There are 187 users in the forums

QB Situation Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Situation Poll

• TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by boomer49er:
No, the answer doesn't seem to be on the roster, gotta draft him.

May I infer that you selected option #4?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
1st and foremost I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a qb this year.....

for this poll I voted to give Shaun a chance to prove himself over a couple of season....just to see what he can bring us.... I have stated before, if he can play like the way Rich Gannon played for the Raiders, late in his career, I would be ALL for that.

if not I'm fine with Davis as the potential future....

as far as Alex.....I don't think he'll ever over come his inability to read defenses quickly.....but, hey if is going to be around...and, well Shaun struggles, if Alex plays his ass off and earns the starting job, then he should get it.

One thing...

Rich Gannon had an arm. The man could rifle the ball 40-60 yards without even forcing it.

Shaun has to put his @$$ into it just throwing 25-35 yarders.

Please omit the comparison from your repertoire in the future because Hill will NEVER be anything like a Rich Gannon. He BARELY compares to Garcia as it is.

I do NOT believe the hype about the "Weak West", but the fact is that he hasn't played more than one team outside the division. Our division rivals all have losing records. The rest of the league is in much better shape. So it's way TOO early to even suggest that Hill is all that an a bag of Rolled Gold Pretzels.

In 4 games he looked good in ONE and it was against the Pee Wee squad the Rams put on the field. Let's wait to see what he does against a REAL team.

~Ceadder

*Edit* And I didn't vote because none of the options are good enough to satisfy everybody. If I had a gun to my head I may take option 2. But then of course the Hill guy holding the gun to my head would suggest that it's because of man love. Or better yet I'll take the bullet, because man love is EARNED not given away like Halloween candy.*ediT*

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 7, 2009 at 19:14:12 ]
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

for this poll I voted to give Shaun a chance to prove himself over a couple of season....just to see what he can bring us.... I have stated before, if he can play like the way Rich Gannon played for the Raiders, late in his career, I would be ALL for that.

as far as Alex.....I don't think he'll ever over come his inability to read defenses quickly.....but, hey if is going to be around...and, well Shaun struggles, if Alex plays his ass off and earns the starting job, then he should get it.

One thing...

Rich Gannon had an arm. The man could rifle the ball 40-60 yards without even forcing it.

Please omit the comparison from your repertoire in the future because Hill will NEVER be anything like a Rich Gannon. He BARELY compares to Garcia as it is.

I do NOT believe the hype about the "Weak West", but the fact is that he hasn't played more than one team outside the division. Our division rivals all have losing records. The rest of the league is in much better shape. So it's way TOO early to even suggest that Hill is all that an a bag of Rolled Gold Pretzels.

In 4 games he looked good in ONE and it was against the Pee Wee squad the Rams put on the field. Let's wait to see what he does against a REAL team.

~Ceadder

*Edit* And I didn't vote because none of the options are good enough to satisfy everybody. If I had a gun to my head I may take option 2. But then of course the Hill guy holding the gun to my head would suggest that it's because of man love. Or better yet I'll take the bullet, because man love is EARNED not given away like Halloween candy.*ediT*

I tried to construct the choices so that nothing was left out. How would you summarize your opinion of our QB situation more precisely than what is presented in option #2?
You cannot judge a QB on preseason appearances (the game is played very differently and the intensity level is different). You cannot judge a QB on just a few series, or even a few games. Every QB, no matter how good, has his good and bad moments, streaks, whatever. Remember Kyle Orton's putrid preseason performance this year agains the 9ers? It stunk about as bad as it could stink. But look at his regular season play so far. Cutler, Brady and other good QBs have struggled at times this year.

So what's my point? When was the last time we watched Alex Smith play four consecutive regular season games? It was two years and six months ago. Alot has changed. He is older, more mature, and we have better and more experienced WRs and TEs. We do not know what we have in him YET! And we need to find out before we throw him in the trash heap.

I believe that what this kid needs is a coach who coaches his personality. He is naturally too nice and submissive, too cautious and careful. How does Favre have so much success? He is a gambler. Sometimes it is a mistake, but more often it is a dynamic home run. Our coaches need to get Smith in there, tell him to go for it, and do not worry about the occasion mistake. Even Hill is throwing into double coverage sometimes, and it often works out.
If the niners could get a blue chip QB, that would immediatly put them over the top as a serious contendor.... If the niners could draft a QB with one of their first rounders on Bradford or McCoy they need to go for it.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mustangmele:
If the niners could get a blue chip QB, that would immediatly put them over the top as a serious contendor.... If the niners could draft a QB with one of their first rounders on Bradford or McCoy they need to go for it.

Here's an interesting issue. Suppose Bradford comes to be considered the best franchise QB prospect in the last few years, and suppose there is a big drop-off from him to the rest of next year's class.

If he's projected to go in the top 2 or 3, should we consider combining picks to get him?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
My take:

1. Cut Rossum and Spurlock, frees up two roster spots. (Crabtree has one open spot)

2. Pick up Brian Brohm off Green Bay's practice squad.

3. keep 4 QB's this year.

4. Cut our losses with Alex Smith.

5. Develop Nate Davis and Brian Brohm for the future, a veteran can always be picked up.

Dude this would be awesome. I've wanted Brohm since he came out. I know he didn't do much with the Pack but.........

This exactly what I eante3d this offseason but wanted to give Smith one last chance then throw Brohm and Davis in there throughout the year if Smith didn't work to see what we have. With our defense playing the way they are playing glad Hill's in there. but would rather see Davis and Brohm behind him.
  • krich22
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
wait for the end of the season to decide maybe?
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by krich22:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
wait for the end of the season to decide maybe?

You took the time and effort to quote and repeat a post that was completely worthless the first time it was contributed? Nice.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Hill, and maybe Alex if he out performs Shaun during a training camp, can do well enough for us, especially in our current offense, until Nate has had the time to learn it and perfect his craft. Let Davis learn to be an NFL QB. If we drafted somebody they would need to learn the position anyway. Nate should be way ahead of anyone we would draft and he has the physical tools. That's a better scenario than bringing in someone and rushing them into the lineup. If one of our QBs goes somewhere, gets seriously injured, or can get us something in a trade, and someone reliable is sitting there for us in the draft great. That would be the time to go for it but we shouldn't feel pressured and screw up expensively.

Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by mustangmele:

Here's an interesting issue. Suppose Bradford comes to be considered the best franchise QB prospect in the last few years, and suppose there is a big drop-off from him to the rest of next year's class.

If he's projected to go in the top 2 or 3, should we consider combining picks to get him?

I think so assuming Carolina sucks enough for us to have a shot at drafting him.
I think you really have to wait till the end of the season. Hill may prove his lack of worth over the next 6 or 7 games. On the flipside, he may show that he will be around for a few years.

Has anyone thought of this? can we afford a first rund QB? We are paying crabtree money, Willis is going to get a huge contract next year, I think VD is coming up too... If Carolina's (or ours) draft pick ends up in the top ten, I do not think we can afford a 50 million dollar QB...

I, for one, am perfectly okay with any of the 3 we have right now, and do not want to spend huge dollars on a first rounder...
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

One thing...

~Ceadder

I tried to construct the choices so that nothing was left out. How would you summarize your opinion of our QB situation more precisely than what is presented in option #2?

I actually meant that I may take number 3. But I think that you missed another option and that is

(restructured of course) 4) Wait for Hill to be injured(Or to stink it up) and then see what we have in Smith in a completely different situation than what he is used to with this team. If he fails then the other options apply. If not, then we don't have to worry about it.

THAT's the one I would have voted for without question. It's not a matter that I think that Smith is good, bad or indifferent. It's about making absolutely CERTAIN that Smith is not the guy before we move on. He's only got a 2 year contract at the moment. Why not be proactive rather than just keeping him around out of some kind of misplaced loyalty. Which is what it's starting to look like to me.

~Ceadder
I think Hill has shown this year he can do what even some of the best QBs in the NFL cannot do, and that's make the clutch throws and 3rd down completions in a pressure situation. I like that better than the big arm. If we get a high pick QB who knows how he will do in those situations? We took our chance with that already.

If we get him some good protection and expand the passing attack once Crabtree is up to speed and Morgan (hopefully) catches on, we may have everything we ever needed for an offense.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by JC49:
Hill, and maybe Alex if he out performs Shaun during a training camp, can do well enough for us, especially in our current offense, until Nate has had the time to learn it and perfect his craft. Let Davis learn to be an NFL QB. If we drafted somebody they would need to learn the position anyway. Nate should be way ahead of anyone we would draft and he has the physical tools. That's a better scenario than bringing in someone and rushing them into the lineup. If one of our QBs goes somewhere, gets seriously injured, or can get us something in a trade, and someone reliable is sitting there for us in the draft great. That would be the time to go for it but we shouldn't feel pressured and screw up expensively.

I don't think you have to assume that a rookie QB is going to take years and years to become viable. Look at Matt Ryan last year. No one ever confused him with the next Peyton Manning. He was just a "pretty good" franchise QB prospect who was good enough to come off the board first at his position, and he played well in his first year. Look at Sanchez in a similar position right now.
Share 49ersWebzone