Can we win in the playoffs?

Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Where's SanDiego49er???

Please, tell me some more about how Shaun Hill sucks. I love it, can't get enough of it.

this is a 49er thread, but really... Shaun Hill has played lights out with bad play calling and no real receiver talent. His best player out there is Vernon Davis, and haters will moan and b***h, but the truth is the puddin'.

Look at the numbers, watch the games, its all there right in front of us... I don't care what anyone on this site says, Shaun Hill is the man, Vernon Davis is the man. They come through when they need to, more than we have had in years.

I just love how some fans will rip Hill but all he ever does is WIN.

What is he at home now?

9-0 or 10-0?

Seriously, hello?

What are his stats this year?

62.3 %
5 TD's
1 int
93.3 rating...

With Glen Coffee running? Sorry folks, but Coffee is a rookie and played like ass, with dropped passes and missed lanes, but Hill kept up alive with s**tty oline play and no running game.. Impressive!

That deserves a

I'm serious, can you really argue other wise? People compare him to trent dilfer, but the stats are NOTHING alike. Dilfer never played a full season and played solid, he was always the "oh s**t, he f**ked up lets fix it" guy (defense had to fix it)... Shaun Hill is not that guy, if this o-line were to play to its potential we would be set, I am really upset with our O-line and offensive play calling, it is our only hold back.

Can you imagine what we could do with good play calling and solid o-line play?

dont think people are saying he is bad, just he isnt the long term answer. But he is a great game manager, but a game manager is not a long term solution.
We need to focus on making it to the playoffs before wanting to know if we can win a game in the playoffs. We still have a long way to go its not time to get ahead of ourselfs.
Want to know a funny statistic? Shaun Hill has a higher QB rating than Tom Brady lol. Who knows, what we might do if the o-line gets it together?
While I believe in taking it one game at a time ...... our defense is playing some unbelievably great ball. I agree the offensive line needs work on both pass blocking and run blocking , Singletary keeps saying they will continue to improve and he was right on when he said the defense would bring a rush and pressure ...... we're 3-0 in our own division.

[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Oct 5, 2009 at 02:06:24 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Yes, the only 2 teams in the NFC that we will have trouble with are the Eagles and Saints. I believe that we can beat them at home, but going on the road and beating them is going to be a tough challenge.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
I think you're putting the cart in front of the horse. Four weeks down and this team needs to make the playoffs before this poll is relevant. But to play along, the offense will have to improve for this team to win a playoff game.

Agreed and this team has yet to show any real offense - they have to be mroe reactive Hill has got to do a better job at the line of recognizing this DEF and making adjustments - these next 6 weeks are pretty rough - and it starts with the Falcons.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think we make them, and only because our division is horrible. I don't think anyone is concerned that our offense is ranked 28th in total yardage? Unless things improve drastically this team crawls in at 9-7 and gets blown out in the first round. That is still a welcome improvement from the past 6 years.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
I think we make them, and only because our division is horrible. I don't think anyone is concerned that our offense is ranked 28th in total yardage? Unless things improve drastically this team crawls in at 9-7 and gets blown out in the first round. That is still a welcome improvement from the past 6 years.

If we win the division which is likely, we'll get a home playoff game. I think we can compete with any team at The Stick. Maybe not a sure win but be competetive at least. Have we ever been blown out under Singletary? I can't remember one.
Let's not get too carried away. The division is the weakest in the league. Half the Pac12 could beat the Rams and Seattle. Even if they win the division, it won't mean an awful lot.

After Atlanta, Houston and Indy, we will have a much better idea. If the 49ers can win 2 of those 3, they might be playoff material. However, I seriously doubt this team has the offensive weapons to get past the first weekend. They would be playing the lesser of the wild card teams, and there will be some very good wild card teams.
Wow, I was really drunk when I posted this... but I think I stand by everything I said.
I believe the 9ers can win in the playoffs, but I'll be content just to make the playoffs. It can be something to build upon, especially if we beef up the O line and special teams during the draft. We need to find ourselves a Jake Long and Percy Harvin (for returns) in the 1st round.