LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Should Singletary have given Alex Smith a shot vs. Falcons?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • brandonjg
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by matt49er:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT IN ALEX SMITH!!!! look at these stats.... 15/38 198yds and 1 int

you throw 38 times and you cant even get up to 200 yards or at least a TD.. sad..

the bottom line is.... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!

Stats similar to jamarcus russel
Originally posted by brandonjg:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT IN ALEX SMITH!!!! look at these stats.... 15/38 198yds and 1 int

you throw 38 times and you cant even get up to 200 yards or at least a TD.. sad..

ouch, he went there.

I was screaming from the start of the 3rd to put smith in, i really hope that is the surprise change we have after the bye week. Smith is ready.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

ouch, he went there.

I was screaming from the start of the 3rd to put smith in, i really hope that is the surprise change we have after the bye week. Smith is ready.

You want to gamble another season on Smith? No thanks I would rather go with Hill he has proven he can win games and won't do near as much stupid stuff as Smith. I just thought maybe in this game we should have gotten Hill out of there and given Alex a shot.

ouch, he went there.

You want to gamble another season on Smith? No thanks I would rather go with Hill he has proven he can win games and won't do near as much stupid stuff as Smith. I just thought maybe in this game we should have gotten Hill out of there and given Alex a shot.

The game was out of reach by the 3rd quarter, I believe the Niners should have let Smith play to change "something", because Hill obviously wasn't cuttin it. I mean...what else did they have to lose? Smith could NOT have done any worse in 1 measly quarter.

ouch, he went there.

All he has proven is that for the most part he won't loose games - there is a big difference between that and winning games - Alex has WAY more talent than Hill and frankly alot more upside - Hill is a very very poor man's Trent Dilfer / Kyle Orton or Chad Pennington - actually he can be compared to those 3 if you take away 50 percent of their talent - and all 3 of them could at least manage an audible at the line of scrimmage to handle a pass rush or Run Blitz which Hill just can't do...
Hill may be bad but Smith is worse! Cut Smith to make room for Garcia, with out an offensive line we need a "chuck and duck" QB!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Hill may be bad but Smith is worse! Cut Smith to make room for Garcia, with out an offensive line we need a "chuck and duck" QB!

My response comes straight from the Stray Cats:

We're lock this thread, lock it inside out
We're gonna lock this thread, make 'm scream and shout
Let's lock, lock, lock man lock, lock
We're gonna lock till we pop, We're gonna lock till we drop
We're gonna lock this thread, lock it inside out
Originally posted by billbird2111:
My response comes straight from the Stray Cats:

We're lock this thread, lock it inside out
We're gonna lock this thread, make 'm scream and shout
Let's lock, lock, lock man lock, lock
We're gonna lock till we pop, We're gonna lock till we drop
We're gonna lock this thread, lock it inside out

Why lock the thread? I swear some of you just like to whine about EVERYTHING. There is no reason to lock a thread that is valid and has an active discussion going on.

• kem99
  • Veteran
It seems clear that Singletary is not going to yank Hill and start a QB controversy unless he believes the problem lies with the QB AND it continues through a couple of games. Based on his comments, Singletary seems to think the main problem is with the OL and that Hill's struggles are because he is under constant pressure and they're in 3rd and longs because they cannot run the ball consistently on 1st and 2nd downs, both of which are legitimate issues.

With that said, if they come out of the bye with Gore healthy, lose to the Texans and Colts badly and are 3-4 after losing 3 straight and 4 of 5, then we may see Smith.
Everyone saying Smith is worse is basing this off of two and 1/4 seasons. Not one person on this board disagrees that he was thrown into the fire too soon, in his rookie year. His second year, he improved leaps and bounds and actually showed flashes of being a playmaker. In his third, he didnt look bad in the first two games under Hostler, and then came the injury.

How can anyone say that we have seen all this kid has to offer? I dont think anyone here that wants to see him play is saying he is great. I may be speaking for myself, but I think he deserves another shot.
Originally posted by verb1der:

ouch, he went there.

The game was out of reach by the 3rd quarter, I believe the Niners should have let Smith play to change "something", because Hill obviously wasn't cuttin it. I mean...what else did they have to lose? Smith could NOT have done any worse in 1 measly quarter.

that's not what i was referring to, im fine with the notion that he should have played vs Atl but you are calling for Smith after the bye week that i do not agree with.
Again. Really like Smith, but I'd have to see Hill play this bad for a second consecutive game to want to make a change. You give the player a chance to rebound, yanking him so soon not only doesn't make sense, it is completely unfair. Even the best QBs have terrible games.

Giving Hill a chance to rebound over the next game or two is the same courtesy I'd give to Smith or ANY of our other QBs. Yes, he played awful, but seeing how he responds is what is important. You always want to give them at least a small chance to turn it around. If he doesn't? Then put in Smith.
Originally posted by verb1der:

ouch, he went there.

that's not what i was referring to, im fine with the notion that he should have played vs Atl but you are calling for Smith after the bye week that i do not agree with.

I've been misunderstood, I was only talking about yesterday's game. I was never calling for Smith after the bye-week. So we are in agreement.
Share 49ersWebzone