There are 203 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bigger running backs

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by kray28:
Is that what Barlow is up to these days?

He made enough money to live comfortably for while....it is all gone already?

Hookers and blow?

...........and the rest was wasted!

Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Finally we will face a QB that could give the secondary a real challenge.

I thought that Warner was a real QB, and you watching this MNF game, this guy named Favre that we played last week is dominating the game.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Is it just me or do the 49er running backs look tiny. Yesterday Glen Coffee looked very small and fragile. Kory sheets, the other draft pick is also small. And then I looked at Steven Jackson, pretty strong physically.

If our OLine cannot "push" the defensive line back enough, a bigger and more explosive back might help a little.

The top two Rushers in League history are under 5-9 and 210 pounds.
Originally posted by Pogity:
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Well, Coffee looked "weak" this game, I remember a couple of plays were he would try to lower his shoulder and go through the defender, but with little or no effect...it's to soon to tell, but if he turns out to be average, that will look like a waste of a pick.

Why? He was a 3rd rd pick brought here to back up frank gore and give him a breather. He wasn't brought here to become Adrian Peterson.

I think its pretty obvious that Coffee is nothing but an average at best RB. He isn't particularly strong, fast, or agile, and you need to be good at at least one of those things if you want to be a real NFL player.

For a 3rd round pick he doesn't show much ability . An example of an nice 3rd round pickup that would be an excellent complement to Gore is Jerious Norwood on the falcons. He balls as a backup to the main guy Turner.

BTW the last play in this vid is absolutely sick... I can imagine Gore or Sheets doing it but not Coffee.

Should get a lot of Norwood and Turner this Sunday. Finally we will face a QB that could give the secondary a real challenge.

Is anyone else nervous. That highlight reel is scary, we could easily fall far behind in an instant. Matt Ryan scares me too.

not worried at all...... Cards have a better passing game..... Vikes had a better running game..... so unless Atlanta tries to keep us guessing and brings out a good game plan...we should do well against them.

what I like about yesterday's game was how we blitzed Willis even though we had a big lead.... if we can pressure Ryan we should do well.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Is it just me or do the 49er running backs look tiny. Yesterday Glen Coffee looked very small and fragile. Kory sheets, the other draft pick is also small. And then I looked at Steven Jackson, pretty strong physically.

If our OLine cannot "push" the defensive line back enough, a bigger and more explosive back might help a little.

Kory Sheets wasn't a draft pick. He signed as an unrestricted free agent after going undrafted out of Purdue.

It's the play of the offensive line, not the size of the running back, that has caused concern. It won't matter if the 49ers have an defensive tackle running the rock; if running lanes and holes aren't opening up, backs can't gain yardage.

Not always true Jim Brown, John Riggins, and Earl Campbell and a few others ran over people instead of around them.

Right. So clearly, we need a Hall of Fame running back from the 1970's.

lol seriously its not even the same game anymore there will never be another Jim Brown who can dominate 220 pound white defensive linemen.

Maybe that's why jackson was a 1st round pick and Coffee is a 3rd and Sheets is an undrafted FA.
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Well, Coffee looked "weak" this game, I remember a couple of plays were he would try to lower his shoulder and go through the defender, but with little or no effect...it's to soon to tell, but if he turns out to be average, that will look like a waste of a pick.

Why? He was a 3rd rd pick brought here to back up frank gore and give him a breather. He wasn't brought here to become Adrian Peterson.

I think its pretty obvious that Coffee is nothing but an average at best RB. He isn't particularly strong, fast, or agile, and you need to be good at at least one of those things if you want to be a real NFL player.

For a 3rd round pick he doesn't show much ability . An example of an nice 3rd round pickup that would be an excellent complement to Gore is Jerious Norwood on the falcons. He balls as a backup to the main guy Turner.

BTW the last play in this vid is absolutely sick... I can imagine Gore or Sheets doing it but not Coffee.

Should get a lot of Norwood and Turner this Sunday. Finally we will face a QB that could give the secondary a real challenge.

You do realize that the 9ers have played 3/4 games against QBs that have taken their teams to Superbowls.
Originally posted by ptw1:

You do realize that the 9ers have played 3/4 games against QBs that have taken their teams to Superbowls.

I don't think most realize this.... I forgot Hassleback and company got robbed by the NFL that one year.

Great point by the way.
Size for a running back should be an after thought. Vision and the ability to burst through the hole should be paramount when evaluating a running back. Size is great if you have it but I would rather have a RB with vision, burst, then size in that order.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Size doesn't matter (at least for running backs).