LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

QB Situation Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Situation Poll

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
find me someone nwew please for Nate davis to learn under. He could be a solid number two perhaps more. Never know till he plays. I'd like to See Alex and Hill gone. Experiment time over.

yet you want to experiment with a QB who has no practice time at QB this year other than what he did against 3rd and 4th string preseason players

I hear ya but I hear is as far as Alex Smith is concerned. You don't know how Nate Davis would fare any better than I do. My point about the experiment being over is that Alex is no better than a #2 and Hill the same. I think Davis has the ability to surplant both of them though we just need someone solid to start NOW.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Bring back Alex Smith but also draft another QB just in case Alex continues to fail. Always have a back up plan, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I wouldn't draft another QB. I would continue to develop Davis. Bring in a Veteran QB to back up Smith.

Davis is not the one. They should think about drafting Jimmy Clausen

we have bigger needs! doesn't matter who's back there if our o-line is still the s**tty mess it is today. i'm not defending alex, but we definitely have bigger needs -- OL/secondary

No other need is ever as big as the need for a quality QB.

my question to you: do you think Tom Brady would be the same Tom Brady behind this line? I feel you that we need a quality QB, and I am not saying Alex is or isn't, but I feel like if we gave him a better line and he didn't feel pressure instantly, he'd look better -- when he has had time he has looked efficient.

I'm not susweel, but several times hypotheticals like this have been brought up, but I think you miss a very important point: Alex Smith has ZERO pocket presence. Tom Brady has incredible pocket presence. Brady's presence alone would probably reduce our sacks (which at 36 rack 24th - down from 55 and last place the previous two years in a row). And then, that very presence would cause the line itself to develop more confidence and that would reduce the sacks some more.

I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade our line - we should. But it's not the reason Alex is a failure.

Back to Tom Brady: he is very accurate with his passes - something Alex has never been. How many times has Alex hung VD out to dry with high passes into double coverage that have gotten Vernon laid out? No wonder Alex doesn't rake Vernon over the coals for his drops! But Brady is not just super-accurate, he's super-competitive. He expects perfection of himself, and won't tolerate lack of it from his teammates. So I think we would no longer have two receivers among the league leaders in drops.

To me, all this stuff goes hand in hand, and that's why Alex has to go. Sometimes you change the one dysfunctional piece, and the whole machine starts humming again!
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
find me someone nwew please for Nate davis to learn under. He could be a solid number two perhaps more. Never know till he plays. I'd like to See Alex and Hill gone. Experiment time over.

yet you want to experiment with a QB who has no practice time at QB this year other than what he did against 3rd and 4th string preseason players

I hear ya but I hear is as far as Alex Smith is concerned. You don't know how Nate Davis would fare any better than I do. My point about the experiment being over is that Alex is no better than a #2 and Hill the same. I think Davis has the ability to surplant both of them though we just need someone solid to start NOW.

Once you're eliminated from the playoffs, the only reason NOT to experiment is because you might happen to be playing someone sill in contention (not the case with Detroit and St. Louis).

But I believe the Niner management doesn't want to tip its hand about how it's feeling about the QB position. There's nothing to be gained by letting the entire league know you're going to draft a QB. If the club plays it's cards right, they might be able to trade back to get picks and still pick up three blue chippers in the first two rounds, and with the extra picks add flexibility.
Anybody but Alex Smith should start next year. Anybody.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

its a good thing you dont run the team.

you were the guy saying "montana is a bum! walsh stinks, get rid of them!" after the 1980 season. not that theyre comparable to smith and sing, but it was you types of people that were screaming for change because of no patience.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

its a good thing you dont run the team.

you were the guy saying "montana is a bum! walsh stinks, get rid of them!" after the 1980 season. not that theyre comparable to smith and sing, but it was you types of people that were screaming for change because of no patience.

Oh god... Smith has had 5 god damn years. No patience???
HOnestly who cares about some of our bias's. How about we just go with what is, instead of all this nonsense talk of what ifs.

And ya'll kill me still. Alex played 5 full seasons. Oh really. I mean some of ya'll are worse than some HIll lovers. He sat for four years in minnesota, but did he play, hell no. He's just been around that long. Alex played one full season in his 5 year career so give me a break.

And please dont give me any what you guys call Alexcuses and s**t because Fact is, he's been on the team for 5 years, not played for 5 years straight. So maybe when we can differentiate between being on the team for 5 years, and playing straight for 5 years, then we can talk about other QB's.

And come on fellas. Tom Brady REally. I compared him to Brees, and someone said please not even in the same sentence, and ya'll compare him to Tom. Too funny. Why not compare him to, P. Manning, Joe Namath, and Bradshaw, and a few others for that matter.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
HOnestly who cares about some of our bias's. How about we just go with what is, instead of all this nonsense talk of what ifs.

And ya'll kill me still. Alex played 5 full seasons. Oh really. I mean some of ya'll are worse than some HIll lovers. He sat for four years in minnesota, but did he play, hell no. He's just been around that long. Alex played one full season in his 5 year career so give me a break.

And please dont give me any what you guys call Alexcuses and s**t because Fact is, he's been on the team for 5 years, not played for 5 years straight. So maybe when we can differentiate between being on the team for 5 years, and playing straight for 5 years, then we can talk about other QB's.

And come on fellas. Tom Brady REally. I compared him to Brees, and someone said please not even in the same sentence, and ya'll compare him to Tom. Too funny. Why not compare him to, P. Manning, Joe Namath, and Bradshaw, and a few others for that matter.

And by the way before i forget. Why dont we compare Smith to Smith, and no one else. Because if you look at him from 05 to now, he isnt the same QB, he's better. Next thing you know some of you are gonna tell me, that going from 16tds in one full season. To 16 in 6 games aint something big.

Maybe before the eagles game, one stat that stood out to me is that Smith threw 3 td's less than Mcnabb, and he's played in less time.

WE diss a guy because we dont like him, but say Championship teams is what makes the team something to be feared. And say what you want but i have yet to see, Rodgers, Mcnabb, Romo, get a ring. And they are proven QB's.
Shaun Hill will never start for the Niners again. Any argument supporting him is a waste of time and effort. He is not a starting NFL QB. Regardless of how Smith performs, he will not be handed the reins next year, or any other year after that. It is now Smith, and if Smith fails, Davis, and if Davis fails, who cares, we are eff'd. The Niners will not draft a QB with either of their first two picks for far too many reasons to even discuss. Suffice it to say, if they draft Bradford and Smith succeeds, they would have way too much money tied up at one position. It is simply a matter of economics at this point.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
I beleive in the old Bill Walsh philosophy...even if you have Joe Montana, you are still looking for the next guy to step in & take over. The 49ers don't seem to have that philosphy anymore, and the results show with their offense the last several years.

exactly, you have to have VISION. Franchises that just react, and think of "this year" never win anything

Vision? lol this organization has blinders on, from the coach on up to the owner.

Share 49ersWebzone