There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Atl offense or defense scarier?

They've got Ryan an his whole lot of weapons. A decent offensive line a pretty damn good back...actually two of them. So far we've faced RBs who like going in the middle then bouncing outside. and Manny and Parys have done a remarkable job sealing the edges forcing them back in. Thing with Norwood is that they might be more apt to pitch outside right off the bat see if they can catch us napping. Its the big play run that we've desperately gotta watch out for.

In the middle Gonzales is going to be a match up nightmare. Weve got the players to do so but its not what we do best. We play a true team defense with emphasis on the system and less so on the individual. Its why i don't think just Willis or Manny will pull responsibility. I just know we've got kind of a soft middle and on third downs that's what Tony does best.

After seeing Justin Smith manhandle Hutch im telling you this is just the beggining. Brooks might be asked to rush a little more if Manny drops more into coverage. The guy is explosive as hell and i think hell be someone well be talking about a lot down the road.

On defense their DTs and some of their LBs are banged up. we might see a resurgence of the run game. Coffee i think will be ready for a breakout game. I say this because our interior linemen should be looking for a big game ala the Seattle game after roundly being criticized for the opener.

Staleys facing Abraham but i think hell handle him pretty well. after seeing how he took care of Allen im very confident in this kid.

All in all we match up pretty damn well with the Falcons. I'm as confident as i was before the Seattle game for a win. I just think it'll be a fight .

Thoughts? What do you guys think of all the match-ups?

BTW we really need to bring back more analysis posts. Where've you guys gone? Old? MD (Ignoring your omnipresence in posts theyre very very interesting to read)? just to name a few. I dont think i can ever learn enough so hook me up guys.

[ Edited by ruthless49er on Oct 10, 2009 at 16:40:34 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
The defense doesn't scare me. The offense doesn't scare me. The only thing I worry about is Matt Ryan having all day to pass and firing darts all over the field. If we can somehow get to Ryan and disrupt him, this game is in the bag.
Originally posted by B650:
The defense doesn't scare me. The offense doesn't scare me. The only thing I worry about is Matt Ryan having all day to pass and firing darts all over the field. If we can somehow get to Ryan and disrupt him, this game is in the bag.

Yeh im not getting the worried feeling im going to get when we face Manning. Ryan doesnt inspire that kind of fear and with our defense i dont think thatll happen. Still...its way early in the season and If we cant clean up he middle Tony might make us pay
our D is scarier.
Their D sucks but our offense probably sucks more. So I'm scared of their defense because they'll be on the field at the same time as our O.
your thread title grammar is most scarierest

I think if we can get the same pressure as we have been lately and 1) not let Turner get big gainers (like how we played v. AP) and 2) not let matt ryan get into a rhythm by hitting him (ala every QB we've played), then I feel it will put us into a position to win the football game. However, we cannot expect our defense to win the game so lopsidedly like last week so our offense needs to STEP UP!

So, I am more worried about their defense vs. our offense.

PS not to mention -- they are the only team in the NFL without a 30+ yard pass. So, I think our defense will be able to swarm and stonewall their short game.

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Oct 10, 2009 at 16:39:42 ]
Looking within terms of which units need to improve upon each team, we're somewhat evenly matched. -But I think we have the overall momentum edge if our o-line can pick it up this week. Atlanta will be playing desperate since they're already down 2 wins in the NFC South race with the Saints.

Also, I don't buy all this crap about how Gonzo is going to walk all over us in the 10-yard passing game. Almost every TE that has gained 6 yards over us has gotten the s**t knocked out of him by Lawson & Goldson . John Carlson only managed six receptions for 46 yards against us during the Seattle game, and he's becoming one of the most underrated outside threats in the NFL.

And if this game comes down a FG we win, Atlanta's kicker will be facing intermediate trade winds tomorrow, and he hasn't kicked a FG over 40 yards since week 15 of the 2008 season.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
your thread title grammar is most scarierest

I think if we can get the same pressure as we have been lately and 1) not let Turner get big gainers (like how we played v. AP) and 2) not let matt ryan get into a rhythm by hitting him (ala every QB we've played), then I feel it will put us into a position to win the football game. However, we cannot expect our defense to win the game so lopsidedly like last week so our offense needs to STEP UP!

So, I am more worried about their defense vs. our offense.

PS not to mention -- they are the only team in the NFL without a 30+ yard pass. So, I think our defense will be able to swarm and stonewall their short game.

good looking out. yeh i think theyre a team led by offense. if we shut that down ala Cardinals then we should be able to win.
Their offense by a huge margin. Their D sucks on a good day and is down right horrible on bad days.

What worries me about ATL is Matt Ryan. I'm pretty sure we can contain Turner for the most part so it'll come down to Matty-ice making throws. If our blitz doesn't get to him in time, and he makes us pay for bringing extra people, Manusky will tone down the blitzing. Then Ryan will have all day to throw, cause we all know Lawson aint beating any OTs 1 on 1.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Looking within terms of which units need to improve upon each team, we're somewhat evenly matched. -But I think we have the overall momentum edge if our o-line can pick it up this week. Atlanta will be playing desperate since they're already down 2 wins in the NFC South race with the Saints.

Also, I don't buy all this crap about how Gonzo is going to walk all over us in the 10-yard passing game. Almost every TE that has gained 6 yards over us has gotten the s**t knocked out of him by Lawson & Goldson . John Carlson only managed six receptions for 46 yards against us during the Seattle game, and he's becoming one of the most underrated outside threats in the NFL.

And if this game comes down a FG we win, Atlanta's kicker will be facing intermediate trade winds tomorrow, and he hasn't kicked a FG over 40 yards since week 15 of the 2008 season.

Carlson is underrated but Gonz is a Hall of Famer. The guy knows how to get into those soft spots in defenses and exploit them big on third downs. Carlson still a second year player. Add to that Carlson had Seneca Wallace throwing to him. Gonz has Matt Ryan.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Their offense by a huge margin. Their D sucks on a good day and is down right horrible on bad days.

What worries me about ATL is Matt Ryan. I'm pretty sure we can contain Turner for the most part so it'll come down to Matty-ice making throws. If our blitz doesn't get to him in time, and he makes us pay for bringing extra people, Manusky will tone down the blitzing. Then Ryan will have all day to throw, cause we all know Lawson aint beating any OTs 1 on 1.

We should be able to get good pressure. Manny more often than not sets up sacks even if he doesnt get them. His stunts inside help Justin get that free rush. As well as that hes huge in the run game. I think we do need to blitz more. If we hit Ryan a lot then itll help us get those interceptions.
Both of our Os are simular. But or D is out standing. When two teams go against each other with simular offenses but one D will spank the other who wins? I am putting my money on the Niners to win this game.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
Both of our Os are simular. But or D is out standing. When two teams go against each other with simular offenses but one D will spank the other who wins? I am putting my money on the Niners to win this game.

I don't see how our offenses are similar. They have two very good WRs, a good OL, and an excellent QB. Until our OL wakes the hell up and Crabtree gets on the field, Atlanta has the edge.
I don't think it is a matter of their defense being scary but rather our offense lacking the scare factor. They have a talented offense and we have a dominate defense. Either way should be a good game.
Is that a trick question? Their offense outside of Abraham, is not that talented at all, and their 1st rounder is out for the year. Vs. their O which has one of the smartest QB's in the league, one of the greatest TE's of all-time, a big play WR, a Pro Bowl RB, and a soild O-line, and oh yeah that Norwood dude who can take it to the house without a moments notice.