LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 378 users in the forums

Crabtree as Return Man

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for redrathman.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Jacka:
I can see Crabtree getting some run as the punt returner along with 5-10 snaps a game to get him worked into the mix. He would be a beast as a punt returner and a good way to get something out of him until he learns the offense

He's returned two kickoffs since High School.
He hasn't played meaningful football since December of 2008.
He doesn't know the offensive playbook, let alone the special teams playbook.
He's coming off a foot injury.

Let's see him run through a few weeks of practices and let him sit inactive before everyone anoints him.

Please explain to me why in the hell you would prefer Crabtree to be inactive? The niners have a simple playbook crabtree is not going to need long to learn it.

He hasn't played an actual game in 10 months and missed all of training camp and the preseason. He's a liability on the field, no matter how simple the playbook is.

Consider this: Brandon Jones missed part of training camp and all of the preseason. He was cleared to play two weeks ago and saw action last week, though almost exclusively on running downs. Don't expect Crabtree, who hasn't practiced at all with Hill and the team to come in and produce.

[ Edited by redrathman on Oct 7, 2009 at 11:27:59 ]
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by dr8van:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Terrible idea. Just because he's a good WR doesn't mean he's a good return man.

but it can...see deashwn jackson in philly and percy harvin in minnesota.

Terrible comparison, those guys are undersized speed/ quickness guys who returned kicks very well in college. Crabtree, who never returned a single kick in college, is closer to Boldin than anything and not built to return kicks.

if you go back to anquan boldins rookie year one of his first touchdowns as a nfl player was a punt return. he was a punt and kick returner!
Originally posted by alanbeez22:

Terrible comparison, those guys are undersized speed/ quickness guys who returned kicks very well in college. Crabtree, who never returned a single kick in college, is closer to Boldin than anything and not built to return kicks.

if you go back to anquan boldins rookie year one of his first touchdowns as a nfl player was a punt return. he was a punt and kick returner!

False.

Anquan Boldin returned 20 punts his rookie year, none of which went for more than 19 yards.

Please try again.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:

False.

Anquan Boldin returned 20 punts his rookie year, none of which went for more than 19 yards.

Please try again.

my bad... i coulda sworn i seen it on a highlite reel from nfl network... maybe it was pre-season... or JOHN TAYLOR! hahaha

[ Edited by alanbeez22 on Oct 7, 2009 at 11:37:04 ]
Share 49ersWebzone