LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

QB Situation Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Situation Poll

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Any option works really, except for #4. I don't expect us to go after any QB unless someone so dominant that we can't pass on him falls to us.

I'd be quite all right with either Alex or Nate earning the right to start over Hill.

ya i agree i think alex is looking good and nate is a nice project /backup but we cant bench hill hes winning games for us
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I think Smith gets another shot, otherwise why did they resign him? I do not buy that they would pay someone that they didn't think could get the job done. He looked as good as Hill in the preseason, and in the raiders game, he looked better than Hill. Hill is the starter because Smith didn't clearly outplay him, but who is to say that it doesn't happen next season? If this doesn't happen then you have to get Davis in there for a shot, or draft another one and cross your fingers. I am not impressed by any of the QB's coming out of college this coming up year, I thought Snead might be good, but after seeing him play a couple of games this year, he is incredibly inconsistent and has times where he looks like he doesn't even belong out there.

Smith could do very well next year since it would be the second year in the same system. But what happens if he have to replace our OC again? He could revert back to the same QB we have seen in the past. I think you need a QB that can make things happen when the original plan didn't work. I'm not sold on Davis but I did see some magic in his play.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
I think Smith gets another shot, otherwise why did they resign him? I do not buy that they would pay someone that they didn't think could get the job done. He looked as good as Hill in the preseason, and in the raiders game, he looked better than Hill. Hill is the starter because Smith didn't clearly outplay him, but who is to say that it doesn't happen next season? If this doesn't happen then you have to get Davis in there for a shot, or draft another one and cross your fingers. I am not impressed by any of the QB's coming out of college this coming up year, I thought Snead might be good, but after seeing him play a couple of games this year, he is incredibly inconsistent and has times where he looks like he doesn't even belong out there.

Smith could do very well next year since it would be the second year in the same system. But what happens if he have to replace our OC again? He could revert back to the same QB we have seen in the past. I think you need a QB that can make things happen when the original plan didn't work. I'm not sold on Davis but I did see some magic in his play.

to be honesti dont really think he had a fair shot when he was starting
  • fanoe
  • Info N/A
I seriously can't believe people still think Alex Smith is the answer... crazy-talk
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by fanoe:
I seriously can't believe people still think Alex Smith is the answer... crazy-talk

Well, think about it. Hill has been very solid, but not spectacular. If Smith is able to get his ball-security and poise to near Hill's level as he matures, he'd start looking like a very good NFL quarterback.
  • fanoe
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TowelBoy:

Well, think about it. Hill has been very solid, but not spectacular. If Smith is able to get his ball-security and poise to near Hill's level as he matures, he'd start looking like a very good NFL quarterback.

Hill is a gamer because he makes good reads quickly... until Smith learns that aspect of his game, he'll never be a good nfl qb.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A

Hill is a gamer because he makes good reads quickly... until Smith learns that aspect of his game, he'll never be a good nfl qb.

Trust me, I'm not holding my breath. But Smith is a smart dude with a good arm, so it's not crazy to think he'll be a higher quality QB than Hill by the time he's, say, 29 years old.

Personally, I think I tend toward option 4...
  • ZRF80

Who is to say that it doesnt happen next season ?

Yeah, you keep holding out for that "next" season, buddy. It'll happen....eventually

[ Edited by ZRF80 on Oct 7, 2009 at 18:29:09 ]
Unless Hill gets injured, I wouldnt even worry about it

Originally posted by djfullshred:
I beleive in the old Bill Walsh philosophy...even if you have Joe Montana, you are still looking for the next guy to step in & take over. The 49ers don't seem to have that philosphy anymore, and the results show with their offense the last several years.

I agree but the inception of the Cap made that a luxury thought process. So we try to build through the draft and find the guy that will eventually replace the incumbent. Not that it's worked out like it was supposed to, since freakin Donahue mucked that up for us.

Cause remember Walsh did come back and retooled the team to fit within the constraints of the Cap. I thought he did a masterful job. But Terry Donahue went right back into the coffers and gave outlandish contracts to guys that would otherwise be scrubs on other teams. As evidenced by their shooting star careers in the NFL once they left the team.

~Ceadder
1st and foremost I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a qb this year.....

for this poll I voted to give Shaun a chance to prove himself over a couple of season....just to see what he can bring us.... I have stated before, if he can play like the way Rich Gannon played for the Raiders, late in his career, I would be ALL for that.

if not I'm fine with Davis as the potential future....

as far as Alex.....I don't think he'll ever over come his inability to read defenses quickly.....but, hey if is going to be around...and, well Shaun struggles, if Alex plays his ass off and earns the starting job, then he should get it.

Forget it man, there isn't a precedent for a QB who played for one team, that absolutely sucked for a few years before becoming a solid Player. One who retired with the same team that he started with...

...OH SNAP!!! Yeah there is, His name is Terry freakin Bradshaw. Though he DID play before the crystal ball QB Rating stat was devised. So no telling what would have happened had he had his rating determined over that span of suckiness. I imagine if our fans were running the Steelers at that time Bradshaw wouldn't be a four time Super Bowl Champion or a Hall of Famer.

It's a damn good thing that they don't run OUR team. Not that I'm equating Smith to anything other than the suckiness.

But one never knows until one addresses the OTHER contributing issues.

So far 3 out of 5 have been addressed.

Hell he may never amount to anything but those units still need to be addressed.

~Ceadder
No, the answer doesn't seem to be on the roster, gotta draft him.
I'm still rooting for Alex Smith, hopefully next year he'll get another shot to compete for a starting job.
Share 49ersWebzone