numbers are deceiving because the defense spends so much time on the field.

These numbers I like better:

Pass defense
6.7 Y/A against - 14th in NFL
180 attempts against - 3rd most in NFL
58.8 comp. % against - 11 in NFL

Rush defense
3.3 Y/A against - 3rd in NFL
135 att against - 11th most in NFL

These numbers clearly show that our offense has not been on the field long enough.
It would be smart to at least keep an eye the QB situation. Hill looks to be getting progressively worse. Many here fail to remember that he has NEVER started a complete NFL season, and you know what?

I expect that to still be the case at the end of this year.

Hill is going to get stuck on the sideline due to one of two possible reasons:

1) Plays so poorly that we have to bench him to allow another QB to spark the offense.

2) Our OL continues to play horrendous and Hill gets blasted and injured, leading to Alex starting.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 13, 2009 at 14:06:56 ]
  • king32
  • Info N/A
From Mindi Bach's Twitter:

"From 49ers; Gore, Crabtree & Alex Smith will stay during the bye week to work on offense"

Somebody may have already noted this. Couldn't find it anywhere though. I would think Shaun Hill should stay during the bye as well and build some chemistry with Crab.

Link
Originally posted by king32:

"From 49ers; Gore, Crabtree & Alex Smith will stay during the bye week to work on offense"

Somebody may have already noted this. Couldn't find it anywhere though. I would think Shaun Hill should stay during the bye as well and build some chemistry with Crab.

Link

The entire offensive line should stay too.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Link

Absolutely.
Running some numbers on Hill. Take it for what it is worth:
1) 179.6 Passing Yards per game- 27th in NFL
2) 80.7 Passer Rating- 23rd in NFL
3) 5 TD Passes- Tied for 20th in NFL
4) 9 Passes of 20+ yards- Tied for 22nd in the NFL
5) 6.2 yards per pass attempt- 25th in NFL
6) 56.3% completion percentage- 30th in NFL
7) 144 Passing attempts- 16th in the NFL
8) 26.4 of passes completed create first down-32nd in the NFL

The number that jumped out to me was the number of pass attempts, 144. Hill has thrown the ball in the middle area for starting QB's (16th in the NFL), but we are 27th in yards per game.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

The number that jumped out to me was the number of pass attempts, 144. Hill has thrown the ball in the middle area for starting QB's (16th in the NFL), but we are 27th in yards per game.

That directly translates to "no arm" and "coaches don't trust me"

Link

Whoa, Alex Smith? Why not Shaun Hill? Wouldn't the starter need more chemistry?

Still, the fact that these players want to stay back and work with Crabtree says volumes.

We got two weeks to fix this thing and this is a solid start!
  • da209
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

Link

Still, the fact that these players want to stay back and work with Crabtree says volumes.

championship!!!!!!!!!! way to go A. Smith
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

Link

Smith has seen our line. He knows it's only a matter of time.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Link

And the coaches too, and while were at it, how about the entire team.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

You can't beat around the bush here. Telling it like it is, those numbers are atrocious. We're last in the league with the highest number of 3-and-outs in the NFL. Understandably, that doesn't all fall on Hill -- but I wouldn't doubt for a second that if Alex were in and our offense had a stat like that, people would be all over him instead of defending him like many are with Hill as they blame Raye instead.

I'd have to believe the percentage would be better if Alex were playing, too -- and why? -- because you can't get any worse than last place, and that's where we fall under that category.

It's whatever, though. If this continues it's only a matter of time before a change occurs. I believe Singletary has made it clear he has no problem doing so.