LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Should Singletary have given Alex Smith a shot vs. Falcons?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by crzy:
What exactly would putting Alex Smith in the game have accomplished?

A) There is no way we would have been able to come back even if Peyton Manning was in at QB

B) Putting in Alex Smith starts a QB controversy, and with all the issues that we have on both sides of the ball....how does dividing the team make us better

C) Alex Smith is worse than Shaun Hill. If people can't see that after 5 years...then I don't even know what to say.

Worse? You can't get much worse than 38 completions for UNDER 200 yds. with NO TD and an INT.

*Personal attack on Smith, in 3...2... wait for it... 1...

~Ceadder

Yawn.

Go look back at Alex Smith game logs from 2005 to 2009 and get back to me.

• GORO
  • Veteran
only good thing about this game, was it was more experience for Jimmy Raye. he had no choice but to throw the ball. This is a game that he can learn from and maybe we can start to take what defense's give us rather than run for two yds on first down every game.

A) There is no way we would have been able to come back even if Peyton Manning was in at QB

B) Putting in Alex Smith starts a QB controversy, and with all the issues that we have on both sides of the ball....how does dividing the team make us better

C) Alex Smith is worse than Shaun Hill. If people can't see that after 5 years...then I don't even know what to say.

Worse? You can't get much worse than 38 completions for UNDER 200 yds. with NO TD and an INT.

~Ceadder

Yawn.

Can't change the past...Hill stunk THIS game. I wouldn't have complained if Alex came in for the 4th quarter. Why not. We weren't coming back, Hill was having a bad game. He's human, it'll happen again. I don't think it would have created a contraversy. People would be watching, seeing it's a blow out, seeing how Hill's playing, and almost expect the backup to get some time in. Vince Young came in last night for Collins and I don't think there's a contraversy there. And like someone else said, if Steve Young can be benched, so can Hill.
forget that it is shaun hill and alex smith---isnt it wise to get your backup qb some playing time, when you can do so, in case you need to play him later on

shaun hill got no benefits from playing the 4th quarter of a blowout game....alex smith may have got some of the rust off from not playing for almost 2 years in a regular season game, which may benefit niners if they have to play him later on
Just another poor coaching call. But I think he didnt because if Smith throws 2 TDs in the fourth then he would of had real issues this week. I think pride blinded Singletary
We lost yest due to the 45 points allowed, not because we couldn't score 50 points!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersking:
We lost yest due to the 45 points allowed, not because we couldn't score 50 points!

True, but sometimes giving up 45 points is the offense's fault.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

~Ceadder

Yawn.

Can't change the past...Hill stunk THIS game. I wouldn't have complained if Alex came in for the 4th quarter. Why not. We weren't coming back, Hill was having a bad game. He's human, it'll happen again. I don't think it would have created a contraversy. People would be watching, seeing it's a blow out, seeing how Hill's playing, and almost expect the backup to get some time in. Vince Young came in last night for Collins and I don't think there's a contraversy there. And like someone else said, if Steve Young can be benched, so can Hill.

Exactly. And the hypocrisy and double standards on this board is nauseating. If Smith played like this people would be clamoring after half time. But that's neither here nor there.

It wouldn't have been a big deal. Young got benched the year we went to the fcking super bowl for crying out loud. And guess what? That was the turning pt that season. It lit a fire under young and we dominated. It was against the eagles I think and we lost 40-8.

So then I guess Alex Smith gets a pass on all those blowout losses we suffered in 2006.

Lol cmon.
only for mop up duty.

• BobS
  • Veteran
If a game is out of reach you need to get the backups in to get them game experience, so they are ready when they are called on in a crucial situations. All of them, quarterback included. Also no reason to risk a starter's health when the game is out of reach, backups should have been in the whole 2nd half.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
A bunch of those routes were complete garbage. It doesn't matter who is at QB when you call a game like that. Raye sucks. Singletary needs an OC that will push his comfort zone with the play calling.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

~Ceadder

Yawn.

Exactly. And the hypocrisy and double standards on this board is nauseating. If Smith played like this people would be clamoring after half time. But that's neither here nor there.

It wouldn't have been a big deal. Young got benched the year we went to the fcking super bowl for crying out loud. And guess what? That was the turning pt that season. It lit a fire under young and we dominated. It was against the eagles I think and we lost 40-8.

The only problem with this example:

Seifert > Singletary
Rhodes> Manusky
Shanahan > Raye
Young > Hill
Rice > Bruce
Taylor > Morgan
Jones > Davis
Deion > Nate
E. Davis > Spencer
McDonald > Lewis
Hanks > Goldson
BY > Soap
Plummer > Spikes
Jackson > J. Smith
Woodall > Lawson
Deese > Rachal
Barton > Snyder
Oates > Heittmann
Sapolu > Bass
Wallace > Staley

[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:27:46 ]

~Ceadder

Yawn.

Lame. he didn't play in 08 and has not in 09 was a rookie on a pathetic team in 05, played hurt in 5 of 7 games in 07 after Nowin tried to make it look like he wasn't hurt.

In 06 when healthy and not a rookie he did just fine for a below average team.
At least he can throw the ball more than ten yards. Hill has no arm and never will this is why he road the Pine for his whole career until he came hear. Our recievers have 0 confidence that he can get the ball to them on most routes. If he does you must be prepared to catch what looks like a punt. Plain and simple Hill sucks always has always will. Smith may not be any better but I for one feel better when the ball doesn't have to have a hang time counter in the corner when it is thrown. Wake up if people really want Hill as the man then get used to average.
Originally posted by B650:

True, but sometimes giving up 45 points is the offense's fault.

Yeah... when you can't sustain drives and you go 3 and out more than any other team when the defense finally throws up a stinker... yeah, we're gonna be screwed.

It's not Hill's fault he's limited... but it's not the defenses fault that he can't sustain a drive or convert a F***ing 3rd down.

As long as Hill is the starter, I don't see us doing better than 8-8. I'm not saying Smith is the answer but Hill isn't either.

Share 49ersWebzone