LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Bigger running backs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is it just me or do the 49er running backs look tiny. Yesterday Glen Coffee looked very small and fragile. Kory sheets, the other draft pick is also small. And then I looked at Steven Jackson, pretty strong physically.

If our OLine cannot "push" the defensive line back enough, a bigger and more explosive back might help a little.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Is it just me or do the 49er running backs look tiny. Yesterday Glen Coffee looked very small and fragile. Kory sheets, the other draft pick is also small. And then I looked at Steven Jackson, pretty strong physically.

If our OLine cannot "push" the defensive line back enough, a bigger and more explosive back might help a little.

what did that big strong man do against us?

Kory Sheets wasn't a draft pick. He signed as an unrestricted free agent after going undrafted out of Purdue.

It's the play of the offensive line, not the size of the running back, that has caused concern. It won't matter if the 49ers have an defensive tackle running the rock; if running lanes and holes aren't opening up, backs can't gain yardage.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrathman:

Kory Sheets wasn't a draft pick. He signed as an unrestricted free agent after going undrafted out of Purdue.

It's the play of the offensive line, not the size of the running back, that has caused concern. It won't matter if the 49ers have an defensive tackle running the rock; if running lanes and holes aren't opening up, backs can't gain yardage.

Not always true Jim Brown, John Riggins, and Earl Campbell and a few others ran over people instead of around them.
When Gore is healthy, we'll be fine. Our offensive line needs to get more push off the ball. Now that Raye is mixing it up a little with quick screen passes, hopefully defenses won't be putting 9 in the box.
Originally posted by BobS:

Not always true Jim Brown, John Riggins, and Earl Campbell and a few others ran over people instead of around them.

Right. So clearly, we need a Hall of Fame running back from the 1970's.
  • dj43
Jackson is one of the very biggest backs in the league.

Gore and Coffee are fine. Better guard play will make them look a lot bigger...so will better play from the ROT...along with more diversity in play calling.
The issue isn't the running backs it is the blocking schemes that the offensive line is using. They are not getting any push and are not creating holes.
Originally posted by BobS:

Right. So clearly, we need a Hall of Fame running back from the 1970's.

lol seriously its not even the same game anymore there will never be another Jim Brown who can dominate 220 pound white defensive linemen.

Yup, he looked like a lineman when about 5 of those defenders jumped him.

it's yo ass, mister big man.

also, IMO, bigger backs tend to be prone to more injuries.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

SJax is one of the biggest backs in the league (next to Brandon Jacobs)....next to them, everyone is tiny.
I know of one RB available now we can get... he is 6-1 238lbs and runs a 4.5 40 time and is agile.

well, actually Barlow might be over 238lbs now and maybe not so 4.5ish, 40 time wise...
Originally posted by backontop:
The issue isn't the running backs it is the blocking schemes that the offensive line is using. They are not getting any push and are not creating holes.

I tink our O-line should do more straight ahead blocking & cut down on all this pulling by the guards because they are getting blown up.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know of one RB available now we can get... he is 6-1 238lbs and runs a 4.5 40 time and is agile.

well, actually Barlow might be over 238lbs now and maybe not so 4.5ish, 40 time wise...

What used to drive me nuts about him was that he was a 235+ pound back who thought he was a 190 pound back. Instead of just bulling his way through and gaining yards (which he did well when he did it), he would instead just kind of dance around back there and get tackled. He had a lot of potential, but it was never realized.
Share 49ersWebzone