LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

What happened to Joe Staley?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He played very well in the first two games. But he had a tough time with Jared Allen last week and made a couple of mistakes today.

He needs to be more consistent for a guy we gave a big deal to. I can see it there, but not all the time.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
He is solid, but our oline is our weak link when it should be one of our strong points, because I honestly believe the talent is there.
He's a STUD

[ Edited by Giant9er on Oct 4, 2009 at 22:10:32 ]
Originally posted by Schulzy:
He played very well in the first two games. But he had a tough time with Jared Allen last week and made a couple of mistakes today.

He needs to be more consistent for a guy we gave a big deal to. I can see it there, but not all the time.

If I remember correctly, Staley was beat on the very first play of the game, but after that Allen didn't do anything else and got shutout. Anybody want to chime in?
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

If I remember correctly, Staley was beat on the very first play of the game, but after that Allen didn't do anything else and got shutout. Anybody want to chime in?

You're right about that, but he also had a tough time with him in run blocking.

You're right about that, but he also had a tough time with him in run blocking.

Staley didn't have a hard time with Allen on running plays. Were we watching the same game here?

All Jared Allen was doing was running upfield into the backfield over and over again. All he did was pass rush and didn't really play the run. I saw him overplay the run on several occassions because he was rushing upfield. When they did run on Jared Allen's side, Staley was having his way on Allen.
I know the O-line isn't playing great (especially Chilo and whoever is at RT) but I'm not gonna put the blame fully on them.

I'm putting it on Raye.

He calls way too many sets where our offense is crunched up. This allows the defense to blitzkrieg our line...this has happened in EVERY game so far. That's why Hill never has time to complete a pass...if he steps up in the pocket, often times he's sacked.

This might sound crazy, but we need to use more 4 and 5 wide shotgun sets to spread the defenses out. We also need to use screens at more opportune times. It seems like Raye likes those plays but he never calls them at the right time. Also, why don't we pitch the ball to the outside more? That's something I don't get. We only did that like once or twice today. If we don't do these things, our line gets way too many men sent at it. Teams are blitzing us often out of those crunch formations because they know we're gonna run it 7 times out of 10.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Yes Staley is playing very good football right now. Now if we can get a RT to match him we will be much better.

Michael Oher! (Oh wait...)

Actually drafting Oher would be looking pretty good right now considering how well he's played and how big of a douche Crabtree is. I know it's hindsight, but just saying.

agreed

Yes Staley is playing very good football right now. Now if we can get a RT to match him we will be much better.

Actually drafting Oher would be looking pretty good right now considering how well he's played and how big of a douche Crabtree is. I know it's hindsight, but just saying.

agreed

Yup
Staley also talks a lot to the media. Always finding quotes about how they can be better, etc. Very humble guy

Originally posted by 49er4life:

agreed

Yup

Sorry, disagreed. If Crabtree was there at 10 and we passed on him, no matter who we got (at the time), I, as well as a lot of people here, would have been extremely pissed. It would have been like passing on VD at the time IMO. Everyone wanted him, and finally now, 3 seasons later he's finally showing his impressive talents.
if i had to pick an MVP of the OL, id take Eric Heitmann every time.

Heitmann has been the model of consistency. hes one of the very best C in the game, and has been a perennial pro bowl performer who never got a pro bowl selection due to the rest of his lines being crappy.

i remember when he was just a G, asked to fill in at C for an injured Jeremy Newberry, and since then hes become an elite NFL C. Eric Heitmann is the MAN. way underrated, even among the 49er fanbase.

and what a steal, 7th round pick.
I can recall one bad play from Staley yesterday. He let Chris Long slam inside forcing Hill to step to his left right into a sack by a blitzing Larry Grant.

Other than that, he's been our best OL.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I know the O-line isn't playing great (especially Chilo and whoever is at RT) but I'm not gonna put the blame fully on them.

I'm putting it on Raye.

He calls way too many sets where our offense is crunched up. This allows the defense to blitzkrieg our line...

This is overlooked. They can't block their guy, plus a lot of blitzing people coming from all directions. The fact that they can ever block successfully is amazing to me.

Then they get criticized in the press and thrown under the bus by straight-shootin' Sing...
Is he still with the team? I never hear his name. He must not be good!

The fact that we don't hear Joe Staley's name reflects his steady fundamental play without any breakdowns, holding calls, getting beat around the corner, getting bullrushed, etc.

The dude is playing at a pro bowl level. We hit a homerun with this guy fellas!

Thank God because Staley and Heitman are the only 2 playing at a high level consistently. Snyder has been ok so has Pashos but our Guards are awful, if this continues we need to move Snyder to G play Pashos at RT and bring Wraage off the bench.
Share 49ersWebzone