There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aubrayo franklin "Best nose guard in the league"

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I have a lot of respect for J. Smith, but that is taking things a bit too far.

There is some serious homerism for a teammate there. I'm glad to see it. Glad that he's playing well enough to even be considered at that level by anyone and glad his teammates think so highly of him and are willing to support him.

However, to say that about him, or similarly if someone were to say that VD was the best TE in the league because of a few good games, is quite a stretch.

Let's beat ONE good team, make the playoffs, have some probowlers, and maybe even be good for more than half a season before we anoint anyone on our team this side of Willis the best ANYTHING in the league.

We have a LONG way to go before we should be making statements like that.

yes, Justin Smith is the homer here.
justin maybe meant to say that Franklins play as of late is the best in the league.

your saying we need to make the playoffs to have the best player of "ANYTHING" in the league.
seriously dude give credit were credit is due.
Originally posted by 49time:
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
This article was quite a surprise. I knew his teammates had been praising his play for the last year and a half, but its hard to see just how much a NT is contributing with the coverage we get on TV.

That being said, this guy gets absolutely HATED on in Madden 10. I think he's rated 68 or something sh!tty like that. I usually pull him in favor of Sopoaga and move Balmer to end.

Anyway, let hope this guy gets some more coverage and the D gains more recognition and swagger. They're really fun to watch at this point, but you can see they're still growing.

Madden jumped his rating to an 80 today

I seriously booted up Madden right after this and Franklin was the MVP of the game. 3 tackles and an int for a td. Guy's got his mojo workin'.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

There is some serious homerism for a teammate there. I'm glad to see it. Glad that he's playing well enough to even be considered at that level by anyone and glad his teammates think so highly of him and are willing to support him.

However, to say that about him, or similarly if someone were to say that VD was the best TE in the league because of a few good games, is quite a stretch.

Let's beat ONE good team, make the playoffs, have some probowlers, and maybe even be good for more than half a season before we anoint anyone on our team this side of Willis the best ANYTHING in the league.

We arent saying anything. Justin Smith said he is, I think he knows better than you.

Teammates do this all the time. I bet if you asked Mushin Muhammed who the best QB in the league was in 2006, he'd tell you that Rex Grossman had to be mentioned in the top 3. They play on the same team together and see the hard work that's put in during practice and on Sundays; they're biased. What matters more is what the other teams' players think.

Uh no not really, no one said Franklin was one of the best NT last year why do you think that is? You act like theres some rule that a guy cant work at his game and become better. It does not matter what other teams think. The best situation in football is to be over looked. Seriously are you just arguing for the sake of arguing because no one ever said Rex Grossman was a top 3 QB and that is in no way similar to this quote by Justin Smith who said his play at NT is among the best this season.
  • B650
  • Veteran

We arent saying anything. Justin Smith said he is, I think he knows better than you.

Teammates do this all the time. I bet if you asked Mushin Muhammed who the best QB in the league was in 2006, he'd tell you that Rex Grossman had to be mentioned in the top 3. They play on the same team together and see the hard work that's put in during practice and on Sundays; they're biased. What matters more is what the other teams' players think.

Uh no not really, no one said Franklin was one of the best NT last year why do you think that is? You act like theres some rule that a guy cant work at his game and become better. It does not matter what other teams think. The best situation in football is to be over looked. Seriously are you just arguing for the sake of arguing because no one ever said Rex Grossman was a top 3 QB and that is in no way similar to this quote by Justin Smith who said his play at NT is among the best this season.

So him improving now makes him the best nose guard in the league, because his teammate said so. OK.

All I'm saying is that teammates have each other's backs. If other teams felt that Franklin was the best nose guard in the league, it would hold a little more weight.
Is this the same guy that was so winded he couldn't get down into a 3 point stance before the snap........
Franklin is playing pretty stout but I still can't believe we passed on Vince Wilfork for Rashaun Woods. He was right there!

So him improving now makes him the best nose guard in the league, because his teammate said so. OK.

All I'm saying is that teammates have each other's backs. If other teams felt that Franklin was the best nose guard in the league, it would hold a little more weight.

Anyone with half a brain knows he meant that he is playing as good as any nose tackle in the league. this isnt madden, there is no consensus best NT in the league, all you can go by is what NT is helping his defense most.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Anyone with half a brain knows he meant that he is playing as good as any nose tackle in the league. this isnt madden, there is no consensus best NT in the league, all you can go by is what NT is helping his defense most.

There isn't a consensus best, but people have a general idea who the top NTs in the league are, and guess what? Franklin isn't on any of those lists, except maybe Justin Smith's. And this is through 5 games by the way. Let's see him keep playing at a high level for an entire season before we crown him as being one of the best NTs in the game.

There isn't a consensus best, but people have a general idea who the top NTs in the league are, and guess what? Franklin isn't on any of those lists, except maybe Justin Smith's. And this is through 5 games by the way. Let's see him keep playing at a high level for an entire season before we crown him as being one of the best NTs in the game.

Ill take Wilfork everyday over Franklin and twice on Sundays.
An important factoid to remember...Franklin's in his FA year. Look around the league...guys in the last year of their current contract just seem to excel...ever notice that? That doesn't take away from his improved play, just something the front office has to consider before they offer him an extension. I still believe we need a real stud at NT...so I'm hoping that's one of the higher draft priorities. Love that kid Suh from Nebraska...he might be within reach if Carolina has a bad season and we get a fairly high pick. He could go either way...as a DE in the 3-4 or bulk up @ 20 lbs and play NT.
he's good but teammates are expected to say good things about eachother...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
An important factoid to remember...Franklin's in his FA year. Look around the league...guys in the last year of their current contract just seem to excel...ever notice that? That doesn't take away from his improved play, just something the front office has to consider before they offer him an extension. I still believe we need a real stud at NT...so I'm hoping that's one of the higher draft priorities. Love that kid Suh from Nebraska...he might be within reach if Carolina has a bad season and we get a fairly high pick. He could go either way...as a DE in the 3-4 or bulk up @ 20 lbs and play NT.

Yeah, it's good Smith is getting him some props but sometimes players say that in hopes it actually becomes true. He has played better in the 1-gap and is much more visible to the fans this year (hence the love) but like I said last week, he was still 16th in the middle against the run and that was BEFORE the Atlanta game. I don't even want to see the stats now. Our whole d-line was dominanted that game, getting shoved back big time and Franklin was a big reason for that. So yes, we do need a prototypical NT still. That hasn't changed, IMHO.
As I said before, Franklin has improved his game this year, but in game 5 vs the Falcons, he looked as lousy as ever. I mean, downright awful. SF has to be very careful when considering a new contract for him. I would not lock this guy up for long, and would not make him an offer as if he was Kris Jenkins or Vince Wilfork. Jay Ratliff got a 5 year, 20 mil a year deal back in 2007, and I wouldn't even offer THAT to Franklin.... unless he plays tremendously well from here on + the latter years of the deal have a low hit on the cap.
  • capsurvivor52
  • Info N/A
Anyone notice Franklin was not even set on our goal line D against the Falcons? They ran right at him. When we need him the most to be stout, he gives up a play like that? Commentators were all over it. Not the type of recognition you wanna hear from the commentators.
Originally posted by capsurvivor52:
Anyone notice Franklin was not even set on our goal line D against the Falcons? They ran right at him. When we need him the most to be stout, he gives up a play like that? Commentators were all over it. Not the type of recognition you wanna hear from the commentators.

I noticed... I notice everything he does on the field. It's the one position that I have openly weeped over for years now. (okay 1 of 2 positions... QB/NT)