There are 136 users in the forums

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
He signed a 6 year 32 mil. now baring any crazy incentives, it looks like Crabs got what he wanted.

Its ALL about the guaranteed money. He did not get close to what he (Parker) wanted.

1) 17 million guaranteed is a win for us.
2) 6 years is a win for us.
3) Pro Bowl / playoff incentives is a win for us.

Parker lost BIG TIME.

Parker can NEVER try this type of stunt again. Teams will laugh in his face knowing that he is full of it.

So has MadDog signed in yet?

-9fA

wait about a week
I want to hear the Parker backers takes on this.

Quote:
According to Pro Football Talk, the prolonged holdout got Parker and Crabtree nowhere. Although Crabtree's contract is one year longer than the deal ninth pick B.J. Raji signed with the Packers, Crabtree is still gets $700,000 less in guaranteed money.

Mike Florio of PFT concludes, it was a contract "that Crabtree could have done in July, which would have given him a much better chance of making a contribution to the 49ers during his rookie year."

and

Quote:
"Not just to prove a point, but what you do now is what happens in the future as well," McCloughan said. "When you start setting precedent you don't want to follow in the future, you can really handcuff your organization. There was no panic from ownership to the head coach. Not one time did they come to me and say, 'Listen, we have to have this guy in.' "

Which was scrutinized heavily.

From MM
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/did-holdout-accomplish-anything.html

[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 7, 2009 at 14:52:48 ]
Originally posted by Nuns:
Don't we need the terms of the contract before we can judge the standoff with any degree of credibility?

YES
Both sides lost essentially same agreement that Crabtree would have gotten in July, however if there must be a winner and loser since Parker’s PR dept is not sending out press releases and he did not attend the 49er media conf I would have to say the Niners won.

$17 million guaranteed
6 year agreement
Incentives that will be difficult to reach if he does then additional money deserved
Clauses if he attempts a hold out during the contract that will cost him money

Niners front office did a good job on this one and have let future agents and players know that they will be fair but not patsy’s.
The most important thing is that the deal is done, whether someone "won" or "lost".

In the end, as I predicted for some time now, it would take a unique contract to get both sides to agree, and one that both sides can claim victory. And, both sides did win, if the argument was about maintaining or breeching the slot.

And, as I predicted, the Niners held onto the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree signed out of the slot in total money.

While Mike Florio goes around pounding his chest in "victory", since he was an antagonist against the Crabtree postion from the beginning (Crabtree must have done something to him in a previous life), even he concedes that Crabtree's deal is better than Raji's (not in that language), as Raji can only close up to Crabtree's numbers if he hits his incentives, while Crabtree does not reach his. If both hit all incentives, Crabtree's contract far surpasses Raji's.

And, while those who stood against Crabtree are happy that this is a six year deal, and calculate the numbers in this way, in the end, with 5 or 6 missed games in 2009, this is really a prorated 5 2/3 year deal that could be voided down to a 4 2/3 year deal.

So, the real calculation for Crabtree's number should not be at 6 years, but 5.66 years, since he did not join the team until today.

So, with no penalties for signing late, 5.66 years at a base of $32 million (6 years at $40 million is the number if escalators are hit) is not bad. Certainly, Crabtree and Parker won this battle. Raji's base is 5 years at $22.5 million.

I think both sides are satisfied with the contract. The Niners admirably fought hard to stick to the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree was able to generate an outstanding payday ahead over the life of this contract. It will be interesting to hear how this contract played out in the mind of Eugene Parker, but he rarely, if ever, discusses contracts with the media. He is more of a ghost than anything else.

P.S. I believe that some people who are desperate to claim a Crabtree defeat state that this contract was the same offered in July. I sincerely doubt that this was the same one. I think both sides met in the middle, and this contract was not the one originally offered by the Niners (even in a 5-year deal).

Cheers.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The most important thing is that the deal is done, whether someone "won" or "lost".

In the end, as I predicted for some time now, it would take a unique contract to get both sides to agree, and one that both sides can claim victory. And, both sides did win, if the argument was about maintaining or breeching the slot.

And, as I predicted, the Niners held onto the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree signed out of the slot in total money.

While Mike Florio goes around pounding his chest in "victory", since he was an antagonist against the Crabtree postion from the beginning (Crabtree must have done something to him in a previous life), even he concedes that Crabtree's deal is better than Raji's (not in that language), as Raji can only close up to Crabtree's numbers if he hits his incentives, while Crabtree does not reach his. If both hit all incentives, Crabtree's contract far surpasses Raji's.

And, while those who stood against Crabtree are happy that this is a six year deal, and calculate the numbers in this way, in the end, with 5 or 6 missed games in 2009, this is really a prorated 5 2/3 year deal that could be voided down to a 4 2/3 year deal.

So, the real calculation for Crabtree's number should not be at 6 years, but 5.66 years, since he did not join the team until today.

So, with no penalties for signing late, 5.66 years at a base of $32 million (6 years at $40 million is the number if escalators are hit) is not bad. Certainly, Crabtree and Parker won this battle. Raji's base is 5 years at $22.5 million.

I think both sides are satisfied with the contract. The Niners admirably fought hard to stick to the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree was able to generate an outstanding payday ahead over the life of this contract. It will be interesting to hear how this contract played out in the mind of Eugene Parker, but he rarely, if ever, discusses contracts with the media. He is more of a ghost than anything else.

P.S. I believe that some people who are desperate to claim a Crabtree defeat state that this contract was the same offered in July. I sincerely doubt that this was the same one. I think both sides met in the middle, and this contract was not the one originally offered by the Niners (even in a 5-year deal).

Cheers.

Simply unbelievable.
^^ Where the hell did you get $40M from?

-9fA

-9fA

NFL.com
Signing status of 2009 NFL Draft first-round picks
1st round signing status
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Cheers.

Simply unbelievable.

Thank you.

Cheers.

Simply unbelievable.

Thank you.

The logic and argumentative points that you use here are simply flabbergasting, and not in a complimentary way. I understand that you had a lot invested in your point of view, but this borders on parody.

-9fA

NFL.com
1st round signing status

Cheers.

I still think you're wrong on this one.

I don't see how this contract is in anyway unique. It is unique because of the holdout into the regular season, it is NOT unique because of his expected draft status.

What mattered to me was the guaranteed money. Or the "real money" as Sanders likes to put it. The fact that we remained inside the slot is big deal for me. If I recall correctly, you claimed that we would have to go outside the slot for the deal to be done.

This is just me speculating, but i doubt that a good portion of those escalators are going to be hit. I think that Crabtree caved seeing how we were able to win without him. If we were 0-4 instead, i think it would be us who would be initiating the phone call.

-9fA
it is pete. he obviously knows he is wrong, hence the smiley at the end of his post... its his way of skipping out on taking the blame of all of his comments the past few months. In other words he's just trying to say "oh guys, I was just joshin ya! we're good, right? "

not working

Cheers.

Simply unbelievable.

Come on bro, you didn't really think MD would admit to being wrong. It's just not in his personality. MadDog, I'm on 49ers ecstacy right now, so I love all things 49ers, including all the fans, including you.....

I love you man.
49ers = pacman

crabtree = delahoya

-9fA

NFL.com
1st round signing status

Cheers.

I still think you're wrong on this one.

I don't see how this contract is in anyway unique. It is unique because of the holdout into the regular season, it is NOT unique because of his expected draft status.

What mattered to me was the guaranteed money. Or the "real money" as Sanders likes to put it. The fact that we remained inside the slot is big deal for me. If I recall correctly, you claimed that we would have to go outside the slot for the deal to be done.

This is just me speculating, but i doubt that a good portion of those escalators are going to be hit. I think that Crabtree caved seeing how we were able to win without him. If we were 0-4 instead, i think it would be us who would be initiating the phone call.

-9fA

The escalators are rather unlikely, whereas the escalators in Raji's contract are much, much more attainable/likely. And as you said, the guaranteed money is only $17M.

And all of it falls WELL short of the often discussed DHB figure.
Share 49ersWebzone