There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Singletary have given Alex Smith a shot vs. Falcons?

Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by matt49er:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

As we should. If he doesnt get hurt, then i say maybe Sing should stick with him, because if he sucks this season, at least we can say he played the entire season, and proved he's only as good as a backup. Or in the same note, he maybe be completely different, and show a strong arm for the long ball after the bye, and show a little stevie young in him. Like they said when me and my son were watching Angels in The Outfield, "It can happen"
id love to see nate davis play
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

As we should. If he doesnt get hurt, then i say maybe Sing should stick with him, because if he sucks this season, at least we can say he played the entire season, and proved he's only as good as a backup. Or in the same note, he maybe be completely different, and show a strong arm for the long ball after the bye, and show a little stevie young in him. Like they said when me and my son were watching Angels in The Outfield, "It can happen"

I don't think it would have been a mixed message - Young was sat in 94 - and we won the Superbowl - just make it clear Hill is the starter for the next week.
Originally posted by rxrunner:

Honestly, I'm sure he's probably not ready, but so would I.

Davis has a live arm, he seems fairly accurate AND, like Hill, he seems to be a gamer.

I think with solid defensive play and Frank Gore in the backfield he wouldn't do much worse. We have a conservative game plan anyway... at least he CAN make all of the throws (unlike Hill).

8-8 with Hill as starter...

No we are trying to build up Alex's confidence to see if he can be salvaged, Alex would have been eaten alive!

So the answer to your question is this "Fu%k NO!

With the way the line is playing....whats the point? You can have "the greatest QB ever" as your QB and it wouldn't make a difference.

Its more to it than the changing the QB.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erluv415:

With the way the line is playing....whats the point? You can have "the greatest QB ever" as your QB and it wouldn't make a difference.

Thats not true. Steve Young had plenty of bad O lines and he always played good. Big Ben has had one of the worst O lines in the game the last year and a half and he puts up numbers and wins, even though he gets hit a lot.

Aaron Rogers has a bad O lin also, but he gets rid of the ball quick and outs up good numbers.

[ Edited by pd24 on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:58:13 ]
i don't think it would've matter who was our qb the o-line was complete crap!
Originally posted by pd24:

Thats not true. Steve Young had plenty of bad O lines and he always played good. Big Ben has had one of the worst O lines in the game the last year and a half and he puts up numbers and wins, even though he gets hit a lot.

Aaron Rogers has a bad O lin also, but he gets rid of the ball quick and outs up good numbers.

True but they all had WR's and backs that can make plays. Gore is out, and Niners Wr's stink point blank. if you can't beat the Falcons secondary than it's a clear indication that you aren't that talented.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by pd24:

True but they all had WR's and backs that can make plays. Gore is out, and Niners Wr's stink point blank. if you can't beat the Falcons secondary than it's a clear indication that you aren't that talented.

I just re-watched the games, the receivers were getting open way more than Hill was throwing to them, the o line was the main problem, but Hill is too quick to check down to the dump off even when it is third and long.

Disagree,if the offense continues on its current path Sing will make a change IMO.He did it before he'll do it again.
Originally posted by Super5:
Why put Alex Smith in there? Just because he's the 2nd string QB doesn't mean we don't know what he brings to the table. If Hill was stinking it up I am almost 100% positive Smith would do the same or worse.

I wouldn't have been opposed to seeing Nate Davis, though, because we really don't know what we have in him. I think it was a good time to let him get a little playing experience. Just call some safe passes and let him get used to playing in a real game. We weren't coming back anyway.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Oct 12, 2009 at 14:01:26 ]
It wouldn't have made any difference imo. And I am not saying that as a knock against Smith.

If they made the switch, it would just have been Smith instead of Hill running for his life with no blocking & nobody getting open.