There are 175 users in the forums

Mike Nolan Built this Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really like Nolan, that being said we need it a change and it was Great we hire the Samurai... I am really happy he is doing good in Denver I hope he can get another opportunity as a head coach I just hope it isn't in the NFC west because I know he is going to use all his experience and be a really good head coach...

go niners
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Ah Mike Nowin....he's gone, and it was a long time coming.

Of course he did some good things....most were by accident rather than design.

He drafted Smith over Rodgers.
Threw Smith to the wolves first thing, while Rodgers was slowly groomed into a starter.
He started trading solid contributors left and right for 7th round picks....who he converted into no-talent yes-men like Billy Bajema and Mr. Whiteboy Dredlock
He started wearing a suit on the sidelines just like he did during his many Powerpoint presentations filled with idealistic buzzwords.
Eventually he threw his pet QB under the bus

well not necessarily just his QB

WZ Classic!!!
Any fantasy league amateur could have drafted as many good players if they were at the very front of the drafting line every year like Nolan was.

Hell, if you guarantee not to fire me for 5 years, I'd totally tank the first couple of seasons just to get the top picks in the draft, then we'd be set for a decade.
He didn't want Willis . . . remember?
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:

I believe that was Singletary.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Yes he did. Good talent evaluator but bad coach. Great DC but some guys are just better off doing just that. I think Norv leaving killed his career. If Norv wouldn't have left I really feel Smith would have blossomed and Nolan could have focused on D.

Your absolutely right. Besides Norv ability to help with grooming Alex and helping him meet his potential Norv was helpful in being a sounding board for Nolan when it came to dealing with players and the media. Norv Turner set this team back as much as Nolan did.

Lot people including myself complained about some of his FA and draft choices such as Clements, Justin Smith, McDonald, Staley, Franklin, and others but give credit to Nolan he had a good eye for evaluating talent especially on defense.

I am tired of the Smith vs Rodgers comparisons.

Smith played on a team that was essentially an expansion team. No OL, no defense, Barlow was our running back (Gore was a rookie that year), and Smith mentor was Tom Rattay, McCarthy was already looking for a head coaching job, he gets to deal with 5 different OC and a coach who does not understand how to deal with QB’s.

Rodgers gets to watch and learn from a future HOF QB (even if he is a pr**ck) for 3 years, they have a good RB, veteran WR in Driver, a defense that can win games for them when the offense isn’t getting it done, same OC for 3 years and a strong organization that makes the playoffs and almost goes to the SB one year while he is sitting on the bench learning.

Hmmmmm let me see who is going to have more success? I am looking forward to Smith being traded so he can start over and we no longer have this debate.
With the help of Scottie Mac, and then couldn't coach it. End of story.

yah singletary admitted he wasn't that high on willis
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

Wow.
Nolan was not Head Coach materiel period, maybe in time but he was certainly not up to the task, as for personnel he was average at best, 3 years 5 first round picks (one first over all), and the largest amount of cap room in NFL history! With all he had to work with he actually UNDER achieved!

Nolan was a Nightmare

[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Oct 5, 2009 at 22:00:27 ]

Originally posted by Schulzy:

Wow.

I know....lets never speak of it again
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
With the help of Scottie Mac, and then couldn't coach it. End of story.

True, I agree a lot of the player personnel questions were McCloughan's doing. Yes, it was Nolan's final say, but I really believe he trusted the majority of McCloughan's decisions when it came to drafting.

I think Mike Nolan had a lot of good ideas, but the majority of his decisions were weird, and the Alex Smith situation killed his tenure as coach. I think he'll be a good coach somewhere down the line, but he had too much on his plate as a first-time head coach, taking a 2-14 team, getting the first overall pick in a bad draft, and being, pretty much, the head coach/GM of the team. The only guys I'd trust as the HC/GM of the team are experienced guys like Mike Holmgren, and I'm still iffy about giving him 100% control.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Wow.

I know....lets never speak of it again

I wouldn't be surprised if Singletary isn't that impressed with ANY linebacker. Given that he's Mike frik'n Singletary, he sees a Hall of Fame linebacker every time he looks in the mirror. When he sees Willis, he probably only saw a guy with little technique, relying on his power, speed, and athleticism. It's the job of scouts and our GM to decide the potential of a player.
nolan built the team but he couldn't motivate his players to use their god given talent just look at V. Davis and look at him now a pro bowl tight end who would had believe. Late last year a lot of people on this board are calling him a bust.
Samuri Mike made them play to their potential
Share 49ersWebzone