LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

High-priced Scout Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith throwing to Michael Crabtree...on the scout team!

A former #1 overall pick throwing to the 'top' receiver in the 2009 NFL draft -- pretending to be another team's offense while the 'real' offense practices.

What a strange, strange situation.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/09/SP871A37HN.DTL

Anyone else feel this is just a bit bizarre?

I know it is temporary (for Crabtree at least) and I'd like to think it is merely evidence of our outstanding offensive talent, but it is clearly more a residual of this team's schisms over the past 6+ years.

Winning, and heading in the right direction, make it all okay.
i don't think its strange at all. He's in no position to fully practice with the team yet.
Something for us to think about in the future!!!!!
we should give our scout team a nickname
Well, when you put it THAT way...
Originally posted by Xestenz:

A former #1 overall pick throwing to the 'top' receiver in the 2009 NFL draft -- pretending to be another team's offense while the 'real' offense practices.

I know it is temporary (for Crabtree at least) and I'd like to think it is merely evidence of our outstanding offensive talent, but it is clearly more a residual of this team's schisms over the past 6+ years.

wow , never thought about it this way , we have a little over 60 Million dollar Scout team ! for the moment !
Originally posted by valrod33:
we should give our scout team a nickname

60 Million dollar scouts !

Get over it
Originally posted by HessianDud:
i don't think its strange at all. He's in no position to fully practice with the team yet.

Sorry if I wasn't clear -- I totally agree that right now Crabtree practicing this way is the logical and smart thing to do.

This isn't meant to bash Smith either, although we seem to have quietly accepted his situation.

My point is that the situation itself is strange to me. What other team in the NFL has a 1st overall pick throwing to the 'best' receiver in the last draft in mid-October, and it isn't in on a Sunday?

If anything, it shows the fortitude of this coaching staff and administration, and the proof of their vision is that we are winning without these guys.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Get over it

Okay -- I'm over it.

wish it was davis throwing to crabs.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

That would be nice. The media mentioned that Nate and Crabs became friends during OTAs. That could be another possibility in our future!!!!!

Hopefully Crabs is what everyone says he is!!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Oct 9, 2009 at 09:37:44 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:

That would be nice. The media mentioned that Nate and Crabs became friends during OTAs. That could be another possibility in our future!!!!!

I'm rooting for a Nate Davis to Michael Crabtree combo in the future!
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Sorry if I wasn't clear -- I totally agree that right now Crabtree practicing this way is the logical and smart thing to do.

This isn't meant to bash Smith either, although we seem to have quietly accepted his situation.

My point is that the situation itself is strange to me. What other team in the NFL has a 1st overall pick throwing to the 'best' receiver in the last draft in mid-October, and it isn't in on a Sunday?

If anything, it shows the fortitude of this coaching staff and administration, and the proof of their vision is that we are winning without these guys.

oh, i gotcha now. yeah, i agree the situation is certainly not ideal, and you make a good point about the fortitude of the coaching staff. one reason why I'm not too worried about Crabtree becoming a distraction or harming the team in some way is that I have a lot of confidence in singletary to put the team first and to get everyone on the same page working for the same goals.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:

I'm rooting for a Nate Davis to Michael Crabtree combo in the future!

Deep deep down.... we all are.
Share 49ersWebzone