There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Singletary have given Alex Smith a shot vs. Falcons?

• dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by verb1der:
I've been misunderstood, I was only talking about yesterday's game. I was never calling for Smith after the bye-week.

Nor should any fan, just in my opinion.

As for playing him late, yesterday - I would have preferred Davis.

But as a permanent substitute, if Hill goes down - then I say, Smith. And let's see if there's anything to this guy. And Hill may go down, though perhaps Wragge instead of Rachel lessens the chance?
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by brandonjg:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by E-49er:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT IN ALEX SMITH!!!! look at these stats.... 15/38 198yds and 1 int

you throw 38 times and you cant even get up to 200 yards or at least a TD.. sad..

the bottom line is.... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!

Stats similar to jamarcus russel
ouch, he went there.

I was screaming from the start of the 3rd to put smith in, i really hope that is the surprise change we have after the bye week. Smith is ready.

You want to gamble another season on Smith? No thanks I would rather go with Hill he has proven he can win games and won't do near as much stupid stuff as Smith. I just thought maybe in this game we should have gotten Hill out of there and given Alex a shot.

The last team Smith quarterbacked for a full season over-achieved at 7-9. That was before the Niners had Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Nate Clements, Vernon Davis. Then the next season they started out 2-1 with Smith. Then he got hurt. What season have the Niners ever gambled away with Smith? His rookie season? Do you remember how bad that team was?
Originally posted by BHulman:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT IN ALEX SMITH!!!! look at these stats.... 15/38 198yds and 1 int

you throw 38 times and you cant even get up to 200 yards or at least a TD.. sad..

ouch, he went there.

I was screaming from the start of the 3rd to put smith in, i really hope that is the surprise change we have after the bye week. Smith is ready.

You want to gamble another season on Smith? No thanks I would rather go with Hill he has proven he can win games and won't do near as much stupid stuff as Smith. I just thought maybe in this game we should have gotten Hill out of there and given Alex a shot.

The last team Smith quarterbacked for a full season over-achieved at 7-9. That was before the Niners had Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Nate Clements, Vernon Davis. Then the next season they started out 2-1 with Smith. Then he got hurt. What season have the Niners ever gambled away with Smith? His rookie season? Do you remember how bad that team was?

I understand that Smith was showing promise I do. Point is the guy is in his 5th year and has didn't even win the competiton against Hill. I think Smith needs to be given more time before he trys to run yet another offense (5th OC in 5 years) his college coach said it best that Alex is only effective when he has 100% grasp on the offense. With his injuries/other circumstances that have stunted his development (mishandled injury, being thrown into the fire as a rookie) I believe we need to handle Smith as if he was in his 2nd or 3rd year and give him some time then give him another shot. I'm not saying give up on him I'm glad we signed him to a 2 year deal I would love for the kid to prove he was worth the #1 overall pick but I do not feel like we need to panic now and change QB's after our 1st bad game, especially given the fact we are 1st in the NFC West.
Originally posted by BHulman:

ouch, he went there.

I understand that Smith was showing promise I do. Point is the guy is in his 5th year and has didn't even win the competiton against Hill. I think Smith needs to be given more time before he trys to run yet another offense (5th OC in 5 years) his college coach said it best that Alex is only effective when he has 100% grasp on the offense. With his injuries/other circumstances that have stunted his development (mishandled injury, being thrown into the fire as a rookie) I believe we need to handle Smith as if he was in his 2nd or 3rd year and give him some time then give him another shot. I'm not saying give up on him I'm glad we signed him to a 2 year deal I would love for the kid to prove he was worth the #1 overall pick but I do not feel like we need to panic now and change QB's after our 1st bad game, especially given the fact we are 1st in the NFC West.

When you put it that way, I agree with you.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by crzy:
What exactly would putting Alex Smith in the game have accomplished?

A) There is no way we would have been able to come back even if Peyton Manning was in at QB

B) Putting in Alex Smith starts a QB controversy, and with all the issues that we have on both sides of the ball....how does dividing the team make us better

C) Alex Smith is worse than Shaun Hill. If people can't see that after 5 years...then I don't even know what to say.

A) It's not a thing about coming back, it is a thing to send a message to the team!

B) If Steve Young can be benched during a game, then so can Shaun Hill!!!!

C) Whether he is worse or not, your missing the point

Alex has never had a great offense to work with (Barlow, Lloyd)
I think coach Sing did the right thing yesterday. I say give Hill another game with better protection and if he messes up bye bye.
Damn, why did Trent Dilfer go!?

Correction once again. THIS IS THE 5TH BAD GAME FOR THIS OFFENSE. Hill has been as bad or worse than anyone on the offense. Chilo Rachal included.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home