LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

some of you make me laugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Most people knew our defense/special teams carried us through the first 4 games, and when they didnt play at an elite level, we would get f*cked. Our offense is that bad.

If you didnt know how bad our offense was, then you were in denial, but hopefully this game solved that.

But, but, but, we won on the Madden simulation???
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
But we have one of the best QB's in the league, he is CLUTCH!

Clutch at throwing the ball into the ground during clutch time.

Originally posted by calinig4life:
we're 0-2 against playoff teams

I think we're 1-2 against playoff teams. Unless you don't count the Cards who went to the SB last year as a playoff team
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by kingairta:
I remember when the schedule came out. People would have been happy going into the bye 3-2 leading the division.

Not if we knew our offense was going to perform this horribly and the Falcons would come in and beat us in our own house by 35 points. Once up a time we used to beat up on the Falcons. Nowadays, 35-point losses are acceptable apparently. Let's turn the other cheek because in our next game Shaun Hill is going to turn into Bionic Commando, throwing 50 yard out patterns all over the field, Isaac Bruce is going to start playing like he did when he was 25, and Manny Lawson is going to morph into a Lawrence Taylor/Incredible Hulk hybrid. That's the power of the bye week.

We're just used to losing; that's the bottom line. We're so used to losing that we are actually brainwashed into thinking that Shaun Hill is an NFL QB.

There are, however, some reasons for optimism.

A)In our last Super Bowl season, Philadelphia came into our house and beat us 40-8. That was the turning point for our season. Something happened that day though. The great Steve Young was BENCHED. Yes, BENCHED. But, apparently, Shaun Hill is too great to be benched. Why light a fire and show your team that this kind of loss is unacceptable? Nah, that wouldn't be a good idea. Just stick with Hill and let him keep throwing wobbly ducks all over the place, everywhere EXCEPT between the WR's numbers. He misses high. He misses low. He misses behind them. He overthrows them. He throws it when they're blanketed. He throws the ball too late. He throws the ball too early. Let's just say there is a lot of room for improvement at the QB position. You want to see a real QB? Watch the Minnesota and Atlanta games.

B)We play in the NFC West. Enough said.

C)Frank Gore and Michael Crabtree will hopefully provide some sort of spark, although I'm hoping the reason we came out flat wasn't the players being a little ticked off that Crabtree got so much attention and money when they're busting their tails out there. I didn't see the same intensity out there today, and I can't think of any other reason. But, whether that's the case or not, reinforcements are on the way.

D)We have a bunch of 1st-round draft picks next season.

We all knew what kind of offense we have.

This was one game. The upside is we know we can do better.

It didn't have to be that way. I'm pissed that we got rid of Martz, and I'm pissed who we got rid of Martz for. If we had Martz, I bet you we'd be 4-1 right now. Who gives a f--- about rushing the ball. We don't have the roster suited to do this. Gore had a 1,000 yard season under Martz. Faulk had 2,000 combined yards under Martz. The only drawback is Vernon Davis catches a few less catches. Big deal. At least our offense doesn't look this anemic. Watching the Giants for 162 games is bad enough, now another 16 games of this crap? What do we have to do to get some freakin' offense? I mean f---, field a respectable product out there so we can enjoy watching the damn games. Isn't that why WE pay the players?

Maybe I just need a couple days to get over this one.

With the personnel we have we can't throw the ball the way Martz would want. Heck Hill can't even get a three step drop without a defender in his face.

I'm liking the mentality. When given lemons you make lemonade.

Until the Oline starts giving some semblance of pass protection and we have a recieving corp that can get open and a QB who can "thread the needle" we're stuck as a running team.

JT O'Sullivan and even Shaun Hill had some success passing the ball last year. The only player we lost was Bryant Johnson. We can pass the ball, but our system is the problem. We're putting Jason Hill on the bench, letting him watch Isaac Bruce go out and drop pass after pass. At least he's learning from Arnaz Battle, right? Wrong. Battle ain't doing jack either. But, those WRs are getting playing time. On kickoffs, we have a TE who can't cut out there. I can go on, but you get the point. Our coaches are making stupid ass decisions.

You actually think we had success with Just Turn it Over? Hill is on the bench for a reason. Coach has proved he doesn't play "favorites" As for kick coverage I haven't a clue why Rossum isn't out there. Sure he might have lost a step but his hands are still good.

If O'Sullivan could learn to protect the ball more, he'd be 10 times better than Hill. I know it's a big if, but I'm just saying. I have last year's games on film, and trust me, our offense was much different with O'Sullivan at the helm, in terms of moving the ball and scoring. Even Shaun Hill looked good last year. It isn't necessarily the players. I mean, Shaun Hill isn't the next Joe Montana or anything, but he looked much better last year. Same with our OL. That tells me it's the coaches (Raye in particular).

OL sucked last year, the year before that as well. Martz ended up 22nd in points scored...unacceptable, no matter how good it looks how you did.

Bottom line, 4 OC's in four years and none of them have been able to get the offense to work. That tells me it's the player's, not the coaching. If you look at it close enough, you will see it:

McCarthy...no roster talent to work with.
Norv...Some talent, the o-line, particularly the interior with Allen play at a high level. Rookie QB, rookie TE. Harris sucked ass at tackle.
Hostler...way out of his league, regardless of personnel. That boy was just plain out of his league. QB issues. No receiving weapons. The year of D-drop. O line sucked bad. Three QB's end up injured, the starter being put on IR. Pull a QB off the street.
Martz...by the time Martz comes on board, the o-line is not the same o-line at all that is was under McCarthy and Norv. Different personnel across the line. Allen retired, vagina Jennings injured again, New LT in Staley, Sims (a backup at best) at RT and he sucked bad. Didn't maximize the very few best weapons we had worth a s**t....Gore and Davis, due to his scheme. O line sucked bad in pass protection, requiring max protect schemes a lot and even then, they still sucked.

The truth's:

1) The o-line has change significantly personnel wise since McCarthy and Norv, and it has not been good.

2) We have not had a starting QB who wasn''t either:

a) A rookie
b) A backup
c) Playing injured
d) stinking it up with turnover's, particularly at critical times (like red zone, etc)

3) We have not had a recieving corp worth a s**t. No true number one threat.
The offensive line has always been bad to very average for several years. Pass blocking had been a problem for a long time. They had one good year running the ball, but that was with Larry Allen in the lineup and was still a little bit of the Larry Allen left. He didn't have it anymore the following year. I think we have talent on each of the position on the line this year but they need more time to develop. They are still inconsistent.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 12, 2009 at 15:35:04 ]
So does the dismissal of Allen Rossum count as a shake up? Maybe more like a tremour.

Lewis and Ulbrich being out is a pretty big deal, but its not talent driven.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
Even the best of Niner teams gets blown out early once a year...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1994.htm

'94 team lost to the Eagles 40-8...in week 5...to go 3-2. Steve Young goes 11-23 for 99 yards and 2 picks.

Start Grbac!!

I SO thought of this game while listening to the debacle unfold yesterday.

Steve was benched in that game and blew up at George then I believe they won 10 straight.

I was waiting for Sing to do the same at least give Smith some mop up time

That would have been cool
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Even the best of Niner teams gets blown out early once a year...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1994.htm

'94 team lost to the Eagles 40-8...in week 5...to go 3-2. Steve Young goes 11-23 for 99 yards and 2 picks.

Start Grbac!!

I SO thought of this game while listening to the debacle unfold yesterday.

Steve was benched in that game and blew up at George then I believe they won 10 straight.

I was waiting for Sing to do the same at least give Smith some mop up time

That would have been cool

yeah but Hill's not nowhere near like Steve Young though

Share 49ersWebzone