There are 257 users in the forums

O line Sucks!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Luckily the draft is two rounds deep in quality linemen on both sides of the ball. I say if we get the chance, we draft Berry @ safety, then start on the lines.

Well I hope to f**k that Holmgren is putting his master plan together

Your singletary hate is really laughable, Singletary is the reason that this undetalented team(don't be mistaken we are extremely weak in the roster bc of the Nolan/Erikson dictaorship era) is overachieveing the way it does. Without Singletary we are back in the winless Nolan area. On the sideline today u could see how players react to him and how THEY WANT to win for him. He is still learning but don't be mistaken he is a very good coach and if we don't want him here(which would be crazy) he will be picked up immediately.

Sometimes the truth comes out, and your post is one of those times. I have no doubt that our talent level is not very high and that this team is overachieving right now. It is very obvious the overachieving is due to Sing, and no other reason.

On a side note, yes the hatred is laughable.
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Mex49:
Luckily the draft is two rounds deep in quality linemen on both sides of the ball. I say if we get the chance, we draft Berry @ safety, then start on the lines.

Well I hope to f**k that Holmgren is putting his master plan together

Your singletary hate is really laughable, Singletary is the reason that this undetalented team(don't be mistaken we are extremely weak in the roster bc of the Nolan/Erikson dictaorship era) is overachieveing the way it does. Without Singletary we are back in the winless Nolan area. On the sideline today u could see how players react to him and how THEY WANT to win for him. He is still learning but don't be mistaken he is a very good coach and if we don't want him here(which would be crazy) he will be picked up immediately.

Sometimes the truth comes out, and your post is one of those times. I have no doubt that our talent level is not very high and that this team is overachieving right now. It is very obvious the overachieving is due to Sing, and no other reason.

On a side note, yes the hatred is laughable.

If we can get through this year with overachievers and have a solid draft we should be able to contend for a couple of years.
"For all the 49ers' struggles at guard this season, their offensive line has only three penalties, fewest in the league."--Mike Sando, ESPN NFC West Blog

Well, at least we are doing something right.

Sing is probably trying to motivate rachal to play better with the all of the talk or actually sitting him next week. There must be some extraordinary events taking place in practice because baas is playing the same if not worse than rachal in games. The only difference between the two at this point is that rachal has the ability to push a guy off of the line while baas does not.

Let wragge take over at baas' spot.
Originally posted by fister30:
Sing is probably trying to motivate rachal to play better with the all of the talk or actually sitting him next week. There must be some extraordinary events taking place in practice because baas is playing the same if not worse than rachal in games. The only difference between the two at this point is that rachal has the ability to push a guy off of the line while baas does not.

Actually Chilo is playing much worse. The worst on our line right now. He's letting guys go unblocked straight to the QB.
I really don't get rachal, hw was improving last year. This year, it seems as though every game gets worse... We are giving up pressures and sacks to the atlanta backups and stm louis... Something needs to change.

I was watching 49ers central last night, and they broke down how hill was hurried on almost every pass... Pretty ugly stuff
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Actually Chilo is playing much worse. The worst on our line right now. He's letting guys go unblocked straight to the QB.

Rachal is clearly the worst.....it's all mismatched. IMO heitmann is the best one and he's having a down year. We have no right tackle, our left tackle should be our right tackle, thus we don't have a true top level left tackle either. Both guards such and the depth sucks. People want to defend Staley, but there are about 18 other left tackles you'd have ahead of him. This is the reason the team was hoping a top tier tackle fell to them at the 10th pick last year. The first pick next year has to be o-line.
Originally posted by JDeezy:

Rachal is clearly the worst.....it's all mismatched. IMO heitmann is the best one and he's having a down year. We have no right tackle, our left tackle should be our right tackle, thus we don't have a true top level left tackle either. Both guards such and the depth sucks. People want to defend Staley, but there are about 18 other left tackles you'd have ahead of him. This is the reason the team was hoping a top tier tackle fell to them at the 10th pick last year. The first pick next year has to be o-line.

1) I can't imagine how some people don't see this?

2) Actually I really like Staley and as a pass blocker he is in the upper half of the league. I'm not sure I would put him in that same category as a run blocker.
Our O-line isn't good!? N0 WAI!

2) Actually I really like Staley and as a pass blocker he is in the upper half of the league. I'm not sure I would put him in that same category as a run blocker.

The answer is clear...there are a lot of guys posting on here from California, a lot of them are USC fans, so of course Chilo was the best when we drafted him. You see stuff like this all the time here, guys wanting players just because they are decent and from USC/Cal or some other area college. You hear about east coast bias, well it works the same way out west it seems. There are actually some guys on this site that would argue that Taylor Mays is a better safety then Eric Berry, for example. When anyone that has seen both play would never make such a ridiculous statement, unless they are motivated by SC pride.

The answer is clear...there are a lot of guys posting on here from California, a lot of them are USC fans, so of course Chilo was the best when we drafted him. You see stuff like this all the time here, guys wanting players just because they are decent and from USC/Cal or some other area college. You hear about east coast bias, well it works the same way out west it seems. There are actually some guys on this site that would argue that Taylor Mays is a better safety then Eric Berry, for example. When anyone that has seen both play would never make such a ridiculous statement, unless they are motivated by SC pride.

This.

Excellent post. And yes you do see a lot of this. I see so much SC/CAL love on this site it's nauseating. At least give a fair evaluation of a player when doing an analysis. Not well he played at USC so he is the next big thing... Or other types of drivel you see on the WZ.

To add to this The others Lineman look worse or a little off when they are trying to make up for the guards short comings. I think this is why many here think Heitmann's play is down when it is more the fact that he has to try to help one or both guards. If and when the guard play gets better you will see everyone looking better on the line.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Staley has been playing like crap this year. Chilo is pretty bad too, but he's young so he has an excuse.

this teams line is offensive. why cant they play 4 quarters of good ball wtf?
we bash raye, hill, smith the receivers and ya know what they deserve some of it. but without effective trench play you cant do sh!t consistently. if you know your line is say, hot garbage then you call plays to hide its deficiencies. if the oline is as bad as we think its is then the staff has no choice but to call crappy, boring, run up the middle type of plays because thats all they can handle without showing everybody that they are not good as a unit. why cant we see 8 maybe 12 good quarters from these guys and then maybe MAYBE we will have a decent enough of a sample to grade out grandpa rayes play calling, noodle arm hill or even saint alex......does anybody think that this team would have as many 3 n outs if the line was doing its job on a consistent basis. when is the last time the they were able to put together 4 quarters? somethings gotta give besides the oline on sundays every sunday.... coaching change or talent reevaluation both i dont care. my hope for the future rides on the whether or not they can fix this problem. theyre killing

[ Edited by Allx9er on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:26:18 ]
Originally posted by B650:
Staley has been playing like crap this year. Chilo is pretty bad too, but he's young so he has an excuse.

Staley has never lived up to his 1st round status. He's been above average at times but isn't the great OL pickup the team thought it got.
Share 49ersWebzone