There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Singletary have given Alex Smith a shot vs. Falcons?

Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by matt49er:
The announcers were talking about it so I thought I would see what the zone's feelings are on the subject. I say no, the whole team sucked, stick by your guy Hill.

No. It would have sent a mixed message to the team going into the bye. they will live and die with Hill at QB unless he gets hurt.

THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT IN ALEX SMITH!!!! look at these stats.... 15/38 198yds and 1 int

you throw 38 times and you cant even get up to 200 yards or at least a TD.. sad..

the bottom line is.... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!

And to think Morgan's Big catch that had a butt load of YAC added to those numbers.
Originally posted by pigskin:

A) The message: Hill is not a problem

B) Sing said Hill needs all the reps he can get.

C) Point is Smith can play only if Hill's injured

A) I agree. Hill played a great game. VD was the reason all those short passes were off the mark. Plus the fact Hill had so many 3 and outs was on the OL, WR's, Offensive coordinators, Singletary, Jed York, and else everyone on the franchise.

B) Disagreed. Hill needs less reps during the week so he can conserve Strength for his arm.

C) Agreed. No matter how bad Hill plays, he's still our QB. Plus, he's clutch!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by crzy:
What exactly would putting Alex Smith in the game have accomplished?

A) There is no way we would have been able to come back even if Peyton Manning was in at QB

B) Putting in Alex Smith starts a QB controversy, and with all the issues that we have on both sides of the ball....how does dividing the team make us better

C) Alex Smith is worse than Shaun Hill. If people can't see that after 5 years...then I don't even know what to say.

A) It's not a thing about coming back, it is a thing to send a message to the team!

B) If Steve Young can be benched during a game, then so can Shaun Hill!!!!

C) Whether he is worse or not, your missing the point

Well then Singletary should have benched the entire offensive line and the entire secondary. Because they are the primary reasons why we lost the game.

If the rest of the team is playing well and your quarterback is what's holding you back from success, then I'd agree with you.

But benching Hill during our complete and utter TOTAL team meltdown would have accomplished nothing.
The announcers just want to see a QB controversy, that's not happening right now.
Benching him would not have been helpful. That said it is sooooo disheartening to be
reminded week in and week out just how untalented we are at QB. Yes this was a team loss but to expect Sean Hill to put this team on his back and win the game is simply a pipe dream. The loss just magnifies this shortcoming.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:

A) I agree. Hill played a great game. VD was the reason all those short passes were off the mark. Plus the fact Hill had so many 3 and outs was on the OL, WR's, Offensive coordinators, Singletary, Jed York, and else everyone on the franchise.

B) Disagreed. Hill needs less reps during the week so he can conserve Strength for his arm.

Are you watching the same game? Hill played a great game? Almost half of his passing yards were due to Josh Morgan breaking a tackle. Seriously, we need to wake up a little. I bet once we get a real QB, all of you will be laughing about how bad Hill really was.
Nate Davis; let the other two sit the rest of that miserable game. Let Davis play for the 4th q.. No QB controversy since he's a rook and we get to see if these is some potential there.

When I looked at Hill's floaters, I think I saw maybe 3 tight spirals. It must be hard to catch those wobbly a$$ 25yrs "deep balls".

No he is not the solution I think but, man, we have to look at options for the future. He's most mobile and maybe could have made a few more plays, even though Hill ran for more than Coffee.. hilarious, if it wasn't so sad.

Now I'm pissed at everyone around me.. The Oline.. gawd auful..
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Nate Davis; let the other two sit the rest of that miserable game. Let Davis play for the 4th q.. No QB controversy since he's a rook and we get to see if these is some potential there.

When I looked at Hill's floaters, I think I saw maybe 3 tight spirals. It must be hard to catch those wobbly a$$ 25yrs "deep balls".

No he is not the solution I think but, man, we have to look at options for the future. He's most mobile and maybe could have made a few more plays, even though Hill ran for more than Coffee.. hilarious, if it wasn't so sad.

Now I'm pissed at everyone around me.. The Oline.. gawd auful..

There was this Falcons fan who came in after the game talking smack at my job wearing a Falcons jersey. I was wearing my 49ers hoodie. I was already pissed off as it was and didn't need no f**king Falcons fans rubbing it in. I asked him how many Super Bowl rings they had. He just laughed and said, "OK, you got me there, but we're a good team now and you guys aren't," or something to that effect. My reaction was, "Get the hell out of here man."

Yep, I'm going to be in a bad mood until our next win, which hopefully will be in 2 weeks.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 11, 2009 at 22:35:49 ]
hill had a jamarcus russell esque type of gm. we wont win any gm when our d is not playing well. our d has bailed out our sorry offense and now the offense cant bail them out. hill does not have the ability to put up pts quickly.
Originally posted by B650:

Are you watching the same game? Hill played a great game? Almost half of his passing yards were due to Josh Morgan breaking a tackle. Seriously, we need to wake up a little. I bet once we get a real QB, all of you will be laughing about how bad Hill really was.

Did you notice the quality of passes Ryan was throwing on a rope, and with touch?? Yes he did have a lot of time, still, the shear quality.

Just, it was so saddening to see the difference. We REALLY have big problems with the QB position right now. Yes the Oline sucks, and play calling really sucks, especially when the WR can't get separation, but..

To see the difference between a Franchise QB and S Hill, was disheartening, to say the least...
  • B650
  • Veteran

Did you notice the quality of passes Ryan was throwing on a rope, and with touch?? Yes he did have a lot of time, still, the shear quality.

Just, it was so saddening to see the difference. We REALLY have big problems with the QB position right now. Yes the Oline sucks, and play calling really sucks, especially when the WR can't get separation, but..

To see the difference between a Franchise QB and S Hill, was disheartening, to say the least...

And did you see how Hill was acting out there? Yanking off his chin strap, acting all mad, showing frustration at his teammates, etc. WTF? Someone get this guy a mirror.

And did you see how Hill was acting out there? Yanking off his chin strap, acting all mad, showing frustration at his teammates, etc. WTF? Someone get this guy a mirror.

He seemed like the only guy who cared on offense.

[ Edited by pigskin on Oct 11, 2009 at 22:59:52 ]

Shaun Hill will never be Matt Ryan, but did you see the difference in offensive line play?

Turner had huge holes to run through and Matt Ryan was barely touched all day in pass protection.

He seemed like the only guy who cared on offense.

True. Hill was absolutely livid after the last sack the Chilio gave up. He must have had 1.4 freaking seconds to make a play, and that is not going to happen, making a play that is.
The only reason I wanted to bench Hill was because I felt like someone needed to be punished for this horrible play on the field. To make the statement hit hard, Singletary could have benched Hill for the entire second half and given the ball to Smith. Hill would still be our starter, but it'd just go to show the team that you can't f**k around, this is the NFL and even if we lose, we expect you to GO HARD ALL GAME.