LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by millerb1:
I supported Alex for 3 years. I was patient. But after watching young qbs like Stafford, Ryan and Flacco I have to shake my head and wonder how the 49ers were so unfortunate to wind up with the number 1 pick in the worst draft in decades.

I don't see Alex Smith getting any better.

Never trust a Ute.

Alex hasn't even played for 3 years. He has 19 healthy starts if you throw out his rookie season (which you should in any reasonable evaluation). Even with his rookie season he's only got a grand total of 28. That's not even two seasons.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We have to do something, Hill is stinking it up.

Hill sucks
Oh god please

I wish everyone would stop panicking. Why ask for Smith now? Hill hasn't exactly lit up all year/ Has he? But you Smith sympathizers wouldn't care until we lose. If we win you're just fine with Hill. If we win you don't care how tight his spirals are or how many TD's he throws or his yardage. As soon as we get beat in every categorary it's time to bench Hill.

What a bunch of whiny little girls. You've taken an ass whooping before with Smith at the helm. Remember the 06 and 07 season?
Originally posted by djfullshred:
If they really thought Smith was clearly better than Hill, he would have been named starter despite having a hand injury that would possibly make him miss the first game of the season.

Did you just read that. You think that would happen in the same scenario, on any team, on any planet?

Is it so hard to beleive that two different coaching staffs knew what they were looking at when they thought another guy was better than him two years in a row? You do know they see alot more of what the players abilities are than what we do for three hours once a week in a game during the season.

No, it's not hard to believe. If that was all there was to it. Again we've got details to deal with here.

Last year we have Martz and the fact that Alex's shoulder was still not healed.

This year he has an injury to his throwing hand before a starter is named.

Hill still may have won the job. I think it was about 51% in his favor simply because of what he did last year and what the coaching staff had planned for the offense this season. But we're talking about today. Who should start after the bye week. Hill has been nothing short of horrible for 5 straight games and it's going to come down to, do I want to start the guy that gives me the best chance not the lose, or the best chance to win? There is a difference.
I love this debate, everybody has pretty much said that both suck so which one would you rather we suck with? One with an arm and actual talent that may not yet have been seen or one with serious limitations, weak arm, horrible pass and no ability to carry a team?

It's not like the Young Vrs Montana days when both were awesome and could both be starters on any team.

I'd take Smith over Hill in a heartbeat without any regrets. Win, lose or draw Smith has more ability and ability is what Hill lacks. Smith can make all the throws and Hill can only make the short ones. With Smith in the defense has to stretch for at least decent deep balls, with Hill in the deep ball is almost not happening. If it's a 30 yard pass it hangs in the air turning side to side, wobbling up and down long enough like a punt for a defense to adjust.

Why did we sign Crabtree if we don't want to play guys with actual TALENT. Same should go for our QB. Smith has shown some talent, Hill has shown None...
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Oh god pleaseWhat a bunch of whiny little girls. You've taken an ass whooping before with Smith at the helm. Remember the 06 and 07 season?

Weren't the 9ers 2-1 with Alex at QB before he got hurt? So we had a grand total of ONE "ass whooping" in 07 with Smith at the helm. 37-16 to the Steelers and it was really a lot closer than that (if not for a myriad of dropped passes) if you remember that game as well as I do. Nothing like what happened yesterday.

But is this thread about what happened yesterday, a domination on Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and coaching, or about how horrible Shaun Hill has played for the last 5 games and what is better for this team for the rest of this season and the future.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Oh god pleaseWhat a bunch of whiny little girls. You've taken an ass whooping before with Smith at the helm. Remember the 06 and 07 season?

Weren't the 9ers 2-1 with Alex at QB before he got hurt? So we had a grand total of ONE "ass whooping" in 07 with Smith at the helm. 37-16 to the Steelers and it was really a lot closer than that (if not for a myriad of dropped passes) if you remember that game as well as I do. Nothing like what happened yesterday.

But is this thread about what happened yesterday, a domination on Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and coaching, or about how horrible Shaun Hill has played for the last 5 games and what is better for this team for the rest of this season and the future.

I concur. I haven't seen an ass kicking like we got yesterday since 94 and that year we went on to the Super Bowl. Only difference, we had a QB that gave us a chance to win. Now, we play hoping the defense keeps us in the game as we have a qb that can't win it. He has put together a few decent drives that we scored on to win the game but anybody playing QB in the NFL should be able to do that. What we have in Hill is a managed game and what we have in Alex is more explosive ability that this team needs. I would think that wioth Morgan showing he can get open deep and now with Crabtree that maybe we should put Alex in and take advantage of the deep passing game that we could potentially have. We don't have that with Hill.

Then why bring this up now? Cuz we lost? Hill doesn't play defense or special teams. Or blocks for himself. Smith supporters will jump on the first opportunity to make a case for him to start. We've been down that road before.

No way they give up on Hill yet. RT @leandrosasjr what are chances we get to see what NO. 1 overall pick in 2005 can do against Houston?-Matt Maiocco's Twitter page
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
I supported Alex for 3 years. I was patient. But after watching young qbs like Stafford, Ryan and Flacco I have to shake my head and wonder how the 49ers were so unfortunate to wind up with the number 1 pick in the worst draft in decades.

Never trust a Ute.

Alex hasn't even played for 3 years. He has 19 healthy starts if you throw out his rookie season (which you should in any reasonable evaluation). Even with his rookie season he's only got a grand total of 28. That's not even two seasons.

Stafford? what the heck has he done? And for ryan and flacco, AS's second year w/norv was just as good as their year. And AS did it with alot less talent. The fact is AS is 7-5 over his last healthy starts. Hill deserves to still be the starting QB but he hasn't earned a free season pass. When your 2 te's are your most exlosive offensive weapons, its a problem. When you have a weak armed Qb, it's a problem. I always found it funny when people say you don't need a strong arm to play QB. You don't need a rocket but you need at least an average arm. Hill's passes have no zip which means there are spots on the field the defense doesn't have to defend.
no no no no no

on another note.......i liked seeing alex smith and michael crabtree talking to eachother yesterday..........smith 2 crabtree !

Never trust a Ute.

Should we throw out Matt Ryan's rookie season? Or Joe Flacco's, or Mark Sanchez's? Just curious, I don't know who's to include?
If they really thought Smith was clearly better than Hill, he would have been named starter despite having a hand injury that would possibly make him miss the first game of the season.

Did you just read that. You think that would happen in the same scenario, on any team, on any planet?

Is it so hard to beleive that two different coaching staffs knew what they were looking at when they thought another guy was better than him two years in a row? You do know they see alot more of what the players abilities are than what we do for three hours once a week in a game during the season.

No, it's not hard to believe. If that was all there was to it. Again we've got details to deal with here.

Last year we have Martz and the fact that Alex's shoulder was still not healed.

This year he has an injury to his throwing hand before a starter is named.

Hill still may have won the job. I think it was about 51% in his favor simply because of what he did last year and what the coaching staff had planned for the offense this season. But we're talking about today. Who should start after the bye week. Hill has been nothing short of horrible for 5 straight games and it's going to come down to, do I want to start the guy that gives me the best chance not the lose, or the best chance to win? There is a difference.

If Smith gets in there this year, it is going to be due to Hill really stinking it up for another game or two, or due to injury. The team is not going to pin this terrible game all on Hill, so I highly doubt there is going to be a QB change right now.

And if Smith does get his chance, he will have to play a lot better than Hill did to keep that starting job into the next season. Not just status quo, but something special. Who knows if he really can, but past history makes me think that is unlikely.

I am more intrigued by Nate Davis after this year to see if that situation can develop. I know it was just preseason against backups, but he really looked more like the prototypical QB than Hill or Smith. Obviuosly he impressed the coaches, because they gave him a roster spot, and cut Huard.

Then why bring this up now? Cuz we lost? Hill doesn't play defense or special teams. Or blocks for himself. Smith supporters will jump on the first opportunity to make a case for him to start. We've been down that road before.

No way they give up on Hill yet. RT @leandrosasjr what are chances we get to see what NO. 1 overall pick in 2005 can do against Houston?-Matt Maiocco's Twitter page

I didn't bring it up. If you notice the question has come up in other thread well before yesterday though. This one for instance which was before the Rams game...

But why make the change now? Because Hill has been sh@t for 5 straight games, there is a bye week, and something needs to be done. I'm not a Smith supporter. I'm a 49er supporter. If Hill had shown ANYTHING in FIVE GAMES this season that would be one thing. But he hasn't.
Originally posted by ptw1:

Never trust a Ute.

Stafford? what the heck has he done? And for ryan and flacco, AS's second year w/norv was just as good as their year. And AS did it with alot less talent. The fact is AS is 7-5 over his last healthy starts. Hill deserves to still be the starting QB but he hasn't earned a free season pass. When your 2 te's are your most exlosive offensive weapons, its a problem. When you have a weak armed Qb, it's a problem. I always found it funny when people say you don't need a strong arm to play QB. You don't need a rocket but you need at least an average arm. Hill's passes have no zip which means there are spots on the field the defense doesn't have to defend.

You are absolutey correct. young didn't have a cannon but he could get it out there. Alex can too but Hill, his pass is horrible, worse I have ever seen for anybody in the NFL. I can't think of a worse passer in the big league. Alex could do at least as good as Hill without a doubt. He could do the short passing game if that's what they want but he could also throw deep which is what we need. Why is VD having a good year? It's because Hill cannot throw deep and VD is his best short pass option.
Share 49ersWebzone