LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Aubrayo franklin "Best nose guard in the league"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
He's playing pretty well this year... sure surprised me. He's much more stout at the POA. That said, he's still not a dominant NT in the league... sorry, just isn't. I'd like to resign him, but only for "non-dominant" NT money.

The Niners are #1 in the entire NFL in the fewest yards per attempt (3.2) and 2nd in fewest yards given up per game( 84.9). By comparison the Vikings (who everyone always raves about being impossible to run against) give up 4.1 yards per carry.

The only way this could happen in a 3-4 defense is if our NT is a dominant player. He doesnt have the name like Vince Wilfolk or Casey Hampton but he is playing at that level right now.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Interesting Franklin is playing well in his contract year!!!

What a tough decision to make. On one hand you have Franklin playing well, on the other, you have free agents in Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork.
Luckily NT's don't cost that much. Pretty sure if we wanted we could get Wilfork and keep Franklin too.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
He's playing pretty well this year... sure surprised me. He's much more stout at the POA. That said, he's still not a dominant NT in the league... sorry, just isn't. I'd like to resign him, but only for "non-dominant" NT money.

The Niners are #1 in the entire NFL in the fewest yards per attempt (3.2) and 2nd in fewest yards given up per game( 84.9). By comparison the Vikings (who everyone always raves about being impossible to run against) give up 4.1 yards per carry.

The only way this could happen in a 3-4 defense is if our NT is a dominant player. He doesnt have the name like Vince Wilfolk or Casey Hampton but he is playing at that level right now.

Yep, and he has been since Singletary took over last year. The guy is a HUGE reason why Willis is always playing on the other side of the LOS.
Wilfork is going to be expensive. very very expensive. I live in CT and the word is the Pats are trying very hard to lock him up. I think Vince will resign before the season is over. That price will set the bar for Hampton and Aubrayo. Hampton is not worth Wilfork money. He is too old. Hampton is probably looking at a 2-3 year deal. Aubrayo is more likely to get money close to Wilfork. If the Pats can't resign Vince, look for them to use the franchise tag.

I would try and resign Aubrayo now. His price is only going to go up. If need be we could always slap the franchise tag on him.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Wilfork is going to be expensive. very very expensive. I live in CT and the word is the Pats are trying very hard to lock him up. I think Vince will resign before the season is over. That price will set the bar for Hampton and Aubrayo. Hampton is not worth Wilfork money. He is too old. Hampton is probably looking at a 2-3 year deal. Aubrayo is more likely to get money close to Wilfork. If the Pats can't resign Vince, look for them to use the franchise tag.

I would try and resign Aubrayo now. His price is only going to go up. If need be we could always slap the franchise tag on him.

You shoot for the best player available...that's not Aubrayo.

I am with you up to the point where you suggest franchising Franklin.

I grant, the guy is looking better and is worthy of his place right now. At last. But please, franchise?!!!
Originally posted by jcs:

so you only go for one player at every position, and if you cant get him, you give up all hope and dont try to pick anyone up?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Originally posted by jcs:

so you only go for one player at every position, and if you cant get him, you give up all hope and dont try to pick anyone up?

Did I say that?

I said you shoot for the best player available...if that's Vince you try to land him...if you can't you move on to #2 option...but Aubrayo isn't even the #2 when you evaluate the talent available. Especially if he goes into F/A looking for a big deal.
Originally posted by 49time:
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
This article was quite a surprise. I knew his teammates had been praising his play for the last year and a half, but its hard to see just how much a NT is contributing with the coverage we get on TV.

That being said, this guy gets absolutely HATED on in Madden 10. I think he's rated 68 or something sh!tty like that. I usually pull him in favor of Sopoaga and move Balmer to end.

Anyway, let hope this guy gets some more coverage and the D gains more recognition and swagger. They're really fun to watch at this point, but you can see they're still growing.

Madden jumped his rating to an 80 today

I had Franklin make the Pro Bowl in the season I just finished today! LOL

Originally posted by Kolohe:

What a tough decision to make. On one hand you have Franklin playing well, on the other, you have free agents in Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork.

What makes this decision even tougher is that we can keep Franklin for a reasonable amount of money, while Hampton and Wilfork will command a boatload of dough.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

What makes this decision even tougher is that we can keep Franklin for a reasonable amount of money, while Hampton and Wilfork will command a boatload of dough.

How much is reasonable? If he wants more than 3-4 mil a year, I think it's too much.
  • dj43

So to help me understand your comment, who are the five best nose tackles in the league - guys who you consider "dominant?"

I kjust hope he isn't pulling a Dana Stubblefield (who's having some considerable legal problems with a former girlfriend, as an aside), and only plays for his contract, and once he signs for bigger money, disappears.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

A strong point in Franklin's favor is that he has a lot fewer games on him than Wilfork or Hampton. Let's remember, Franklin was third-string Baltimore. The only time he saw the field was as a blocker on special teams. It is only since he came to SF that he has been getting any regular PT. So in "playing years," he is only about in his third year...that makes him worth more money than a guy like Wilfork who has been absorbing that pounding every game since he came into the league. Not saying he is better than Wilfork, only that he has a lot fewer miles on him than Wilfork or Hampton.

Also, Franklin has been playing some two-gap technique on a few occasions, and doing it well. So while that isn't his strength, it is something that adds value to his play.
Share 49ersWebzone