There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jerry Rice WR coach please!

After watching Sullivan consistenly make bone headed personnel decision. Today's lack of effort by Morgan/Bruce and the lack of B.Jones playing time as well as Crabtree's arrival I'm calling for the organzation to reach out to the GOAT and beg him to become our WR's coach. This guy could show them how he did it, right down to the last detail, his work ethic, route running unbelievable hands etc. Comeon Rice re-join the 9er family!

[ Edited by matt49er on Oct 11, 2009 at 23:03:53 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Just because someone was a great player doesn't always mean hes going to be a good coach.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Just because someone was a great player doesn't always mean hes going to be a good coach.

We all know stewart didn't coach TO or Stokes...it was Jerry back then teaching those kids how to play the game. A guy like Jerry has all the tricks, knows how to run all of the routs and how to help and protect his QB. These are things he could teach because he did them all as the GOAT.

he works with WR's in the offseason he and Chris Carter do. He was such a great route runner without great speed and had great technique all teachable things. With that said he's a legend and I can't count the # of times Sullivan has been critized around here.
it is true that not all great players make great coaches, but maybe he could be a paid staff consultant. For some reason, i believe our wr and te corps could learn a lot from him in preparation and gameday performance
LOL i'm as big a Rice fan as anyone.....he's my favorite player of all time, but how come the best players never make the best coaches? Rice has a lot of other interests as well. He knows his stuff without question and imo is the best football player of all time, but why isn't Jim Brown a running back coach or Montana a qb coach or Lott a DB coach or Lawrence Taylor a coach. It's because its not that simple and coaching takes up a freaking lot of time. His kid's just starting college and he wants to watch him play. He's also been in some movies and such.......i'd love to see it happen, but it won't.
  • king32
  • Info N/A
The GOAT helped Desean Jackson before last year's draft. Jackson's looking real good right now. With that being said, whatever you want to make of Isaac Bruce's diminished physical skills, he still knows the position inside-out, and can convey his knowledge to the other receivers. Coaching or a lack thereof may not be the real issue.

[ Edited by king32 on Oct 11, 2009 at 23:13:44 ]
Originally posted by king32:
The GOAT helped Desean Jackson before last year's draft. Jackson's looking real good right now. With that being said, whatever you want to make of Isaac Bruce's diminished physical skills, he still knows the position inside-out. Coaching or a lack thereof may not be the real issue.

The reason he helped Jackson is because Jackson is a client with Eddie Debartolo Sports Management and Eddie D asked him to work with Jackson. Rice didn't do it on his own.
  • king32
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by king32:
The GOAT helped Desean Jackson before last year's draft. Jackson's looking real good right now. With that being said, whatever you want to make of Isaac Bruce's diminished physical skills, he still knows the position inside-out. Coaching or a lack thereof may not be the real issue.

The reason he helped Jackson is because Jackson is a client with Eddie Debartolo Sports Management and Eddie D asked him to work with Jackson. Rice didn't do it on his own.

I definitely agree that being a superstar at your position doesn't necessarily mean you can coach it professionally. Just saying that if Rice were pressed into such a situation, he's had success. But I also agree it'll never happen, at least not in the near future.
I wish they would just fire Jerry Sullivan! I've been saying that for the last few years now. What has he done for us...What has he proven? NOTHING!

You need more than knowledge about the position to become a successful coach.

You have to be good at communicating and you have to be willing to sacrifice the time away from family and friends. This is all in addition to a host of other requirements.

Why don't you think Joe Montana is a coach?

-9fA

This.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by matt49er:
After watching Sullivan consistenly make bone headed personnel decision. Today's lack of effort by Morgan/Bruce and the lack of B.Jones playing time as well as Crabtree's arrival I'm calling for the organzation to reach out to the GOAT and beg him to become our WR's coach. This guy could show them how he did it, right down to the last detail, his work ethic, route running unbelievable hands etc. Comeon Rice re-join the 9er family!

Automatically blaming Sully for this ? Who is to say that it was not Raye or Sing's decision to not give Jones more snaps ? Last I checked they have more say on personnel decisions than Sully does and if you want to discuss Sully then use the search function as there is a thread already discussing that very subject.