LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Bigger running backs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know of one RB available now we can get... he is 6-1 238lbs and runs a 4.5 40 time and is agile.

well, actually Barlow might be over 238lbs now and maybe not so 4.5ish, 40 time wise...

What used to drive me nuts about him was that he was a 235+ pound back who thought he was a 190 pound back. Instead of just bulling his way through and gaining yards (which he did well when he did it), he would instead just kind of dance around back there and get tackled. He had a lot of potential, but it was never realized.

he should've tried to emulate Fred Taylor instead of Barry Sanders....

they are have the same build.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Is that what Barlow is up to these days?

He made enough money to live comfortably for while....it is all gone already?

Hookers and blow?
Well, Coffee looked "weak" this game, I remember a couple of plays were he would try to lower his shoulder and go through the defender, but with little or no effect...it's to soon to tell, but if he turns out to be average, that will look like a waste of a pick.
My problem with our play calling is, we have our guards/tackles whatever pulling on almost every run call.

While they are pulling the d is just shooting the gaps.

whatever happened to telling our guys to get a hat, on a hat, and make a hole.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Well, Coffee looked "weak" this game, I remember a couple of plays were he would try to lower his shoulder and go through the defender, but with little or no effect...it's to soon to tell, but if he turns out to be average, that will look like a waste of a pick.

Why? He was a 3rd rd pick brought here to back up frank gore and give him a breather. He wasn't brought here to become Adrian Peterson.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
My problem with our play calling is, we have our guards/tackles whatever pulling on almost every run call.

While they are pulling the d is just shooting the gaps.

whatever happened to telling our guys to get a hat, on a hat, and make a hole.

I think some of our guys are missing the guy they are supposed to put a hat on, and then on other times getting manhandled by the guy they put the hat on. These guys have a lot of work to do in getting better.
Originally posted by redmanc07:

Why? He was a 3rd rd pick brought here to back up frank gore and give him a breather. He wasn't brought here to become Adrian Peterson.

I think its pretty obvious that Coffee is nothing but an average at best RB. He isn't particularly strong, fast, or agile, and you need to be good at at least one of those things if you want to be a real NFL player.

For a 3rd round pick he doesn't show much ability . An example of an nice 3rd round pickup that would be an excellent complement to Gore is Jerious Norwood on the falcons. He balls as a backup to the main guy Turner.

BTW the last play in this vid is absolutely sick... I can imagine Gore or Sheets doing it but not Coffee.

[ Edited by confusedrhino on Oct 5, 2009 at 15:41:44 ]
Running back has nothing to do with size. LT is small and has been one of the best backs as well as Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Warrick Dunn. Coffee is not small.

He is 6'0 210lbs. That's enough to play running back not fullback. The problem with some big backs like Brandon Jacobs is that they are so big it's hard for them sometimes to keep their pad level low. Gore and other smaller sized back have power, speed and most importantly vision. Not everyone can run like Earl Campbell and Walter Payton.
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

I think its pretty obvious that Coffee is nothing but an average at best RB. He isn't particularly strong, fast, or agile, and you need to be good at at least one of those things if you want to be a real NFL player.

For a 3rd round pick he doesn't show much ability . An example of an nice 3rd round pickup that would be an excellent complement to Gore is Jerious Norwood on the falcons. He balls as a backup to the main guy Turner.

BTW the last play in this vid is absolutely sick... I can imagine Gore or Sheets doing it but not Coffee.

Should get a lot of Norwood and Turner this Sunday. Finally we will face a QB that could give the secondary a real challenge.
  • Envy
  • Veteran

He isn't a waste of a pick he just needs to develop. His isn't weak either but there is no denying he is a slight players. He does not carry the same bulk as other backs. This can change over the next season or two.

I'm not concerned with him being top heavy though. I'd rather he worked on building up his pins because that is where the damage occurs.

Coffee is a rookie. It is impossible at this point to say that his level of play is based on one factor or another.

Give the kid a chance to develop (2 seasons maybe?) and if he continues to struggle then we can make judgements about whether he is good and based on what.
Originally posted by kray28:
Is that what Barlow is up to these days?

He made enough money to live comfortably for while....it is all gone already?

Hookers and blow?

...........and the rest was wasted!
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

Should get a lot of Norwood and Turner this Sunday. Finally we will face a QB that could give the secondary a real challenge.

Is anyone else nervous. That highlight reel is scary, we could easily fall far behind in an instant. Matt Ryan scares me too.
Coffee vs Rams: 24 carries, 0 fumbles.

Dude is plenty tough.
Coffee's chicken legs ........
Share 49ersWebzone