LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

3-4 Elephant Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was wondering if the 49ers should try using the 3-4 Elephant Defense they used in the late 80's with Charles Haley. Justin Smith is obviously the teams best pass rusher and allowing him to flop from side to side would allow him to dominate more. I think his strength is attacking, not containing and tying up blockers. If Justin Smith is used as the rush-backer, Balmer can take his place as right end. This would allow Parys Haralson who is not an everydown player to be used on passing downs.
I know this takes away from the element of surprise of who's going to rush the passer Haralson or Lawson, but neither of them is cutting it. Plus, Lawson is a much better coverage-run stopper than pass rusher, so this puts Lawson at his strengths.
Now I'm not saying they should use this the entire game, but maybe a few series here and there.
Heck yeah mine as well.

In fact I think we should rush Pwilly more---leave Takeo and McKillop to mop up the slop.

Smith from the right, Pwilly from the left...oh yeah!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
I was wondering if the 49ers should try using the 3-4 Elephant Defense they used in the late 80's with Charles Haley. Justin Smith is obviously the teams best pass rusher and allowing him to flop from side to side would allow him to dominate more. I think his strength is attacking, not containing and tying up blockers. If Justin Smith is used as the rush-backer, Balmer can take his place as right end. This would allow Parys Haralson who is not an everydown player to be used on passing downs.
I know this takes away from the element of surprise of who's going to rush the passer Haralson or Lawson, but neither of them is cutting it. Plus, Lawson is a much better coverage-run stopper than pass rusher, so this puts Lawson at his strengths.
Now I'm not saying they should use this the entire game, but maybe a few series here and there.

I think we should just go 4-3 and have Smith and Mc donald on the ends. They are the 2 best pass rushers on the team.
Share 49ersWebzone