There are 180 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This reminds me of...

This 49ers season reminds me a little of the 1981 season, where the team came out of nowhere. Of course, that year the Niners won their first superbowl.

I'm not saying we win it all this year, but it does remind me of that season.
holy s**t we're gonna win the superbowl!
I wasn't born yet when that happened :(
Originally posted by Mospeed:

What are you trying to say, Mospeed?
  • MrTreats
  • Info N/A
This 49ers season reminds me a little of the 1981 season, where the team came out of nowhere. Of course, that year the Niners won their first superbowl.

I'm not saying we win it all this year, but it does remind me of that season.

Agreed... kind of....
It's a little early but I can feel it ------ I didn't see it happening that year just four games into the season. If the Cards could do it last year I can definitely see the possibility of it for us too ------ as long as we do the one thing that Singletary preaches ------ continue to improve each and every week. Our offense in general and the OLine in particular.

And for the fun of it what if those Bungals were to get to the big game ??????

GO 49ERS

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Oct 8, 2009 at 07:18:25 ]
Originally posted by Mospeed:

I was born in 81 so that would be bad ass!!!
If you are looking for a benchmark game to determine whether or not the 49ers have truly arrived (much like the game vs. Dallas in 1981), look to the week 8 game vs. Indy, week 11 vs. Green Bay, or week 15 vs. Philadelphia. If we can come out of those 3 games with a 2-1 record, and pull out a nice 5-2 record vs. the other opponent in that schedule (preferably with 3 of those victories being division wins), then you might have something. It's more important to win those division games and perform well against teams like the Colts, the Packers, and the Eagles because those of the caliber of teams that will be in the playoffs.
Change is definitely in the air. People are taking notice of the niners, but I agree, we have to beat some real contenders before getting our panties all wet.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If you are looking for a benchmark game to determine whether or not the 49ers have truly arrived (much like the game vs. Dallas in 1981), look to the week 8 game vs. Indy, week 11 vs. Green Bay, or week 15 vs. Philadelphia. If we can come out of those 3 games with a 2-1 record, and pull out a nice 5-2 record vs. the other opponent in that schedule (preferably with 3 of those victories being division wins), then you might have something. It's more important to win those division games and perform well against teams like the Colts, the Packers, and the Eagles because those of the caliber of teams that will be in the playoffs.

Completely agree with you! Now unlike other years, I'm very confident that we have a chance to win every game on our schedule, not just compete. This could be something special starting here.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Completely agree with you! Now unlike other years, I'm very confident that we have a chance to win every game on our schedule, not just compete. This could be something special starting here.

how about this week vs atlanta lets not forget they are a good team
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
I'm as happy as the next guy. But we've been down this road before. We're 1-1 against teams that were supposed to be capable of beating us. A win vs. Atlanta heading into the bye week and before a road trip against a prolific offense will be huge.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The 1981 team did come out of nowhere, but Montana was improving and had shown
flashes of brilliance during games in the previous season, he had upside. On the other hand, Shaun Hill who is a serviceable game manager, has no upside, he is what he is.
While Singletary has done great things, he still needs better players in certain areas to
take this team all the way. Unless you have the #1 defense Shaun Hill is not going to share the "worst QB to win a Super Bowl" title with Dilfer and Johnson.