There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Singletary have given Alex Smith a shot vs. Falcons?

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
The only reason I wanted to bench Hill was because I felt like someone needed to be punished for this horrible play on the field. To make the statement hit hard, Singletary could have benched Hill for the entire second half and given the ball to Smith. Hill would still be our starter, but it'd just go to show the team that you can't f**k around, this is the NFL and even if we lose, we expect you to GO HARD ALL GAME.

If Punishment was an objective he should have benched Clements, Willis and the rest of the D leaders.
Originally posted by ION2814:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by matt49er:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT IN ALEX SMITH!!!! look at these stats.... 15/38 198yds and 1 int

you throw 38 times and you cant even get up to 200 yards or at least a TD.. sad..

the bottom line is.... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!

And to think Morgan's Big catch that had a butt load of YAC added to those numbers.

What has Alex shown in the past 3 years to make you think he would have been able to bring them back? I don't cAre who is back there so long as the position is productive and right now Alex's decision making is a huge question mark from what we saw in preseason. Would I like Alex to "get it" and turn into a good starter, sure. Hill obviously has not been productive either but my guess is that Singletary views Alex as a huge question mark and will not make a change unless he starts turning the ball over bad like JTO style or gets hurt.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Hill needed to live through this game by himself.

This was his offense, and he (and teammates) put out a massive pile of s**t.

Putting Smith in accomplishes nothing, except more "we have no QB" rhetoric.
How many more years does Smith have left with the team? At this point if the team gets stupid in another game again, I would rather see Davis replace Hill. It cant hurt.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
How many more years does Smith have left with the team? At this point if the team gets stupid in another game again, I would rather see Davis replace Hill. It cant hurt.

It could ruin his development. Football is as much about psychology as it is the physical side of the game.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Hill needed to live through this game by himself.

This was his offense, and he (and teammates) put out a massive pile of s**t.

Putting Smith in accomplishes nothing, except more "we have no QB" rhetoric.

Hill has all the heart in the world but he should have been pulled today. To hell with "it was Sean Hill's game to lose". At some point, you have to realize a players limitations if you want to WIN. Assuming of course we need to give the QB more protection/time, even with time Hill is simply not built to take a game on his shoulders (from such a big deficit especially). Today he KNEW had to bring his team back with his ARM and he had no chance (even with his WRs slacking on some of the routes). This is why Hill got so frustrated with himself during the game. He just doesn't have the arm strength to burn you, and therefore he poses no threat to the opposing secondary. This was painfully clear to us all today. Hill was totally out of his comfort zone. And this was the only reason I was hoping that we saw Smith or Nate in the 4th. It would have AT LEAST made the secondary more cautious--and it couldnt have made us any worse for the ware. We got blown out anyways.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

The epitome of preseason would have to go to Glen Coffee, pre-season rushing leader.

-9fA
I guess maybe I am the only one , but at the point where Hill was getting so very emotionally overcharged out there on the field I thought Singletary should have pulled him and inserted Smith. He seemed to be too far out of control IMHO.
Originally posted by Method:
The only reason I wanted to bench Hill was because I felt like someone needed to be punished for this horrible play on the field. To make the statement hit hard, Singletary could have benched Hill for the entire second half and given the ball to Smith. Hill would still be our starter, but it'd just go to show the team that you can't f**k around, this is the NFL and even if we lose, we expect you to GO HARD ALL GAME.

Do you suggest we punish the hardest worker on offense so the other guys would play harder?
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I guess maybe I am the only one , but at the point where Hill was getting so very emotionally overcharged out there on the field I thought Singletary should have pulled him and inserted Smith. He seemed to be too far out of control IMHO.

It's part of a learning curve and smith wouldn't have lead a record breaking comeback so let him try to salvage anything he can.
Wow. A QB controversy over two guys who are backups, at best. And you wonder what's wrong with this team.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Wow. A QB controversy over two guys who are backups, at best. And you wonder what's wrong with this team.

Nobodies wondering. It has never been a secret around here
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

It's part of a learning curve and smith wouldn't have lead a record breaking comeback so let him try to salvage anything he can.

I think that Singletary should have sent a message that if you lose your composure out on the field ------ then come sit on the bench until the next game.
Originally posted by crzy:
What exactly would putting Alex Smith in the game have accomplished?

A) There is no way we would have been able to come back even if Peyton Manning was in at QB

B) Putting in Alex Smith starts a QB controversy, and with all the issues that we have on both sides of the ball....how does dividing the team make us better

C) Alex Smith is worse than Shaun Hill. If people can't see that after 5 years...then I don't even know what to say.

Worse? You can't get much worse than 38 completions for UNDER 200 yds. with NO TD and an INT.

*Personal attack on Smith, in 3...2... wait for it... 1...

~Ceadder
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

Pretty simple actually. The Backup is better than the Backup on the field.

That's what's wrong. Only people are too F'N stubborn to admit that they might possibly be wrong. And this goes on both sides of the argument at times.

~Ceadder