There are 240 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (Week 5)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
atlanta had two weeks to prepare and it showed : they outclassed us and revealed our weaknesses
for those who thought our pass rush was better : nope ! our front four couldn't make any pressure on ryan who had all day to throw for 60 minutes
the first time we blitzed i thought was a terrible call and it was not the situation to call it (3rd and five from the falcons 10)
that was the turning point cos just before the offense didnt take advantage of the fumble recovery
falcons game plan on offense was just perfect and i'm afraid our opponents we'll copy it for the rest of the year if we cannot adjust properly
we'll know soon enough cos we have the texans next ... and then the colts
Boy this could get out of control in a hurry
i could see ourselves 3-4 but it will also rest on the offense : the o line play doesn't help and we don't have the 2000 ravens D
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
No heart. We had half a game to play, and they keeled over like b***hes.

I think our D keeled over because our offense couldn't get us back in the game.

Our O got us back in the game when it was 14-10. Then what did the D do? Give up TD after TD. They both stunk it up, but our D is supposedly our team's strength.
This game could kill the confidence of our D. I hope it doesn't, but it wouldn't shock me if it did. We'll find out against Houston.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The root cause of the failure was the defense. Our identity is that we win through defense, and the defense sets the tone. The offense does barely enough to get by.

The huge play given up on the blitz where Clements took a poor angle and got beat to the endzone by some WR I've never heard of....that was the game changer. We never recovered from that one.
Dre Bly is officially on my s**tlist.
Originally posted by kray28:
The root cause of the failure was the defense. Our identity is that we win through defense, and the defense sets the tone. The offense does barely enough to get by.

The huge play given up on the blitz where Clements took a poor angle and got beat to the endzone by some WR I've never heard of....that was the game changer. We never recovered from that one.

You never heard of Roddy White? He only made the pro bowl last year.

I really would have liked to kept Harvey Dahl on the team. Too bad the niners were content to keep and develop Baas.

[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Oct 11, 2009 at 17:25:21 ]
Dre Bly is a PUNK look how good Denvers pass D is without him
Our offense had the ball 23min and change compared to 36min and change. Eventually the D is going to get tired and get beat. The offense is partially to blame for the the D's woes today. If we cant sustain drives and eat up the clock, you can expect teams to score on us.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Absolute joke, total lack of effort.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Our offense had the ball 23min and change compared to 36min and change. Eventually the D is going to get tired and get beat. The offense is partially to blame for the the D's woes today. If we cant sustain drives and eat up the clock, you can expect teams to score on us.

Most of the damage came in a 6 minutes span during the 2nd quarter. No way they should have been gassed at that point. They simply played flat and it showed. Atlanta ripped off so many big plays today it was ridiculous.

No QB pressure, bad coverage and failure to maintain gap control on the line ws the reason we lost. You could blame the coaching but I put this one on the players, same stuff they have been doing all season except for today.

All I am going to say we are drafting a FS and a SS next daft. Mays, Berry or both and with the remainder picks draft all OL and give them a try.
We got beat up front from the very start. Our front 3 did nothing besides get pushed around. Haralson and Lawson got stonewalled all day, Ryan never even thought about being sacked.
Share 49ersWebzone